Is it good for MMA that "3rd tier" fighters will be in the prime-time, major network debut?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is it good for MMA that "3rd tier" fighters will be in the prime-time, major network debut?
AchillesHeel
3/20/08 4:32:31PM
So I was looking at the MMA Weekly story about the debut of ProElite on CBS, and one of the first things I thought was, "Kimbo Slice is leading the way into prime-time television. Kimbo Slice is going to be the face of MMA to mainstream America. Kimbo Slice?"

Okay, maybe I'm overreacting (but maybe I'm not), but at the very least, Kimbo and Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith are going to be among the first MMA fighters that Joe & Jane Average see. I mean, how many people are going to think "what the heck is this 'ultimate fighting' thing all about?" - and then decide to tune into ProElite on CBS? Like, a billion, I would think.

Not to take anything away from those fighters above, but they ain't exactly the sport's elite. When someone around here asked "Which UFC Heavyweights could take Kimbo?" about a year ago, the consensus answer was the classic line from Terminator 2: "Um... All of 'em, I think..." Kimbo has improved since then, and Lawler and Smith are well-respected around the way, but still...

Is this a positive development for the sport?
NatedawgThaM
3/20/08 4:45:26PM
Yeah it is!!! Robbie is better then ever, and Scott is a great brawler. There trying to put on great fights to make people interested first. Did you really expect Randy vs Fedor?

Kimbo is a big name on the internet and who does not want to see two brawlers going at it and for the middleweight title!!!!

I'm excited. Robbie is making his way back in to the UFC I hope, and is better then ever and I think he should be the main event!!! Kimbo has tons of potential if he develops a Guillotine and a triangle choke off his back. Robbie and Kimbo are the face of EliteXC. Exciting brawlers. The only other popular guy there missing is Nick Diaz. There doing the best they can with what they got.

I THINK IT'S GREAT!!!
chubbud22
3/20/08 5:04:13PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Yeah it is!!! Robbie is better then ever, and Scott is a great brawler. There trying to put on great fights to make people interested first. Did you really expect Randy vs Fedor?

Kimbo is a big name on the internet and who does not want to see two brawlers going at it and for the middleweight title!!!!

I'm excited. Robbie is making his way back in to the UFC I hope, and is better then ever and I think he should be the main event!!! Kimbo has tons of potential if he develops a Guillotine and a triangle choke off his back. Robbie and Kimbo are the face of EliteXC. Exciting brawlers. The only other popular guy there missing is Nick Diaz. There doing the best they can with what they got.

I THINK IT'S GREAT!!!

I agree 100%. They are trying to get people interested in MMA by puttin on brawlers, wich the average mma fan loves to see. Imagine if they had Matt Hamil vsRahad Evans and they just layed on eachother the whole fight for the first Main Event; most people would say this sucks and never watch again,but put brawlers like Lawler and Kimbo on the card even though I dont think Kimbo is as good as hes cracked up to be people will come back to watch imo.
JimiMak
3/20/08 5:17:31PM
I'm getting sick of everyone talking about this being bad for the sport.

First, any time real sanctioned MMA is on free tv it is good for the sport. The biggest problem this sport has is lack of exposure.

Second, the haters will always pick a part anything we put on, no matter how good or bad. But those ppl will get fewer and furthur between as time goes on.

Third, everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows UFC is #1 (in america) They know it's minor league. The general public isn't (not saying noone is) thinking jsut cuz it's on CBS that Kimbo is better than Chuck.

The bottom line is that ppl like to see fights and the better card it is the more it will help the sport. If it sucks or doesn't do well, it won't have much affect cuz it was a "no name" promotion. That would hurt the company not the sport. We're in the lucky position of always gaining and looking up. In many ppl's opinions we're "so low we have nowhere to go but up" It's hard to get worse. We're climbing up the public recognition ladder everytime we get exposure.
pmeout
3/20/08 5:49:23PM
Probably yes if people see exciting fights it will only draw them to the UFC. I think its natural progression.
jiujitsufreak74
3/20/08 7:02:41PM
only reason i don't like this deal is the way ProElite markets Kimbo. the make him out to be this over glorified street brawler which is bad for the sport. did any of you guys watch the last Elite XC? it was sickening how much they were blatantly trying to appeal to the "urban" youth of America. if they do this on national TV it will be bad for the public interpretation of MMA. i would feel a lot more comfortable if it was the UFC, but that is obvious. the ball is in ProElite's court and lets just hope they don't f**k up with it. this is a very delicate situation and our ambassador to the millions who watch CBS isn't our best example which worries me a bit.