If it was gonzaga/verra instead of werdum

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If it was gonzaga/verra instead of werdum
MFOTHER
6/5/08 9:49:09AM
who would take it.......out of curiosity
cowcatcher
6/5/08 9:53:35AM
whoever isnt named gonzaga, this is true in most cases against top flight opponents.
MFOTHER
6/5/08 9:55:07AM

Posted by cowcatcher

whoever isnt named gonzaga, this is true in most cases against top flight opponents.

?
throwmeahotone
6/5/08 10:20:39AM
Starnes.
juanez13
6/5/08 10:22:20AM
i think if gonzaga had good cardio he'd beat Vera, and Werdum.
MFOTHER
6/5/08 10:24:53AM
you do know werdum beat him twice right? once recently once early on.....
werdum own 2 of gonzaga's 3 losses...the only other being randy
Pookie
6/5/08 11:39:37AM
id take vera, because of his ability to hit you and his general footwork i think would give the bigger, sloppier, and slower gonzaga problems.
MFOTHER
6/5/08 12:06:40PM
well pookie , yours is one of the opinons on this forum i respect.
does this mean you picked vera this weekend
cowcatcher
6/5/08 12:26:30PM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by cowcatcher

?

ok ill slow it down for you....gonzaga wont beat another top level opponent, and is little more than a gatekeeper but since he beat CC everyone thought he was the second coming. this is just like what happened with houston alexander, you get these bandwagon jumping people that im inclined to believe arent too bright to begin with, and they jump all over a guy with 1 quality win in a sport where EVERYBODY loses(well maybe not fedor, or at least not cleanly). so to answer your original question vera would win as GG became overhyped due to one, count em, one quality win.
MFOTHER
6/5/08 12:31:15PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by cowcatcher

?

ok ill slow it down for you....gonzaga wont beat another top level opponent, and is little more than a gatekeeper but since he beat CC everyone thought he was the second coming. this is just like what happened with houston alexander, you get these bandwagon jumping people that im inclined to believe arent too bright to begin with, and they jump all over a guy with 1 quality win in a sport where EVERYBODY loses(well maybe not fedor, or at least not cleanly). so to answer your original question vera would win as GG became overhyped due to one, count em, one quality win.

1st off...why do u have to be a dick.....
2nd i only asked the question because werdum beat him twice... and like i thought some people picked gonzaga.....im not hyping him up .......
cowcatcher
6/5/08 12:38:11PM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by cowcatcher

?

1st off...why do u have to be a dick.....
2nd i only asked the question because werdum beat him twice... and like i thought some people picked gonzaga.....im not hyping him up .......

i wasnt being a dick, i thought my first statement would be easy enough to figure out but since you answered with a question mark i broke it down further. secondly, i didnt say you were hyping GG up, i was saying that a lot of people did and it was little more than just that, hype. dont get your undies in a bind, i wasnt attacking you or anything, i just expanded because i thought thats what you wanted after i read the "?" that you responded with.
MFOTHER
6/5/08 12:42:56PM
not in a bunch ...i just hate when people talk down to people . im not new to mma, i dont need obvious points explained. the topic wasnt about if GG will beat any more top tens ever...just asking a hypothetical. and your answer anyone whos name isnt gonzga was kinda dumb......so i put a questionmark. if you had just said GG is overhyped and vera would win....there wouldnt have been a ?. whatever its all good. im sure u like football better anyway jk
cowcatcher
6/5/08 12:54:19PM

Posted by MFOTHER

not in a bunch ...i just hate when people talk down to people . im not new to mma, i dont need obvious points explained. the topic wasnt about if GG will beat any more top tens ever...just asking a hypothetical. and your answer anyone whos name isnt gonzga was kinda dumb......so i put a questionmark. if you had just said GG is overhyped and vera would win....there wouldnt have been a ?. whatever its all good. im sure u like football better anyway jk

just the packers, thats favre and couture in my av at lambeau from last season, so even thought i loves me some football, i still have to have something related to mma in my av.
Pookie
6/5/08 12:58:22PM

Posted by MFOTHER

well pookie , yours is one of the opinons on this forum i respect.
does this mean you picked vera this weekend

No, i did not. I dont think he cant keep it on the feet long enough to decision werdum.
MFOTHER
6/5/08 1:26:56PM
so you did pick vera? now i am confused.
Aaronno9
6/5/08 1:34:47PM
I think that the size differance would just be to much for vera. I mean, gonzaga is a monster whereas vera looks like hed be better at LHW. I think gabe would beable to takedown vera and keep him there, and even though veras got better stand up gabes so powerful it would only take one big hit to finish it.

That said, if vera clips gabe a few times he'll most likely get disheartened and top fighting, so its definatly a close call.
billycarnage
6/5/08 1:35:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

vera would win as GG became overhyped due to one, count em, one quality win.

They're made for eachother! Lets compare quality wins.... hmm I guess GG has even got Vera beat on that one. 1 to nothing. A win over Miko is greater than a win over a rusty ol' Frank Mir. I think Vera is over hyped as well.

jiujitsufreak74
6/5/08 2:37:27PM

Posted by MFOTHER

he picked Werdum.

I am taking Vera on this and i would take Vera against GG as well. most people already know GG lost to Werdum twice, and Pookie was just saying that if he didn't gas those 2 times he would have won (in his opinion).

for this fight coming up, i think Vera can keep it on his feet because Werdum has pretty much no viable way of taking opponents down and Vera is a great wrestler. most people don't know Vera was a wrestler way before his was a MMArtist. Vera had a full ride to Old Dominion from wrestling and wrestled for the Air Force as well. Vera will be able to do what AA did against Werdum, and that is keep it standing and dominate on the feet for a UD.
Pookie
6/5/08 2:55:19PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by MFOTHER

he picked Werdum.

I am taking Vera on this and i would take Vera against GG as well. most people already know GG lost to Werdum twice, and Pookie was just saying that if he didn't gas those 2 times he would have won (in his opinion).

for this fight coming up, i think Vera can keep it on his feet because Werdum has pretty much no viable way of taking opponents down and Vera is a great wrestler. most people don't know Vera was a wrestler way before his was a MMArtist. Vera had a full ride to Old Dominion from wrestling and wrestled for the Air Force as well. Vera will be able to do what AA did against Werdum, and that is keep it standing and dominate on the feet for a UD.

I think youre underestimating his recent training at chutebox, with werdum's clinch game i think he can keep it in close long enough to get on top of him.
EON
6/5/08 2:57:37PM
i dont know if gonzaga would stand with vera for long, i think he would do what he did to cro cop and take it down, work GnP, look for a sub, i dont know who i would pick, if i had to put numbers on it i'd say 55/45 vera
billycarnage
6/5/08 3:02:17PM
Vera will be better of standing but he said he would "love to take it to the ground". He won't hang with Werdum on the ground. His best bet is using that wrestling experience to defend the take down.

I think Werdum can stand with Vera. They match up well. Werdum was gunshy against AA. It was his debut in the UFC and I think it showed. Maybe I am hugging his nuts but I think he would do a lot better today against AA.

Werdum can't let Vera control where this fight goes he has to take it to the ground.
Gipper
6/5/08 3:10:22PM
i'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.