How good is the UFC's LW division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How good is the UFC's LW division?
POLL: How good is the UFC's LW division
Undoubtably the best, 8-9 of the top 10's 31% (10)
Still the best, but not by that wide of a margin 31% (10)
About 50/50 with the rest of the competition 3% (1)
Second, Dream's roster is more impressive 28% (9)
It's ok, could really use some fine tuning 0% (0)
Abyssmal, 1-2 top tens at the most 6% (2)
Pookie
2/26/08 8:52:30PM
?
SmileR
2/26/08 8:53:59PM
Sorry i thought it said Light HEAVY Weight!
I'd say dream but the ufc's is pretty good.
cowcatcher
2/26/08 8:56:09PM
dream's looks better to me but the ufc LW division is going through a youth movement that makes it tough to compare with dream's established fighters. both are great, and its kind of nice that there are enough great fighters at 1 weight class to go around and thoroughly fill 2 organizations rosters.
postman
2/26/08 8:56:38PM
Yeah DREAM's LW division is Stacked.
tuvok500
2/26/08 9:21:33PM
UFC all the ways !!

Peoples should have learned by now that the UFC level is a step up for any other fighters in other organizations, the LW division is no exception !!

sillysnail
2/26/08 9:22:43PM
im not terribly impressed. at least not compared to the ufc's lw division. i really don't even see a comparison tbh. the downfall of pride scattered a lot of the mma talent and i think its pretty obvious that the ufc has the largest concentration of good fighters in every division, lw especially.
RMFG_187
2/26/08 9:30:32PM
The UFC LW division is scary good. Of course no Aoki, Gomi and JZ. but UFC has the TOP fighters in the division. BJ, Sherk, KenFlo, Nate, J-Lau, Huerta & Stevenson (No Order in rank just named a few). If UFC sent BJ or Sherk to be in the LW tourney. UFC would have the DREAM LW belt, no question. Melendez and JZ are great fighters, but not at Championship Caliber. Aoki and Gomi are, but Gomi got totally picked apart by Diaz BTW, Weed should not count as a illegal substance for any AC. and Aoki is one of the rising stars, and hasn't been tested by Champions. Personally, i have Ken Flo ranked higher than anyone in the LW Tourney, but it still will be a great Event too watch.
RMFG_187
2/26/08 9:31:31PM

Posted by sillysnail

i really don't even see a comparison tbh. the downfall of pride scattered a lot of the mma talent and i think its pretty obvious that the ufc has the largest concentration of good fighters in every division, lw especially.

couldnt have said it better myself
postman
2/26/08 9:35:44PM
I agree Bj would win it I don't know about Sherk at least we know he could use the roids for the tourney.
TimW001
2/26/08 9:38:43PM

Posted by RMFG_187

If UFC sent BJ or Sherk to be in the LW tourney. UFC would have the DREAM LW belt, no question.

That pretty much sums up my opinion on this.
cmill21
2/26/08 10:08:46PM
BJ, and maybe sherk. I think everyone else would get eaten alive in Dreams LW tourney. I think BJ is the best 155 in the world(with JZ being #1B) but I don't think Kenflo, Huerta, ect are top 10's.
seanfu
2/26/08 10:25:31PM
Keep in mind if Gomi or Kid or Aoki fought in a cage they would all be smashed by the lower ranks of the top 10 of the UFC.

The same could likely be possible the other way around.
Pookie
2/27/08 12:05:02AM

Posted by seanfu

Keep in mind if Gomi or Kid or Aoki fought in a cage they would all be smashed by the lower ranks of the top 10 of the UFC.

The same could likely be possible the other way around.

I dont feel this to be true.
Pookie
2/27/08 12:15:25AM
The UFC's Top 11 fighters in the LW division (give or take)

BjPenn
Sean Sherk
Frank Edgar
Kenny Florian
Tyson Griffin
Joe Stevenson
Clay Guida
Thiago Tavares
Roger Huerta
Din Thomas
Marcus Aurelio

Out side the UFC's Top 11 (give or take)
Gesias Calvancante
Shinya Aoki
Tatsuya Kawajiri
Norifumi Yamamoto
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Gilbert Milendez
Takanori Gomi
Nick Diaz
Joachim Hansen
Yves Edwards
Andre Dida

After the top 3 in the ufc theres a huge-drop off in skill, the rest are second rate compared to them.

But outside the UFC it takes until after the top 6-7 before the skill drops off.

Outside the UFC i think theres much more talent...
Jackelope
2/27/08 12:20:24AM

Posted by tuvok500

UFC all the ways !!

Peoples should have learned by now that the UFC level is a step up for any other fighters in other organizations, the LW division is no exception !!

I know you're a Pride hater/UFC lover but really how can you say that when currently the HW belt is held by a former Pride guy, and so is the LHW belt? I don't think Pride was better, but I do feel that the competition was pretty much equal between the two.
loller90278
2/27/08 1:31:44AM

Posted by sillysnail

im not terribly impressed. at least not compared to the ufc's lw division. i really don't even see a comparison tbh. the downfall of pride scattered a lot of the mma talent and i think its pretty obvious that the ufc has the largest concentration of good fighters in every division, lw especially.

that's silly, not one fighter from PRIDE (sans aurelio i believe) became a LW fighter for UFC. they all stayed in japan and are fighting under DREAM...
jiujitsufreak74
2/27/08 2:58:36PM
imo, anyone that picked Undoubtedly with 8 or 9 in the top 10 needs to spread their MMA tastes to other organizations because there is no way that is true. to seriously think that the UFC has all of the top 10 LW talent is just kidding yourself. the UFC LW division is good and exciting, but it is missing a lot of world wide talent. Pookie made a good list, but i will put some of the fighters on that list into perspective. JZ, Aoki, Melendez, Gomi, Sakurai, and Ishida are all top 10 LW that are not in the UFC imo. it is purely ignorance not to recognize the talent of these fighters and to put people like Roger Huerta (i am a huge Huerta fan btw) and Tyson Griffin in front of them is just wrong. I leave the Kid in the FW category, but if you want to lump him into LW then i would say he is another top 10 talent not in the UFC. Kawajiri has to be like number 11if he isn't top 10 and Diaz and Hansen can make a serious case as well. don't get me wrong, the UFC LW division is good, but there is too much talent outside that by saying the UFC has the best LW division is just an example of belief perseverance.

BTW, 7 out of my top 10 are outside the UFC right now and 5 of them are fighting in the Dream LW Grand Prix.

PS: i leave Sherk out of my rankings because of his suspension. until he fights BJ he will stay off. i have a strict policy against steroids and since he got sentenced by the athletic commission i don't care if it was supplements or whatever, he got suspended and that means he is off my rankings.
TsekaPrivet
4/14/09 4:39:45AM
Behind Dream, but still a pretty good roster.

Penn, Sherk, Florian and Maynard are all top 10, but that's about all.