Good Books

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Good Books
Next Page »
iwannabesedated
11/14/07 7:41:31PM
So i get alot of downtime at work and normally read Maxim,Blender and some MMA mags.But seeing how i work with mainly women who read Cosmo,Romance novels and Cat Fancy...

What are some good books i could pick up to read and no Harry Potter stuff cause im not into that.Just any good read would help i actually signed up for my Borders Reward card so might as well use it.Im not that big of a reader but anything will help kill time at work..thanks
Mastodon2
11/14/07 7:44:46PM
I like the stuff from the Games Workshop's Black Library. The Ultramarines Omnibus in particular is just a really well written war saga. Tales of the old world is ace too. Both are 800+ pages with smal print, and they were only like £9 each, so they have a great bang to buck ratio!
Rush
11/14/07 7:59:52PM
Do you want fiction or non-fiction?
iwannabesedated
11/14/07 8:13:36PM
It doesnt matter as long as it is interesting.
Rush
11/14/07 8:35:13PM
Try this one
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
zephead
11/14/07 9:22:12PM
The Stand - Stephen King

Phantoms - Dean Koontz

agale322
11/14/07 9:41:34PM
"Invisible Man" - Ralph Ellison. This is a really good read, it tells the story of a young black man struggling with identity issues during the early 1900s. Everyone should read this.

"The Zombie Survival Guide" - Max Brooks. HILARIOUS! 'Nuff said.

"A Brief History of Time" - Stephen Hawking. A must read for everyone, Hawking does an excellent job of dumbing down a lot of prevalent theories in physics. Very interesting.

"The Physics of Superheroes" - James Kakalios. Self explanatory (it attempts to explain how superhero powers would work according to current physics) a fun read.

"Bushido: The Warrior's Code" - Details Japanese morals and ethics during the feudal period. Very fascinating and inspirational.
hotrodttt
11/14/07 9:56:40PM
- Tortilla Flats by John Steinbeck
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki
- Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
jdubs
11/14/07 11:40:42PM
i like some hemingway stuff, shit just too many to start to list... damn, i know a really good one but i cant think of it................ check out kon tiki, my dad has been trying to get me to read it for years, looks very interesting
Basshandsome
11/14/07 11:56:51PM
If you liked the movie fight club...

read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
StorminYourman
11/15/07 12:05:46AM

Posted by Basshandsome

If you liked the movie fight club...

read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

read that book or you could read Ender's Game or Battle Royale also awsome books!
loller90278
11/15/07 3:27:39AM
oh man theres too many good books. if you're gonna read to entertain yourself and pass some time, i definitely recommend THE CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES. that is one of the best books ever written, a lot say.

if you want to have get your brain tickling, i recommend INFINITE JEST. another classic book to be thought of the 20th centuries great book.

Naturaldisaster
11/15/07 7:56:27AM
The 5 people you meet in heaven, is a great book.
rabbit915
11/15/07 8:50:40AM
A Cancticle for Leibowitz

Best book ever written.
pv3Hpv3p
11/15/07 11:37:49AM
If you want something entertaining and easy to read...

Go with Tim Dorsey's Florida Roadkill

It's a lot of dark comedy with a good helping of gratuitous violence and whitty dialogue...

It's kinda like Pulp Fiction meets Natural Born Killers crossed with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (which is also worth reading)
AManCalledE
11/16/07 2:29:29PM
The Peaceful Warrior books - by Dan Millman - were pretty good.
DCRage
11/16/07 2:35:02PM
I mostly listen to audiobooks that I can get online for free (usually through iTunes or podiobooks.com), I'd recommend these books:
Ancestor
Earthcore
Infection
The Rookie
Nocturnal
The Secret World Chronicle
All but Secret World Chronicle are excellent sci-fi/horror books by Scott Sigler. Earthcore and Ancestor are now in print, The Rookie could be in print anytime, Nocturnal just started a couple weeks ago.
tuvok500
11/16/07 2:55:15PM
well, if you like history , you can read ADOLF HITLER by john toland and GOERING by david irving .

as for science book, well, every book from Stephen Hawking are good and also those from Steven Weinberg.

thepunisher
11/16/07 3:10:57PM
The Bible

Just kidding

I did enjoy Divinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

I am reading Hells Angels By Hunter S Thompson right now
AchillesHeel
11/16/07 3:56:21PM
If you like horror-suspense, try "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson, and "The Mist" by Stephen King (which you also can find in the collection "Skeleton Crew").

Then you can see the movies, both of which will be out soon.

p.s. Both stories are novellas, less than 200 pages, and go pretty fast.
Boo_Radley21
11/16/07 4:14:40PM
I read the Mist a couple years ago at school and really liked it. I was excited to see they're making a movie about it.

Any of Stephen King's Gunslinger books are good, I also really liked:
Hey Nostradomus - Douglas Copeland
Nothing's Sacred - Lewis Black
Fight Club- Chuck Palahniuk
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz - Mordechai Richler
pv3Hpv3p
11/16/07 5:45:41PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I read the Mist a couple years ago at school and really liked it. I was excited to see they're making a movie about it.

Any of Stephen King's Gunslinger books are good, I also really liked:
Hey Nostradomus - Douglas Copeland
Nothing's Sacred - Lewis Black
Fight Club- Chuck Palahniuk
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz - Mordechai Richler

No To Kill a Mockingbird reference, BooRadley?
Boo_Radley21
11/17/07 3:51:09PM
Wow. I can't believe I forgot about that haha. Yea we had to read it for school and I was one of the only people in my class who actually liked it.
jdubs
11/17/07 8:49:52PM
howard stern's private parts
fullerene
11/17/07 10:18:48PM
Heavy fiction: Dosteovsky -- Crime and Punishment, The Idiot or The Brothers Karamazov

Light fiction: Mark Hudson -- Curious incident of the Dog at Nighttime

Heavy non-fiction: Bob Woodward -- Road to War

Light non-fiction: Grogan -- Marley and Me
mrsmiley
11/18/07 9:34:01AM
House Of Leaves for my money is the best book ever.Their's a CD that follows the book as well by Poe.You'll read this book at least 3 Xs over before you can put it down.

Anything by Michaele Criton is awesome.

Prey,State of Fear,The Lost World,and Jurrassic Part are some of his best in my opinion.

Brawl is a good book as well.All about behind the scenes stuff in MMA.

The Jesus Mysteries,Jesus and the lost Goddess and The Laughing Jesus were brilliant.
OLDSCHOOL
11/18/07 9:37:35AM
I'm not into anything fancy but both HOT SRINGS, PALE HORSE COMING & DIRTY WHITE BOYS by STEPHEN HUNTER were good reads that I couldn't put down. That movie SHOOTER was based on the book POINT OF IMPACT by STEPHEN HUNTER...so if you liked that movie than you might want to give these other books a chance.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/18/07 9:48:11AM

Posted by tuvok500

well, if you like history , you can read ADOLF HITLER by john toland and GOERING by david irving .

as for science book, well, every book from Stephen Hawking are good and also those from Steven Weinberg.

I do not recommend Hitler by Toland for it's pretty much propaganda and not alot is uncovered in there. If you want a real read for that era read MEIN KAMPF by Adolf Hitler HIMSELF.
Manfred
11/18/07 12:39:05PM
Anything from Dan Brown (Da Vinci (which is really good)is worst book IMO)

Also the "Jack Reacher: series by Lee Child
fedorwins1
11/18/07 1:58:49PM
Check out Ponyboy and the Outsiders.

They're both about greaser gangs, both very good books IMO.
Pages: [1] 2