Golden Glory trainer on recent UFC/Strikeforce cuts: "I think it's unfair"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Golden Glory trainer on recent UFC/Strikeforce cuts: "I think it's unfair"
FastKnockout
8/3/11 4:45:10PM
Martin de Jong got a punch to the gut when he checked his email Wednesday morning.

In his inbox was a letter forwarded from Golden Glory manager Bas Boon that stated three of his fighters under the Zuffa umbrella had been cut due to recent losses.

The fighters included former Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Marloes Coenen, UFC heavyweight Jon Olav Einemo and Strikeforce heavyweight Valentijn Overeem.

"This is a big blow for us," de Jong today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I feel it's kind of unfair to the fighters. They train hard. They put on exciting performances."

Are the cuts related to the recent strife between Alistair Overeem and Zuffa?

De Jong can't be sure.

"You tell me," he said. "I have no idea, but it doesn't look good. Of course, for us, it's really bad. I'm very disappointed. What can I say?"

LINK
FastKnockout
8/3/11 4:47:13PM
"For me, it doesn't make sense," he said. "I was just thinking, 'Is this the future of MMA?'"

Hate to say it, but it looks that way. Zuffa will most likely own the landscape of MMA here in the next few years, and if you have any disagreements with them, then your just s*** out of luck.
kingsmasher
8/3/11 5:33:50PM
I think totally guilty by association..>dana whites from Boston..hes knows how to make u uncomfy and the bad guy in your own family...
prophecy033
8/3/11 6:36:40PM
It could be a blessing in disguise. All these guys they cut for various reason are eventually gonna join a league that won't sellout to zuffa. We need competing promotions. It's better for the sport imo and its better for the fighters. When zuffa cuts you, its like one of us getting demoted from 6 figures to 5. It effects lives and families
tallica62
8/3/11 9:10:03PM
for the most part, zuffa=mma
prozacnation1978
8/3/11 10:17:19PM
I agree
Patchedup15
8/3/11 10:46:49PM
Damn right they are.. i think its about tme for a union
tarantula
8/4/11 10:10:20AM
If thats the case than I will start watching and supporting kickboxing(It's Showtime) instead. F#@k Zuffa.