This is gonna hurt: UFC serves Tito Ortiz with cease and desist for new book

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » This is gonna hurt: UFC serves Tito Ortiz with cease and desist for new book
grappler0000
6/5/08 12:42:07AM
The long arm of Zuffa law apparently extends to estranged former champions who write books and wear their belts on the covers.

Tito Ortiz — who just satisfied the final fight on his contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) — has been served with a cease and desist because his recently released autobiography, “This is Gonna Hurt,” violates the intellectual property rights of the mixed martial arts promotion, according to MMAPayout.com.

“The Huntington Beach Bad Boy,” according to the report, needed to get the stamp of approval from the UFC to sport the belt on the cover of the book. And he apparently did not get the green light or overlooked the clause in his contract.

Link
MMAcca
6/5/08 12:43:54AM
Dana always gets the last laugh......
Mchubb316
6/5/08 12:47:16AM
Wow. Let the war of words continue between Tito and Dana. After Tito's fight he praised Frank and Lorenzo Fertita for being standup guys, and treating him well. I can't help but think they had a hand in this. I wonder what Tito will say about them now?
wolfman
6/5/08 1:06:29AM

Posted by MMAcca

Dana always gets the last laugh......

Yep, apparently....
Manfred
6/5/08 2:09:16AM
Wow, that's got to hurt, pun intended.

Seriously, Tito just has to change the cover pic.

Now, I'm sure he'll add any and all dirt he has on Dana that isn't already there.
roman
6/5/08 2:34:30AM
He should change the cover to him in his famous, "Dana is my bitch" shirt.
DCRage
6/5/08 6:45:08AM
Guess I'd better hurry up and buy the book if I still can. This truly won't be over until Dana is no longer associated with UFC.
Jackelope
6/5/08 8:20:46AM
Going after a lawsuit like this is just spiteful. Imagine how much it is going to cost Zuffa and NOW tell me the UFC can't afford to give their undercard guys just a little bit more cash.

I had been keeping my mouth shut on the money thing for a while now, but this just re-fueled that fire. Seriously, they've got guys making 3k a fight yet they can shell out probably $50,000 + for a stupid and spiteful lawsuit like this??
TWITA
6/5/08 12:18:58PM

Posted by DCRage

Guess I'd better hurry up and buy the book if I still can. This truly won't be over until Dana is no longer associated with UFC.

Why (unless you're hoping that it will become a collector's item)? The entire book will just be filled with more Tito BS.
wolfman
6/5/08 9:26:38PM

Posted by Jackelope

Going after a lawsuit like this is just spiteful. Imagine how much it is going to cost Zuffa and NOW tell me the UFC can't afford to give their undercard guys just a little bit more cash.

I had been keeping my mouth shut on the money thing for a while now, but this just re-fueled that fire. Seriously, they've got guys making 3k a fight yet they can shell out probably $50,000 + for a stupid and spiteful lawsuit like this??

Very true, Dana should just take the high road and be on with his life...This is high school drama.
Rush
6/5/08 10:37:44PM

Posted by Jackelope

Good point.