Gonzaga's weaknesses & Poll (Read This)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Gonzaga's weaknesses & Poll (Read This)
POLL: Who Will Win Gonzaga or Couture?
Gonzaga By TKO or KO 33% (15)
Gonzaga By Decision 0% (0)
Gonzaga By Submission 4% (2)
Couture By TKO or KO 33% (15)
Couture By Decision 30% (14)
Couture By Submission 0% (0)
marketmaven
8/25/07 10:06:29AM
I just reviewed the 3 round fight that was Gonzaga's lone loss, it was against Fabricio Werdum, a top BJJ guy who had a weak showing against Arlovski in UFC 70.

It was fairly a close match perhaps even going Gonzagas way in the first two rounds, and then Werdum connected with some serious knees and pounded him with relentless strikes. As a side topic, I hope the UFC gives Werdum another chance.

After reviewing this fight I am convince Gonzaga will win tonights fight if it lasts 2 rounds, otherwise, 3 rounds or more, Randy's experience, and his wrestling ability and his not so bad ground and pound will mean the difference.

The Verdict:
Gonzaga takes it by submission or TKO if it is a short fight (rounds 1 or 2),
Coutoure takes it by decision or by ground and pound if it lasts longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-i6Sc9KC1M
SpiderSilva
8/25/07 10:14:12AM
Gonzaga will lose his title shot tonight that was given to him by CC
nate22
8/25/07 10:32:13AM
Good points, nice thread, one thing to bare in mind with the Werdum fight is that Gonzaga had little experience and this was one of his first fights.

I find it funny to agree with you that the 24 year old may actually have more trouble against the 40+ year old IF the fight goes on more than 3 rounds. But that's Randy for you.

Personally, I have Gonzaga picked and I do think he will stop Randy if he pushes the pace, varies his gameplan in accordance to Randy.
kofranklin
8/25/07 12:03:50PM
Gonzaga will win this fight easily.
ocho-cinco
8/25/07 12:09:01PM
If the fight goes the distance I don't really see a huge advantage either way. Both fighters are coming into this fight in amazing shape. In the previews both fighters are saying the other guy can't last 5 rounds with me. That makes for an unbelievable war of attrition. This fight has the potential for huge momentum swings with the energy reserves these two guys have. I think if Randy wins it will have to be a decision. I believe Gonzaga could win with a decision, TKO, or even a sub, although I have trouble imagining Randy getting cought in a submission. This fight has been so hard for me to call, but I said Gonzaga from the time this fight was made official, so I'm sticking to that, no matter how much my mind goes back and fourth. Can't wait to see it finally happen!
spider1179
8/25/07 1:27:54PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

If the fight goes the distance I don't really see a huge advantage either way. Both fighters are coming into this fight in amazing shape. In the previews both fighters are saying the other guy can't last 5 rounds with me.

Did you really expect one of them so say they weren't in great shape? All fighters say their opponent cannot last the full fight with them.
postman
8/25/07 4:55:46PM

Posted by kofranklin

You are picking the Champ to lose and for that matter lose easy you have to at least explain why. I'm not saying who will win or lose i'm simply asking why you are pick as you did.

I also find the poll results funny, isn't GG a BJJ bad ass? Why so many pick for him by KO? I would figure there to be more by sub.
Jackelope
8/25/07 5:31:17PM

Posted by postman

Posted by kofranklin

You are picking the Champ to lose and for that matter lose easy you have to at least explain why. I'm not saying who will win or lose i'm simply asking why you are pick as you did.

I also find the poll results funny, isn't GG a BJJ bad ass? Why so many pick for him by KO? I would figure there to be more by sub.

People jumping on the GG crocop knockout bandwagon- simple enough.

Ocho-cinco, that was one of the first intelligent pro Gonzaga posts I've seen so far. Props for using your brain instead of being convinced by the fluke knockout.

Still- couture by UD
Canadian_MM_EH
8/25/07 7:40:55PM
Gonzaga by KO/TKO..
postman
8/25/07 8:05:59PM

Posted by Canadian_MM_EH

Gonzaga by KO/TKO..

Why?
pinoymixplaya
8/25/07 8:56:07PM
but you do know that the fight between him and Werdum was 4 years ago? A lot can happen within 4 years of training.....
Jackelope
8/25/07 9:06:40PM
This poll is so funny. Just look at the results and the only votes that make any sense really are the couture by decision votes.

Look how many people voted Couture by KO/TKO- HAH! As though that's something Randy does often

Gonzaga by KO/TKO far outweighs Gonzaga by Submission..... I just keep checking back on this poll and scratching my head
postman
8/26/07 3:11:54AM
No Ko tonight!
marketmaven
8/26/07 11:28:30AM

Posted by marketmaven

After reviewing this fight I am convince Gonzaga will win tonights fight if it lasts 2 rounds, otherwise, 3 rounds or more, Randy's experience, and his wrestling ability and his not so bad ground and pound will mean the difference.

The Verdict:
Gonzaga takes it by submission or TKO if it is a short fight (rounds 1 or 2),
Coutoure takes it by decision or by ground and pound if it lasts longer.

Called it :), man what a great gameplan, hold him up against the fence, Gonzaga cant throw bombs and hit him up with inside boxing and elbows. I loved it....experience and strategy trumps strength and high end bjj.

I am a definitely a fan of Couture now. I still think he would lose to Vera or Fedor and possibly Cro Cop still other than that I dont see anyone beating him.
Jackelope
8/26/07 5:22:05PM
Not necessarily called it. Considering Randy dominated round 1 and 2 as well.

Although I didn't call it, either. I placed little faith in a Couture KO/TKO but I put high faith in a Couture UD.