Gonzaga put in his place?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Gonzaga put in his place?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
warglory
8/27/07 12:36:33PM

Posted by Svartorm

For the record, I had GG via 2nd round sub. Heres what I think happened and why it happened.

In his fight with Crocop, GG had a great gameplan, came in with a vengence and implimented it. In his fight last night, he went in with a gameplan, got stuffed trying to impliment it and psychologically came apart. Randy has made his career off of having fantastic gameplans and he had one tonight. The first round was pretty shaky at times, but clearly Randy was fighting the way he wanted to and that, plus the very broken nose, seemed to take all the fight out of GG, which was obvious during the second round when he was being pummeled against the fence.

As for if GG can come back from this, its hard to say. Hes a brute and has the skillset to be a champ someday, but the mental aspects of a fight are much more important than the physical. Hes show weakness in this department before when fighting Kevin Jordan, so hopefully he can become a bit more confident in his abilities and come back with a sharp mind, as well as a sharp body.

I had Couture winning with a KO/TKO in the third believe it or not, but I did not expect the fight to go down the way it did. I was expecting Couture to honestly outstrike Gonzaga and overwhelm him (ala Sylvia). I was surprised by how well Gonzaga was able to stand with Couture. I got nervous a couple of times when it looked like Couture was rocked, but Couture maintained himself and jumped into the clinch. As far as what you said though, I completely agree with you. Gonzaga had a gameplan, but when he realized that Couture had one too, and a good one at that, and on top of that a broken nose, his heart and motivation completely evaporated.

Gonzaga beat CroCop down soundly, and I don't think it was a fluke, but I never bought nito the hype. However, after his match with Couture, I honestly think that my respect for Gonzaga went up mainly because of the skills he possesses. I think Gabe needs to find a way to learn how to adapt his gameplan in his matches, work on his cardio (moreso than anything else), and find that bloodthirst to win matches, or else he is going to continue to lose heart and turn into another Vitor Belfort which is unfortunate.
loller90278
8/27/07 1:09:29PM
why is everyone saying gonzaga needs to work on his cardio? he looked fine to me in the third round.

i think he just has one of those bodies, like mark hunt
szucconi
8/27/07 1:16:29PM

Posted by loller90278

why is everyone saying gonzaga needs to work on his cardio? he looked fine to me in the third round.

Watch his fight with Werdum. Plus, I don't think he looked fine in the third round, but that may have only been due to him not being able to breath out of his nose.

I think he was ready for three round, but not five.
loller90278
8/27/07 1:39:15PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by loller90278

Watch his fight with Werdum. Plus, I don't think he looked fine in the third round, but that may have only been due to him not being able to breath out of his nose.

I think he was ready for three round, but not five.

oh cmon! his fight with werdum was four years ago, you can't base your argument on that! with him not being able to breath out his nose, and have difficulty breathing out his mouth, i think his cardio was very good, his striking still looked crisp in the third round
chris91301
8/27/07 1:45:29PM
gonzaga just was outclassed. i cant believe there is still anyone who thinks GG is a top tier fighter for HW. His kicks were horrible and I can judge being a Kenpo fighter. His kick against cro cop was pure luck because Cro Cop just was totally uncaring that fight and frankly stepped right into the kick. Bad judgement call on cro cops part. And crocop is known for making mistakes like that in the past. GG's punches were wild, thats not a good thing unless you are fighting a random crackhead on a street. His BJJ..... I saw none in the fight.

I dont think he should have even fought at championship until he got a few more fights. he is not that strong of a fighter.

Personally looking forward to CC vs Kongo fight. that should be really fun.
szucconi
8/27/07 2:37:22PM

Posted by loller90278

oh cmon! his fight with werdum was four years ago, you can't base your argument on that! with him not being able to breath out his nose, and have difficulty breathing out his mouth, i think his cardio was very good, his striking still looked crisp in the third round

I agree with you that the Werdum was to long ago to real base that much on, but he doesn't have a history of taking fights into the third round. His cardio was weak v. Kevin Jordan, but he got the win over a lower tier fighter. The Werdum fight was a loss due to conditioning. He was winning and lost late because he gassed. That fight put the cardio question in everyone’s mind and he hasn't answered it yet. The Couture fight didn't answer and question about his cardio because he couldn't breath. He looked gassed to me, but it would be understandable.
loller90278
8/27/07 2:38:03PM
^^ gonzaga rocked couture several times in that fight.... if it wasn't for that unfortunate nose break it could have been a different fight.

after this performance i definatly have him in my top 10 HW

szucconi
8/27/07 2:44:24PM

Posted by loller90278

^^ gonzaga rocked couture several times in that fight.... if it wasn't for that unfortunate nose break it could have been a different fight.

I would agree. He got a valuable lesson from Randy and will come back even better. He had a strong showing and broke Randy's arm. Even though he got finished he looked better then big Tim.
kerazzle
8/27/07 4:45:04PM
Gonzaga is still a threat to any heavyweight, but I wouldnt put him in the top ten. The bandwagon movement for him was an incredibly quick rise and fall.
keith-hackney1
8/27/07 5:02:47PM
Very unfair to say that Gonzaga's high kick to the head on an mma fighter in CC was a fluke !!!
GG was gifted a golden oppertunity to train hard as he did and plan a stratigy to beat CC in england at ufc 70. He did that, wether CC was prepared or not, GG fought very clever, stuck to his game plan and won !!!
That win put him in the top end of the ufc hw division, and he deserves to be there. CC now has to start from the bottom. GG is the next generation of heavyweights, Fighters like CC easily get caught out, as they dont get it, that there is no stepping stones in this sport anymore, fighters are training harder and getting better because theres alot more at stake, and the rewards are of winning have gone through the roof.
CC expected an easy ko, then his shot for the title. This guy dont even train in a cage, yet he fights in one, he deserved to loose to Gonzaga. Mark my words, One day, gonzaga will be the ufc hw champ, just not yet.

nubby
8/27/07 5:26:35PM
Maybe. Gonzaga has some level of talent, but what about heart?

I agree about Filipovic. He didn't lose that fight, he got beat.
warglory
8/27/07 9:11:55PM

Posted by loller90278

Just because Couture got nailed several times doesn't mean he was rocked. I can remember one or two times when COuture had to think twice about how to engage Gabe after getting clocked, but that doesn't mean he was "rocked." After that high kick, the man looked unphased.

I agree that the fight could have turned out differently had Gabe not broken his nose though, that sapped alot of his heart. He showed he has talent, but he is too green to be in the top 10.
k_lup07
8/27/07 10:21:27PM
give gonzaga some more fights to recompose and then randy rematch. ill be taking napao, again
sakurabaforever
8/28/07 2:14:49AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Very unfair to say that Gonzaga's high kick to the head on an mma fighter in CC was a fluke !!!
GG was gifted a golden oppertunity to train hard as he did and plan a stratigy to beat CC in england at ufc 70. He did that, wether CC was prepared or not, GG fought very clever, stuck to his game plan and won !!!
That win put him in the top end of the ufc hw division, and he deserves to be there. CC now has to start from the bottom. GG is the next generation of heavyweights, Fighters like CC easily get caught out, as they dont get it, that there is no stepping stones in this sport anymore, fighters are training harder and getting better because theres alot more at stake, and the rewards are of winning have gone through the roof.
CC expected an easy ko, then his shot for the title. This guy dont even train in a cage, yet he fights in one, he deserved to loose to Gonzaga. Mark my words, One day, gonzaga will be the ufc hw champ, just not yet.

It was a fluke. How many times must this be addressed!? If someone doesn't train and doesn't care YES THEY DESERVE TO LOSE. But if you think the OWGP Mirko stepped in with GG CC looked like crap against Sanchez and GG. I am not taking anything away from GG, it's no easy task to beat CC on an off night. He did his part and deserved the win. But it's a FLUKE. It will never happen again, CC never lost to anyone twice in MMA. He will not underestimate GG again and seems to have his fire back.

CC start from the bottom He has beaten a who's who of MMA. GG has beaten only an unmotivated CC and got TKO'd by a smaller JJ fighter. GG will likely never be champ of if all the comp leaves, maybe he'll have a short stint like Sylvia, which will never be impressive.

And for the last time, "uknowledgable" fans are ones that only have a memory of one fight. Does everyone still think GG can run through Fedor after a dismantling by a soon to be senior citizen? That's laughable.
keith-hackney1
8/28/07 11:54:00AM

Posted by sakurabaforever

Posted by keith-hackney1

It was a fluke. How many times must this be addressed!? If someone doesn't train and doesn't care YES THEY DESERVE TO LOSE. But if you think the OWGP Mirko stepped in with GG you are on crack. CC looked like crap against Sanchez and GG. I am not taking anything away from GG, it's no easy task to beat CC on an off night. He did his part and deserved the win. But it's a FLUKE. It will never happen again, CC never lost to anyone twice in MMA. He will not underestimate GG again and seems to have his fire back.

CC start from the bottom He has beaten a who's who of MMA. GG has beaten only an unmotivated CC and got TKO'd by a smaller JJ fighter. GG will likely never be champ of if all the comp leaves, maybe he'll have a short stint like Sylvia, which will never be impressive.

And for the last time, "uknowledgable" fans are ones that only have a memory of one fight. Does everyone still think GG can run through Fedor after a dismantling by a soon to be senior citizen? That's laughable.

Your views are laughable, i bet you are a huge CC fan or what ???
I ask you, Where did CC come from ??? ... K1 ??
He's still a striker in MMA. Wether or not he trained for GG, I dont give a shit. GG trained for CC and ko'd him with style, rocketing his career as a contender.
Maybe they will fight again before either of them get a chance to fight for the title. I would bet again on napao.
cmill21
8/28/07 2:57:17PM
Lol yeah, gg looks like he thinks he's a great striker now, Mirko would kick hick head off if he tried to stand like he did against randy.
nubby
8/28/07 3:00:58PM

Posted by cmill21

Lol yeah, gg looks like he thinks he's a great striker now, Mirko would kick hick head off if he tried to stand like he did against randy.

Unless of course he cought another body kick and pounded CC's face in after he was dropped tot he ground.
keith-hackney1
8/28/07 3:18:39PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by cmill21

Unless of course he cought another body kick and pounded CC's face in after he was dropped tot he ground.

NONE OF YOU GUY's on here can say CC would do this, and that in a rematch or if he was to fight couture he'd do this and that to couture.... ******* bollox !!!

Crocop's one dimentional fighting stance is easily over come. GG out struck CC on the feet the same way HUNT and FEDOR did. Circle right, keep the hand up to protect chin from high left leg, and fire combo jabs at mirko from left and right angles .. Moving in then straight out. Crocop's style hasnt changed and never will. His style and his gameplan has never changed and the losses he's had are because clever fighters with good stratigized plans took mirko's weakness's and played them. Crocop has never had an mma fighter throw a head kick to his head, GG knew this. Kevin randleman knew that when a wrestler shoots on CC, he tends to drop his left hand... Fake shoot and land that bomb !!! ... Brilliantly executed. Nog knew he had limited ground skills, eventually got him to the ground after taking a beating, then subbed him with the arm bar... Again, gameplan. Fedor wanted to take it to the mat, which for most of their fight, thats where it went, enough for him to earn unanimous decision. Hunt, a k1 backround wanted to strike, ended up outstriking him nearly the whole fight. CC actually went to the mat with hunt as he knew he was loosing on the score card. What more do you want to hear ????

CC just like any other fighter in this sport is completely human, therefor he is very beatable !!!!!!!!
nubby
8/28/07 3:32:31PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by nubby

Posted by cmill21

NONE OF YOU GUY's on here can say CC would do this, and that in a rematch or if he was to fight couture he'd do this and that to couture.... ******* bollox !!!

Crocop's one dimentional fighting stance is easily over come. GG out struck CC on the feet the same way HUNT and FEDOR did. Circle right, keep the hand up to protect chin from high left leg, and fire combo jabs at mirko from left and right angles .. Moving in then straight out. Crocop's style hasnt changed and never will. His style and his gameplan has never changed and the losses he's had are because clever fighters with good stratigized plans took mirko's weakness's and played them. Crocop has never had an mma fighter throw a head kick to his head, GG knew this. Kevin randleman knew that when a wrestler shoots on CC, he tends to drop his left hand... Fake shoot and land that bomb !!! ... Brilliantly executed. Nog knew he had limited ground skills, eventually got him to the ground after taking a beating, then subbed him with the arm bar... Again, gameplan. Fedor wanted to take it to the mat, which for most of their fight, thats where it went, enough for him to earn unanimous decision. Hunt, a k1 backround wanted to strike, ended up outstriking him nearly the whole fight. CC actually went to the mat with hunt as he knew he was loosing on the score card. What more do you want to hear ????

CC just like any other fighter in this sport is completely human, therefor he is very beatable !!!!!!!!

I'm starting to agree, and it's leading me to think that the Pride Heavyweights are actually not that good... including Fedor. Don't get me wrong he's a great fighter, but I'm thinking perhaps not as great as some are saying. I've seen him fight and maybe the level of competition just isn't as high in Pride heavy weight division?
Mastodon2
8/28/07 7:01:50PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Hunt, a k1 backround wanted to strike, ended up outstriking him nearly the whole fight. CC actually went to the mat with hunt as he knew he was loosing on the score card. What more do you want to hear ????

Not to take anything away from Hunt, but Cro Cop was wearing shoes in that fight. He has never worn shoes in any other fight, its likely that he was hiding a very heavily bandaged foot. Cro Cop was injured, and even resorted to a heel strike (ace kick) most likely because his instep was messed up. He hits with his instep and its a bad habit when you are kicking as hard as he does, because its so prone to injury. If you watch videos of him training, not only does he wear shin guards (as anyone should) but he also wears a huge karate foot protector so he doesnt damage it in training.

When they were both healthy Cro Cop won over Hunt. Imo a Hunt / Cro Cop fight is always a toss up, because they are both just very good.

As for saying Cro Cop "never" changes his game plan, what about the rematch with Randleman? Kevin never even saw that Guillotine coming!

Cro Cop sticks to his bread and butter, his striking, because its worked so damn well right through his MMA career. He won't change massively, but it makes me so damn angry when people talk about him like he is some kind of bum, he is the best striker in HW MMA, by a considerable measure (excepting Hunt of course) and is the P4P most skilled striker too. People coming up with strategies to beat Cro Cop is nothing new, people have been saying for years "Oh he has no ground game, circle to the left, jab, then take him down", and so many times these seemingly fool proof strategies just havnt worked. Coleman, Barnett three times, Wanderlei, Yoshida, Waterman, Aleksander Emelianenko, Herring, Vovchanchyn, Sakuraba, Fujita - all their "game plans" just didnt work, even though the method to beating Cro Cop seems so simple, when the bell rings and the fight starts, it just isnt as simple as it was in training!
cmill21
8/28/07 8:32:55PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by nubby

Posted by cmill21

I'm starting to agree, and it's leading me to think that the Pride Heavyweights are actually not that good... including Fedor. Don't get me wrong he's a great fighter, but I'm thinking perhaps not as great as some are saying. I've seen him fight and maybe the level of competition just isn't as high in Pride heavy weight division?

How can both of you say things like this? Randleman was a champion in the UFC, Barnett was, Coleman was, Hunt was a K-1 champion, Nog and Fedor may not be that good? You have got to be kidding. As for the hunt fight, Mirko's the only person i've ever! EVER seen drop hunt, and then in the second time he comes in, probly with broken feet and loses to an elite K-1 champion with a head of stone a hands of iron by SD, he gets caught by randleman, then just about pops his head off in part II, Fedor has said Mirko pushed him to the limit, Nog got him when he had NO JJ training, and then gg gets him when he's there to cash a paycheck, and now he might not be that good? Do you realize he didn't have a coach? No gameplan's other then what he came up with on his own, no cage, no elbows. Now he's got a coach(elite one) he'll have gameplans prepared with others and disecting video, he'll also have someone to make sure he stays focused, he has elbow's and elbow defence now, and yeah he's got a cage. People always say Mirko's done, all that crap and then what does he do? Comes back and goes on a killing spree. He never changes his game? He's going more towards muay tai and adapting Remy Bonjasky's defence, he's hired a coach, moved to an octagon, brought in ricco rodriguez and dean lister to help his ground game in the cage. I think what both of you have decided to post is rediculous, about not only Mirko but everything else. Pride's HW's aren't that good? Thats one of the dumbest comments i've read in a while. /End Rant.
sakurabaforever
8/29/07 3:08:44AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

CC is not "very beatable". If that were true he would have a ton of losses. But yes, everyone is beatable.

Now the difference in his other losses is that those fighters actually fought the real CC. GG fought 10% or so of a guy that didn't feel like fighting. That's why CC would destroy him in a rematch. He is a smart guy and has never lost to the same MMA opponent twice. What does that tell you? I think it's likely he takes Fedor in a rematch as well.

And yes Randleman is very underrated and him and CC really need a rubber match to decide the better man. Neither will underestimate the other's striking/sub game this time around.

Your other statements are rubbish. CC's stance is "easily overcome" yet you only name 3 people in the MMA world who beat him, and not necessarily for that reason. Could GG eat those kicks like Hunt? Hell no. He would get annihilated. Could GG strike like Fedor and gas out CC? Hell no. There goes that. Fact is Fedor almost got beheaded in Rd 1 (watch the High Kick). And Nog...once again GG could not take those shots. And CC has since never been subbed (and Barnett is pretty damn good at those), that should tell you he is smart and has evolved his game.

GG's win is NOTHING like the others. Fluke, nothing more. Randy wouldn't be able to do this either, maybe if CC beat GG, he would underestimate Couture and lose, so maybe this is all better in the long run for CC, because he will never underestimate anyone again.

jomatty
8/29/07 5:14:54AM
it almost seems like sakurabaforever has some sort of personal issue with GG. he was beating cc before the "lucky" head kick. one loss to the hw champion of the world doesnt make him a slouch any more than one win makes him a champion. getting his nose drove through his face is part of the game, just like getting kicked in the head. this time it was his nose next time maybe not. give this guy time and i think he will be back and will be a contender. i agree that he is not proven but he has the strength and ground skills to be a top 10 hw, even though he might not be right now due to being untested. i mean the guy broke randys arm with a kick. the fact that randy didnt even slow down shows what a champion he is but against some guys that would have been game over. give him time, he lost to a great champion that doesnt make him a bum.
keith-hackney1
8/29/07 9:38:37AM

Now the difference in his other losses is that those fighters actually fought the real CC. GG fought 10% or so of a guy that didn't feel like fighting. That's why CC would destroy him in a rematch. He is a smart guy and has never lost to the same MMA opponent twice. What does that tell you? I think it's likely he takes Fedor in a rematch as well.

You called it, i would bet you my membership to this site that GG will beat CC again in a rematch provided its before CC gets a title shot !!!
cmill21
8/29/07 11:58:28AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

You called it, i would bet you my membership to this site that GG will beat CC again in a rematch provided its before CC gets a title shot !!!

I'd take that bet.
Jackelope
8/29/07 12:21:06PM
Especially now that after the fight between him and Couture the whole world knows he likes to throw that headkick. As slow as it is (although powerful) I'd hate to see a striker with Mirko's speed and power take advantage of that knowledge.

Actually, who am I kidding? I'd ******* love to see it.
sakurabaforever
8/29/07 1:12:49PM

Posted by jomatty

it almost seems like sakurabaforever has some sort of personal issue with GG. he was beating cc before the "lucky" head kick. one loss to the hw champion of the world doesnt make him a slouch any more than one win makes him a champion. getting his nose drove through his face is part of the game, just like getting kicked in the head. this time it was his nose next time maybe not. give this guy time and i think he will be back and will be a contender. i agree that he is not proven but he has the strength and ground skills to be a top 10 hw, even though he might not be right now due to being untested. i mean the guy broke randys arm with a kick. the fact that randy didnt even slow down shows what a champion he is but against some guys that would have been game over. give him time, he lost to a great champion that doesnt make him a bum.

Did you even read my post? YES, GG DOMINATED THE ENTIRE FIGHT, no one said he didn't. The HK itself was not lucky, the entire fight was a FLUKE in the sense that is not the best the CC that showed up. What is there not to understand? The reason I cannot give that much credit to GG is because Fedor, Randleman and Nog beat the best CC (at the time). GG didn't.

And KeithHackney, I will take that bet too, although if cmill takes it first you won't be around to give up your membership anyway.
keith-hackney1
8/29/07 2:50:08PM

And KeithHackney, I will take that bet too, although if cmill takes it first you won't be around to give up your membership anyway.

Its a two way bet my son, already stands 1-0 to GG, I like my chances !!!

Fluke or not GG was victorious ... Not CC.
I like how it was said that if CC was to land a head kick on GG, Gonzaga wouldnt be able to take too many like hunt did. If, If, If, If... We know thing, Crocop cant take gonzaga's head kicks can he now...??? He got KTFO from gonzaga's head kick !!!!!!

All of you GG haters wait and see how much good this loss to couture will do to him. When he makes his way back to the top, he'll be 10 times better.
cmill21
8/29/07 2:55:32PM
Do you not understand that he had all the motivation in the world? He was close to bankruptcy, and this was his big shot. Mirko had no motivation,. he made his money, he won his title, he was there to make more money. Now he has motivation, he feels people in the UFC and the US don't respect him, piss off an elite kickboxing ATJ Luko commander....
ncordless
8/29/07 3:48:02PM

Posted by cmill21

Do you not understand that he had all the motivation in the world? He was close to bankruptcy, and this was his big shot. Mirko had no motivation,. he made his money, he won his title, he was there to make more money. Now he has motivation, he feels people in the UFC and the US don't respect him, piss off an elite kickboxing ATJ Luko commander....

I am starting think that the reason that Cro Cop lost was that people were hugging his nuts so hard he was having a tough time getting his LHK off.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3