Good groin protection

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Good groin protection
RyanC
8/29/09 4:28:24PM
I'm training BJJ, as well as a mixture of standup my gym calls Shinbudo, and I'm looking for some good groin protection. I don't need it much in the standup game, but the inadvertent knee becomes a bit of an issue during BJJ. I'd prefer something in compression short, but I'm open.

Anyone have some good suggestions of something you use?
Jackelope
8/29/09 4:50:12PM
I use shock doctor and bike. Guess it depends on your particular groin (no details, please) but find one that's comfortable for you. I use an XXX Small
RyanC
8/29/09 4:54:51PM
I've read mixed reviews on that Shock Doctor compression short. You ever have problems with it staying in place during grappling? I read a couple people say that it shifted around a lot on them. Maybe the trick is to buy a smaller size than you think you need so it's really snug.
Nightmare27
8/29/09 5:12:20PM
I use a shock doctor as well, I have both the compression shorts and the jock strap and I do prefer to use the strap. Once you have been going for a while and get sweaty the compression shorts get strectched a bit and it does tend to shift around. The cups themselves are good though, very strong and durable.
RyanC
8/29/09 5:15:04PM
Maybe I'm gonna be forced to go with a strap. I found that Under Armour has a compression short that looks very nice. I'm thinking of maybe going with that, and I guess I'll purchase a strap if necessary. I'd really prefer to wear a short, but I'll do what I need to to protect my boys. I'm tired of having to cringe when someone goes for a cross pass.
Jackelope
8/29/09 8:20:42PM
I wear compression shorts and regular brief style supporters (from Bike) I've found that the bike brief style supporter works the best. Their cup isn't quite as wide as some of the others, so it doesn't bruise the **** out of your pelvis.

BTW- the XXX Small was a joke for those who didn't catch it, lol.
sumaraba
9/14/09 7:30:59AM
I saw this post online which looks pretty cool:

MMA Claw: Jaco Compression Short

I'm thinking of giving these a try, but I currently use the Shock Doctor compression shorts with the flex cup. For BJJ they have been fine, although I still took one from the bottom in Judo class. I've also heard good things about the nutty buddy cup system. One of the drawbacks apparently is that the edge of the cup isn't quite as flexible/comfortable than other cups. Maybe they've created a newer model geared towards grapplers since then. I should go find out lol.
RyanC
9/14/09 11:16:17AM

Posted by sumaraba

I saw this post online which looks pretty cool:

MMA Claw: Jaco Compression Short

I'm thinking of giving these a try, but I currently use the Shock Doctor compression shorts with the flex cup. For BJJ they have been fine, although I still took one from the bottom in Judo class. I've also heard good things about the nutty buddy cup system. One of the drawbacks apparently is that the edge of the cup isn't quite as flexible/comfortable than other cups. Maybe they've created a newer model geared towards grapplers since then. I should go find out lol.

I've just started seeing that Jaco cup at some online stores, but it's like $75. Pretty steep price for a cup, but it's supposed to be designed for MMA. I might just splurge and give it a shot. Under Armour makes a compression short/cup combo that might be pretty nice also.
Vendetta
9/14/09 12:18:31PM
Another proponent of Shock Doctor here. A full-on thai kick to the bread basket will hurt anyway but they're perfect for grappling.