In need of a good cardio plan

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » In need of a good cardio plan
kokid303
4/17/08 5:10:13PM
OK heres the deali have been Boxing for about 4 years and have been pretty good so far. Well i am thinkin of giving this whole MMA thing a shot. Well the thing is i am conditioned for Boxing but not all the other aspects of Mixed Martial Arts. So if any of you guys (that really know what your talking about) could help me kinda map out a plan i would appreciate it alot.
bayonetxwork
4/17/08 6:25:51PM

Posted by kokid303

OK heres the deali have been Boxing for about 4 years and have been pretty good so far. Well i am thinkin of giving this whole MMA thing a shot. Well the thing is i am conditioned for Boxing but not all the other aspects of Mixed Martial Arts. So if any of you guys (that really know what your talking about) could help me kinda map out a plan i would appreciate it alot.

I was sort of in the same place about a year ago, but I just had about a year and a half of thai boxing before I switched to MMA. the best way for me was to just do as much classes and sparring pertaining to MMA. the cardio will come by itself, and from there, you can raise it levels by doing your regular cardio exercises like long distance running, sprints, stairs, ellipticals, burpees, plyometrics, etc.

I strongly recommend doing burpees since you can do them wherever because its all bodyweight. And plyometrics which you can probably do at your gym with medicine balls, plyo boxes, etc.
seanfu
4/19/08 5:20:46PM
I'm no striker but I'm pretty sure that your problem is you're used to not having to wrestler and explode quite as much. I agree with the other comment.
Another thing is that being in a position that you are uncomfortable in or for instance nervousness about defending takedowns and kicks can exhaust as well.

Also, if you're a boxer you know that people who start boxing doing the combos and drills you're doing will wind them faster because their movements aren't refined.

Once your movements are refined, you get the wrestling/ BJJ strength foundation, and you are comfortable in more positions you should be good.

The above comment referenced just having experience, I agree. Also training explosion drills and plyometrics of coarse.

Training for four to five minutes will be a change also.

Lastly, MMA just plain will wear you out faster between the wrestling, kicking, and defending. There is no pacing yourself like in boxing so if that is what you're concerned about then it's just an adjustment that needs to be made.
Omega
4/20/08 8:54:05PM

Posted by seanfu

I'm no striker but I'm pretty sure that your problem is you're used to not having to wrestler and explode quite as much. I agree with the other comment.
Another thing is that being in a position that you are uncomfortable in or for instance nervousness about defending takedowns and kicks can exhaust as well.

Also, if you're a boxer you know that people who start boxing doing the combos and drills you're doing will wind them faster because their movements aren't refined.

Once your movements are refined, you get the wrestling/ BJJ strength foundation, and you are comfortable in more positions you should be good.

The above comment referenced just having experience, I agree. Also training explosion drills and plyometrics of coarse.

Training for four to five minutes will be a change also.

Lastly, MMA just plain will wear you out faster between the wrestling, kicking, and defending. There is no pacing yourself like in boxing so if that is what you're concerned about then it's just an adjustment that needs to be made.

I would agree with most of this. First thing I would advise is hook up with a wrestling work out. Give that a month. After that you'll have to switch up to a "fight gone bad" cardio work out. Basically a changing workout that simulates fight as much as you can. There are several workouts online. I have my guys going from bag carries to cage walking each with 30 to 1 minute incriminate breakdowns for a 5 minute round with only 1 minute break. They must be pushing themselves throughout the work out. If they don't have the cardio to do it then we make them do bag drag and carries for 6 minutes and 1 minute breaks.
Guru
5/28/08 1:12:22PM
well i think before we can truly answe the question we need to know your build & body type, IE: Height and weight. and also what weight class you plan to try... also diet can play a huge roll here.

lets say your 195lbs and would like to try middleweight (185) you could cut pure fat and become a "Big" Middleweight...

not everyone in a certain weight class has the same build as the next guy yanno?
kokid303
5/29/08 4:13:17PM
ok to answer that question im 6,1 and right now wiegh 204 lbs i dont want to fight light heavy wieght i actually would prefer middlewieght at 185 i am already stronger then most of the 205's at my gym so strength is not an issue i just wanna be in top notch shape and plus to cut the weight.
Guru
5/29/08 4:39:25PM
i got from 200 lbs to 185 in about 2 months by tone lifting and doing a ton of cardio. i personally think nutrition is key.

running is a big part of my conditioning. try to run at a light pace and control your breathing as much as you can.

the greatest thing for conditioning ive ever done is (Google This) PLYOMETRICS

So i would watch my diet and run... alot haha

tone training is Low Weight High Rep. it'll just tone up your muscles insted of building mass... Mass = Detrimental Weight to your goal.

i myself am actually looking to go from 200 to 155 which is my home in MMA. at 6'3" its quite fun so any helpful advice u recive id love to get also
TxGroundfighter
5/30/08 12:22:12AM
Training for Warriors by Martin Rooney is an awesome book. Has everything!
Guru
5/30/08 3:37:03PM
im gunna have to look into that