Is it good to have a "button"?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Is it good to have a "button"?
fedorwins1
10/12/07 1:51:54PM
Chris Leben said it best, "When someone hits me, it's like a button and when they hit it my hand just shoots out." I seem to do the same thing, is it a good thing or not? Should I work on getting out of the way and circling if I get hit or keep doing what I'm doing (seems to be working ok)?

Advice is appreciated.
R-Bandd
10/12/07 2:04:04PM
IMHO There is always someone bigger, stronger, and faster that you out there. If you need to have your bell rung to get you to the next level, eventually you will just get you bell rung. Having a button as a back up is a great safety net but if you use it as an every day tool you will depend on it to a fault.Just my opinion

FYI-I am not a prize fighter, this is just my opinion from my real world experiences
ocho-cinco
10/12/07 2:36:45PM

Posted by R-Bandd

IMHO There is always someone bigger, stronger, and faster that you out there. If you need to have your bell rung to get you to the next level, eventually you will just get you bell rung. Having a button as a back up is a great safety net but if you use it as an every day tool you will depend on it to a fault.Just my opinion

FYI-I am not a prize fighter, this is just my opinion from my real world experiences

That sounds about right. It's a great thing to have, but shouldn't be relyed on. You should go out and fight your fight, and if you happen to get rocked, then mabey it will work again. But obviously it doesn't work all the time, just look at the Anderson Silva Vs Cris Leban fight. How many times does he need to be woken up there.
Rush
10/12/07 3:27:30PM
I have a button. It's called getting hit in the face and it doesn't have to be hard either.

Normally I am a calm, nice guy. I fight very patiently and relaxed, but if I get tagged in the face (even by accident) I hit the edge of losing self-control.

My only fear about it is that I might really hurt someone one day. I know this doesn't help you answer your question, but that is just my anecdote for the day.
loller90278
10/12/07 6:03:15PM
the best offense is a good defense

my advice - try as hard as u can not to get hit. if someone hits your button you lose all concious thinking and resort to flailing your arms like a fool hoping for a KO. always have composure
juanez13
10/12/07 6:36:45PM
no i dont think its good to have a button, becuase it means you are holding something back, and not giving everything you have, and when you are against the top dogs, you cant hold anything back, becuase before you know you know it, you will be knocked out, or subbed, if it takes a punch or some pusnishment to push that button, what if the punch that pushes that button knocks you out, and you think i could have given it more....
mrsmiley
10/12/07 6:54:16PM
If a fighter soley relies on something like that,well then I think they will eventualy get in big trouble.
fullerene
10/12/07 6:54:40PM
There are some great boxers like Winky Wright, Juan Manuel Marquez and Bernard Hopkins....they've made millions, held championships and fought some of the hardest punchers in their weight divisions. Do they have a button? Tough to say, because their defense is so good they never get hit cleanly.

If you fight holding your hands like you're carrying an invisible keg--a la Chris Leben--then you better have a button. But I'd rather work on good hand position, keeping your chin down, lateral movement and just hope I have a button if that ever fails me.
fedorwins1
10/12/07 7:27:48PM
I mean it's not even really my chin, it's my entire face lol, as soon as I get hit it's an automatic reaction is to send a straight right to their face in return lol. I haven't been rocked (yet), but it's just when I get punched I just throw one back right away.
Mastodon2
10/13/07 8:36:21AM
Don't let yourself get hit, always be moving, head and shoulder movement, aswell as footwork, a lot of mma fighters lack decent footwork, so don't be one of them. Always be circling, sidestepping, moving in and out, and don't let it get predictable.

I would not have a button. As soon as you start losing your focus, ie getting angry when you get hit, you are on the way to losing. Winning a striking battle is about maintaining composure under the greatest pressure.

Composure is what makes the difference between a brawler and a striker.
Rush
10/13/07 1:49:10PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I would not have a button. As soon as you start losing your focus, ie getting angry when you get hit, you are on the way to losing. Winning a striking battle is about maintaining composure under the greatest pressure.

This is the interesting thing for me. I get more focused when my button is pushed and it allows me to let loose. Maybe I really am holding back because it's not like do anything foolish. I'm just more aggressive after getting my button pushed..

Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to the point where I really want to fight, I don't know. I don't compete, so any fight for me has been for fun/learning.

Good topic. I like it.
cmill21
10/13/07 2:16:18PM
If you want to see how top fighters fight watch some Remy Bonjasky fights, maybe some Cro Cop's(K-1) most of those guys, thats how you react when hit. Stay calm and keep moving. Hands up and keep firing them. If you have a button your getting hit to much lol, and look at Leben's AS fight, a button won't work with a well rounded striker.
Omega
10/14/07 12:36:09PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Mastodon2

This is the interesting thing for me. I get more focused when my button is pushed and it allows me to let loose. Maybe I really am holding back because it's not like do anything foolish. I'm just more aggressive after getting my button pushed..

Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to the point where I really want to fight, I don't know. I don't compete, so any fight for me has been for fun/learning.

Good topic. I like it.

This is me too. If I get it I put on my poker face. I've had full on conversations with refs (well that's a bit exagerated), after my button was pushed. I even talked to my opponent. I like hitting them with psychology.

*BTW this sometimes comes up where people don't believe me...here's 3 of my fights in a highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBoxX48_tAo
Svartorm
10/15/07 2:39:34AM
Damn, and I thought I had a good chin.
fullerene
10/15/07 8:19:51AM

Posted by Omega

This is me too. If I get it I put on my poker face. I've had full on conversations with refs (well that's a bit exagerated), after my button was pushed. I even talked to my opponent. I like hitting them with psychology.

*BTW this sometimes comes up where people don't believe me...here's 3 of my fights in a highlight reel:

Cool vid. You can almost date the matches by the length of the shorts :)
fedorwins1
10/15/07 3:42:25PM

Posted by Omega

Posted by Rush

Posted by Mastodon2

Good topic. I like it.

Dude you seriously don't know how much I was laughing when "That didn't hurt" kept popping up
hunterlcs92
10/31/07 9:50:52AM
I think that's just what leben does. It just developed. you can't MAKE yourslef do that. Just see an opening, shoot in, barrage him with blows, etc.