So who is the GOAT?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » So who is the GOAT?
« Previous Page
POLL: GOAT
Fedor 9% (3)
Hendo 12% (4)
Jones 0% (0)
Anderson 73% (24)
GSP 6% (2)
Other 0% (0)
george112
5/23/12 10:38:01AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by george112

Not at all. Just don't agree he was p4p thats all

March 11, 2002 Rankings

Posted by george112

It almost seems like your basing all of Fedors opponents on how they have fought lately. When in actuality no credit is going to how good they were.

Let's be honest here. Anderson Silva's wins over Sakurai and Newton are two of biggest wins of his career if framed in the perspective of when it happened. (And Matt Hughes's subsequent victory over Hayato Sakurai does not minimize that Hayato Sakurai was at the time he lost to The Spider a bona fide pound-for-pound contender.)

Unlike Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson, he has reigned over two divisions in his career.

Using lists it seems makes this debate highly divisive. One can not prop up Fedor's list without discrediting some of Silva's wins and the same it seems when done in reverse. But pound-for-pound is more than just who is the most dominant, since their divisional dominance is comparable and pretty much a wash. Skill, consistency, and defining what a mixed martial artist is is just as important.

So with all that skill and consistency about martial artists and what not are we going to just leave out Fedors Sambo accomplishments? Or they don't count towards GOAT.

That's 2 sports he reigned over. MMA and Sambo.
2 divisions is cool too
grappler0000
5/23/12 12:35:44PM
Since people can't agree how fighters were ranked at the time, I went through and found each fighter's ranking in the division according to Sherdog, prior to the fights in question. I have also placed the #10 ranked fighter in parentheses to show the depth of the division at the time.

I assumed Nog and Franklin would assume 2 spots each, but I'll work with what everyone is using.

Fedor

1. Big Nog (A) #1 (Schilt)
Big Nog (B) #2 (Eilers)
2. CroCop #3 (Sylvia)
3. A.A #5 (Rothwell)
4. Sylvia #4 (Rothwell)
5. Hunt #8 (Monson)
6.Randleman #-- (Mir)
7. Herring #4 (Schilt)
8. Schilt #10

- Coleman (A) #8 (Wiuff)
- Coleman (B) #-- (Monson)
- Rogers #6 (Carwin)

Anderson

1. Franklin (A) #1 (Horn)
Franklin (B) #4 (Trigg)
2. Henderson #3** (Santiago) & #2 @ LHW
3. Belfort #6 (Bisping)
4. Sakurai #1 (Sherk)
5. Sonnen #2 (Souza)
6. Nate #7 (Gono)
7. Okami #3 (Rockhold)
** - a few months prior to fight, but was dropped from MW rankings, due to fighting at LHW

I'm not sure why Okami was listed twice, as the first contest was a DQ. For the 8th slot, you can just pick one of Anderson's other opponents:

- Maia #5 (Khalidov)
- Murray #9 (Doerksen)
- Horn #2 (Doerksen)
- Leites #9 (Belfort)
- Newton #3 (Carter)
- Forrest #4 @ LHW
george112
5/23/12 3:29:52PM

Posted by grappler0000

Since people can't agree how fighters were ranked at the time, I went through and found each fighter's ranking in the division according to Sherdog, prior to the fights in question. I have also placed the #10 ranked fighter in parentheses to show the depth of the division at the time.

I assumed Nog and Franklin would assume 2 spots each, but I'll work with what everyone is using.

Fedor

1. Big Nog (A) #1 (Schilt)
Big Nog (B) #2 (Eilers)
2. CroCop #3 (Sylvia)
3. A.A #5 (Rothwell)
4. Sylvia #4 (Rothwell)
5. Hunt #8 (Monson)
6.Randleman #-- (Mir)
7. Herring #4 (Schilt)
8. Schilt #10

- Coleman (A) #8 (Wiuff)
- Coleman (B) #-- (Monson)
- Rogers #6 (Carwin)

Anderson

1. Franklin (A) #1 (Horn)
Franklin (B) #4 (Trigg)
2. Henderson #3** (Santiago) & #2 @ LHW
3. Belfort #6 (Bisping)
4. Sakurai #1 (Sherk)
5. Sonnen #2 (Souza)
6. Nate #7 (Gono)
7. Okami #3 (Rockhold)
** - a few months prior to fight, but was dropped from MW rankings, due to fighting at LHW

I'm not sure why Okami was listed twice, as the first contest was a DQ. For the 8th slot, you can just pick one of Anderson's other opponents:

- Maia #5 (Khalidov)
- Murray #9 (Doerksen)
- Horn #2 (Doerksen)
- Leites #9 (Belfort)
- Newton #3 (Carter)
- Forrest #4 @ LHW

very thorough. OG Prop coming your way

I've come to a conclusion

Fedor = GOAT Heavyweight
Anderson = GOAT Middleweight
pmoney
5/23/12 7:17:42PM

Posted by BossHog

Anderson hands down right now BUT there are guys coming up with tons of that could surpass his accomplishments in the future. Jon Jones being the obvious but don't forget about Jose Aldo. If Aldo moves up to LW and keeps smashing he will have a serious argument for GOAT.

Also time will tell, but the way guys like Rory Mac and Weidman have started off their careers is GOAT potential IMO.

I like the cut of your jib, BossHog. If Jose goes on a tear and gets the LW title, he's in the GOAT conversation no doubt. Ares and Weidman definitely have the beginnings of GOAT status. Where the rest of their careers take them will be the determining factor.

Edit: I went with Anderson. Although it was a very, very tough call. Anderson's losses in the middle of his career made it hard for me to choose him. Fedor's losses came at the tail end of a decade long massacre. Even then, he kind of beat himself against Werdum. And who knows what would have happened if the doctors didn't stop the Bigfoot fight.(where was the Amassou-Rickles ref then?) In my mind, his KO loss to Hendo is the only loss that can't be questioned.

Damn now I convinced myself it's Fedor and I already voted.
grappler0000
5/24/12 2:34:57PM
As much as my original data tells a story, organizing that data draws a much clearer picture. I've rearranged the fighters in order of ranking at the time of the fight and excluded any non-ranked fighters...

Fedor

1. Big Nog_a #1 (Schilt)
2. Big Nog_b #2 (Eilers)
3. CroCop #3 (Sylvia)
4. Sylvia #4 (Rothwell)
5. Herring #4 (Schilt)
6. Arlovski #5 (Rothwell)
7. Rogers #6 (Carwin)
8. Hunt #8 (Monson)
- Coleman_a #8 (Wiuff)
- Schilt #10

Anderson

1. Franklin_a #1 (Horn)
2. Sakurai #1 (Sherk)
3. Sonnen #2 (Souza)
4. Horn #2 (Doerksen)
5. Henderson #3 (Santiago) & #2 @ LHW
6. Okami #3 (Rockhold)
7. Newton #3 (Carter)
8. Franklin_b #4 (Trigg)
- Forrest #4 (Wanderlei)
- Maia #5 (Khalidov)
- Belfort #6 (Bisping)
- Nate #7 (Gono)
- Murray #9 (Doerksen)
- Leites #9 (Belfort)
warglory
5/24/12 7:30:42PM

Posted by george112

Dude nobody cherry picked. Those are the biggest names he fought. Easy. And to say he wasn't winning is retarded. He up until that point was the only person on top of Anderson. Of course we all know he went for a sloppy armbar and got beat

Alright dude, let's go through Anderson's wins vs. Fedor's wins, from 2002 to 2012, since you won't give credit where credit is due.

Roan Carneiro - Fought Silva in his second fight, and then went on a tear with several wins, a couple of which were in the UFC. He isn't a ranked fighter, but is still relevant today. Finished by submission via punches.

Alex Stiebling - Was 16 fights deep, with only one loss heading into his bout with Anderson Silva. If you watched back then, Stiebling was the first version of Chael Sonnen (which I never thought about until just now), who made it his goal in life to beat Brazilians, while talking shit, and was pretty good at it until he ran into Anderson, resulting in a doctor stoppage in the first.

Alexander Otsuka - Otsuka's record doesn't do him justice. Yes, he can be labeled as a can, and I wouldn't be able to argue against that, but he gave pretty much everyone he fought a hell of a fight. The dude went to decision with Vovchanchyn during Igor's prime!

Carlos Newton - Newton was still considered a major contender at this point in his career, having just lost the title to Matt Hughes, who is one of the best welterweights of all time, which was recognized even back then. KO'd via flying knee and punches.

Waldir dos Anjos - Can. Won't be around the bush with this one. Sub via corner stoppage in between rounds I believe.

Jeremy Horn - Conveniently left out Horn, who was a force back then. In his previous 5 wins, before fighting Silva, he beat Dave Loiseau, Chael Sonnen and Dean Lister. This was a major win with Silva.

Lee Murray - Riding a 5 fight win streak, including a win over Jorge Rivera and Pele. This was Murray's last fight before turning to a life of crime.

Jorge Rivera - Another one you left off your list conveniently. This dude is an elite fighter. Not top 10, but he was able to hang with the best in the UFC for years.

Curtis Stout - Can, but a can who has fought some big names. Stout was finished.

Tony Fryklund - Can-ish. Finished in the 1st via KO.

Alright UFC time!

Chris Leben - Not a dangerous opponent? he was 15-1 before fighting Silva, finishing most of his opponents. Leben continues to be a contender, and Silva smashed him.

Rich Franklin - The dude was the p4p king of the middleweights then, and probably the most popular fighter in the UFC save for maybe Chuck Liddell. Silva smashed him...nay, obliterated him. Franklin was dethroned, and while he is still a contender, his psyche was forever destroyed by Silva.

Travis Lutter- Wow, he was on top, that qualifies as winning? You are also ignoring the fact that Lutter is an accomplished ground fighter (7/10 wins by submission) The fight lasted 1.5 rounds, and ended with him getting smashed with elbows.

Nate Marquardt - This guy is still a title contender, and would have probably had his re-match by now had he not been given the boot. This time around though, Silva beat him in the first via TKO.

Rich Franklin - Rich said he worked on his muay thai, to the point where fans were confident in him winning a re-match. Yeah no.

Dan Henderson - Only person to hold two belts at one time in the history of MMA. You yourself said that Silva isn't close to being as close to GOAT status, yet the man was subbed in the second round.

James Irvin - Dana asked Anderson to step up a weight class for shits and giggles. KO a minute into the fight. Next.

Patrick Cote - On a 5 fight win streak, and clear contender to Silva if you recall. Some even speculated that he'd have a shot with his power, to take out Silva. This was an arrogant display by Silva, only eclipsed by the sheer mismatch.

Thales Leites - This dude was legit back then (and still is), as being one of the best BJJ guys in the business, and his record speaks for itself. Once again, another fighter you left off despite being the clear #1 contender at the time.

Forrest Griffin - Just another trot in the park per Dana's request against a former LHW champ. Have I mentioned before my mouth was open for the entire affair of this fight, in shock at how he manhandled Griffin?

Demian Maia - What do you mean "come on now?" Maia is STILL the best ground fighter in the UFC today, he just doesn't fight like it anymore. I can't believe you blow off this man's accomplishments. He, like all the other contenders, was very deserving of his spot. A couple of more wins under his belt against top fighters, and he'll be in the hunt again. My how people forget. Amazing.

Chael Sonnen - Anderson got his ass kicked for the first time in his career, yet still manages to pull out the win. Consider this Anderson's head spike from Kevin Randleman moment.

Vitor Belfort - Not relevant? He dominated Rich Franklin like it was child's play, and then was KO'd likety split with a karate kick. wha?!

Yushin Okami - Again, you disrespect this man's accomplishments. I won't even talk about his record, because again, this man's skills speak for themselves. Okami was LONG overdue for a title shot, and he was completely dominated.

Now, with that done, let's see you go through all of Fedor's opponents and let's sparse out his relevance. (Note: Fedor was the best HW in the world, and was p4p for years, but not GOAT)

george112
5/25/12 10:50:50AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

Dude nobody cherry picked. Those are the biggest names he fought. Easy. And to say he wasn't winning is retarded. He up until that point was the only person on top of Anderson. Of course we all know he went for a sloppy armbar and got beat

Alright dude, let's go through Anderson's wins vs. Fedor's wins, from 2002 to 2012, since you won't give credit where credit is due.

Roan Carneiro - Fought Silva in his second fight, and then went on a tear with several wins, a couple of which were in the UFC. He isn't a ranked fighter, but is still relevant today. Finished by submission via punches.

Alex Stiebling - Was 16 fights deep, with only one loss heading into his bout with Anderson Silva. If you watched back then, Stiebling was the first version of Chael Sonnen (which I never thought about until just now), who made it his goal in life to beat Brazilians, while talking shit, and was pretty good at it until he ran into Anderson, resulting in a doctor stoppage in the first.

Alexander Otsuka - Otsuka's record doesn't do him justice. Yes, he can be labeled as a can, and I wouldn't be able to argue against that, but he gave pretty much everyone he fought a hell of a fight. The dude went to decision with Vovchanchyn during Igor's prime!

Carlos Newton - Newton was still considered a major contender at this point in his career, having just lost the title to Matt Hughes, who is one of the best welterweights of all time, which was recognized even back then. KO'd via flying knee and punches.

Waldir dos Anjos - Can. Won't be around the bush with this one. Sub via corner stoppage in between rounds I believe.

Jeremy Horn - Conveniently left out Horn, who was a force back then. In his previous 5 wins, before fighting Silva, he beat Dave Loiseau, Chael Sonnen and Dean Lister. This was a major win with Silva.

Lee Murray - Riding a 5 fight win streak, including a win over Jorge Rivera and Pele. This was Murray's last fight before turning to a life of crime.

Jorge Rivera - Another one you left off your list conveniently. This dude is an elite fighter. Not top 10, but he was able to hang with the best in the UFC for years.

Curtis Stout - Can, but a can who has fought some big names. Stout was finished.

Alright UFC time!

Chris Leben - Not a dangerous opponent? he was 15-1 before fighting Silva, finishing most of his opponents. Leben continues to be a contender, and Silva smashed him.

Rich Franklin - The dude was the p4p king of the middleweights then, and probably the most popular fighter in the UFC save for maybe Chuck Liddell. Silva smashed him...nay, obliterated him. Franklin was dethroned, and while he is still a contender, his psyche was forever destroyed by Silva.

Travis Lutter- Wow, he was on top, that qualifies as winning? You are also ignoring the fact that Lutter is an accomplished ground fighter (7/10 wins by submission) The fight lasted 1.5 rounds, and ended with him getting smashed with elbows.

Nate Marquardt - This guy is still a title contender, and would have probably had his re-match by now had he not been given the boot. This time around though, Silva beat him in the first via TKO.

Rich Franklin - Rich said he worked on his muay thai, to the point where fans were confident in him winning a re-match. Yeah no.

Dan Henderson - Only person to hold two belts at one time in the history of MMA. You yourself said that Silva isn't close to being as close to GOAT status, yet the man was subbed in the second round.

James Irvin - Dana asked Anderson to step up a weight class for shits and giggles. KO a minute into the fight. Next.

Patrick Cote - On a 5 fight win streak, and clear contender to Silva if you recall. Some even speculated that he'd have a shot with his power, to take out Silva. This was an arrogant display by Silva, only eclipsed by the sheer mismatch.

Thales Leites - This dude was legit back then (and still is), as being one of the best BJJ guys in the business, and his record speaks for itself. Once again, another fighter you left off despite being the clear #1 contender at the time.

Forrest Griffin - Just another trot in the park per Dana's request against a former LHW champ. Have I mentioned before my mouth was open for the entire affair of this fight, in shock at how he manhandled Griffin?

Demian Maia - What do you mean "come on now?" Maia is STILL the best ground fighter in the UFC today, he just doesn't fight like it anymore. I can't believe you blow off this man's accomplishments. He, like all the other contenders, was very deserving of his spot. A couple of more wins under his belt against top fighters, and he'll be in the hunt again. My how people forget. Amazing.

Chael Sonnen - Anderson got his ass kicked for the first time in his career, yet still manages to pull out the in. Consider this Anderson's head spike from Kevin Randleman moment.

Vitor Belfort - Not relevant? He dominated Rich Franklin like it was child's play, and then was KO'd likety split with a karate kick. wha?!

Yushin Okami - Again, you disrespect this man's accomplishments. I won't even talk about his record, because again, this man's skills speak for themselves. Okami was LONG overdue for a title shot, and he was completely dominated.

Now, with that done, let's see you go through all of Fedor's opponents and let's sparse out his relevance. (Note: Fedor was the best HW in the world, and was p4p for years, but not GOAT)

I know you worked hard for that one up so ill let you have it

BTW this topic has been pretty much resolved for like 2 days.

And my position stands as I've posted above

Fedor is the GOAT heavyweight
Anderson is the GOAT Middleweight
warglory
5/25/12 7:01:03PM

Posted by george112

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

Alright UFC time!

Chael Sonnen - Anderson got his ass kicked for the first time in his career, yet still manages to pull out the in. Consider this Anderson's head spike from Kevin Randleman moment.

I did, and thank you. I would prop you for the kindness, but alas, you have been propped too much.
george112
5/25/12 9:06:54PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

Alright UFC time!

I did, and thank you. I would prop you for the kindness, but alas, you have been propped too much.

No worries man. You gotta OG Prop for all that effort
Pookie
5/26/12 10:15:38AM
Because the two are the same size anyway. I'm inclined to say the GOAT is the one that would beat the other, if their Prime selves fought.
Pages: 1 2 [3]