Good Gyms in Columbus Ohio?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Good Gyms in Columbus Ohio?
Brownsfan222
5/7/07 10:25:59AM
Any good MMA, MT, or JJ gyms in Columbus? Im still in high school so about 90 a month is my limit. I am a beginner but I want to learn and I learn quickly. Also anybody ever been to or heard anything about IMB columbus? www.imbcolumbus.com its 75 a month for unlimited classes of BJJ and MT. I think i might go there. Whats the best to start with?
bayonetxwork
5/7/07 3:24:39PM
I was in the same boat a few years ago. I'm a Junior now in high school now, but have been training for a few years. IMO, the best way to start is with boxing, or wrestling. Both teach you the skills you need to apply in order to create a good stand up or ground game. A lot of people try to jump into muay thai before any boxing or kickboxing experience, and its just too much for them. Muay Thai is a lot bigger of a commitment than that of boxing or kickboxing. Get a solid stand up or wrestling base, then progress into some of the other disciplines.

Now I'm saying that from experience. I jumped right into Muay Thai 2.5 years ago, and it was wayy to intense at the time that I thought about dropping it. Now I've gotten used to training like this, and am actually training for a tournament the end of this month. Start basic, then crosstrain. I regret not getting a solid base before training like a madman.
Brownsfan222
5/7/07 6:42:30PM
I am a distance runner for the high schools track team. I am in decent shape. I dont think that will be a factor. And my hands and feet arent bad i just want to make them better and have 1 or 2 fights before college. I might do judo too if I can find the time for it but I will only have nights so I doubt it. I learn boxing from my dad by the way who was a golden gloves boxer when he was my age.
bayonetxwork
5/8/07 2:53:41PM

Posted by Brownsfan222

I am a distance runner for the high schools track team. I am in decent shape. I dont think that will be a factor. And my hands and feet arent bad i just want to make them better and have 1 or 2 fights before college. I might do judo too if I can find the time for it but I will only have nights so I doubt it. I learn boxing from my dad by the way who was a golden gloves boxer when he was my age.

Thats pretty cool about your dad, so it seems you already have a decent base to build from. But what I was talking about is if you want to get into competitive muay thai, you'll do a lot more cardio, intense drilling(like kicking almost a solid heavy bag over, and over, and over again to numb the nerves in your legs), that some people may not be up to. But if your up to it, hey go for it. J/w, are you a senior?
Brownsfan222
5/8/07 11:06:56PM
Nope im a sophomore, I have two years left. I am only 15. I want to get started now though so I have a few years under my belt because I want to fight a few amateurs before college because I wont be able to train as much obviously.
Fanboy 1988
5/9/07 1:12:12AM
If you live in Columbus you could check out the Hammer House if there still located there.
SteedTheDeed
5/15/07 12:01:43PM
hammer house, but thats for wrestlers and i am sure it is expensive. I started training as a sophmore, don't rush into fighting amateur. Train for a couple years, a lot of amateurs are not good so with a couple years of dedicated training, you will steamroll through amateur leagues.
fullerene
6/21/07 3:44:45PM
I wouldn't recommend HammerHouse because it does not have a reputation for teaching technique.

For grappling the school with the best reputation in the area is a Relson Gracie affiliate school that's in the Northern suburbs.

(the link you provided didn't come up with anything, do you know who the instructors are?)

Ultimately, though, you ought to go and try a class or two at each place and see where you feel most comfortable. There are a lot of places to learn the basic techniques and get some conditioning so at this point getting an instructor and sparring partners at a place that isn't inconvenient to drive to is what you should be looking for.
countkoma
6/21/07 7:14:30PM
Hey Brownsfan
I train at IMB columbus and feel it is definately the place to be in columbus (no offense to the gracie camp what so ever). The jiu jitsu is from Jorge Gurgel, he comes to the columbus location about every 4 to 8 weeks for a seminar. The Muay Thai is from the sityodtong camp. The Relson school is top notch, but their focus is predominatly BJJ. check us out at www.imb-columbus.com
fullerene
6/18/08 9:43:52PM
Bump to see if anyone knows a place near Westerville.
The-Don
6/19/08 6:55:23PM

Posted by Brownsfan222

Any good MMA, MT, or JJ gyms in Columbus? Im still in high school so about 90 a month is my limit. I am a beginner but I want to learn and I learn quickly. Also anybody ever been to or heard anything about IMB columbus? www.imbcolumbus.com its 75 a month for unlimited classes of BJJ and MT. I think i might go there. Whats the best to start with?

I recomend getting on your swchools wrestling team.. that would help you out tremendously.. and if you get to study Judo.. also highly recomend it.. with Judo and wrestling.. you'll be able to do some sick takes downs and have good take down defense... add some Jujitsu and striking.. either boxing or Muay Thai and you will be very well rounded...