So who is the GOAT?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » So who is the GOAT?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: GOAT
Fedor 9% (3)
Hendo 12% (4)
Jones 0% (0)
Anderson 73% (24)
GSP 6% (2)
Other 0% (0)
prophecy033
5/22/12 6:28:49PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by george112

Like I said this dude just has a streak

except he beat the same Hendo you're saying could be the GOAT. I'd say that puts him ahead of Hendo

We differ there. Hendo beat Fedor, but I wouldn't put him ahead of him just yet. Now if Hendo shocks the world and beats Bones, I'll probably have to do some retooling on my GOAT list.

its like A beats B, B beats C, C beats A
cowcatcher
5/22/12 6:32:35PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by george112

except he beat the same Hendo you're saying could be the GOAT. I'd say that puts him ahead of Hendo

We differ there. Hendo beat Fedor, but I wouldn't put him ahead of him just yet. Now if Hendo shocks the world and beats Bones, I'll probably have to do some retooling on my GOAT list.

Ah, MMAth. That trick always works!

Your sorcery doesn't work on me Proph!
prophecy033
5/22/12 6:34:55PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by george112

Ah, MMAth. That trick always works!

Your sorcery doesn't work on me Proph!

Dang Nabit
Pookie
5/22/12 6:36:43PM

Posted by grappler0000

Alright, somebody list both Anderson's and Fedor's 8 greatest victories. We'll get to the bottom of this if it takes all night.

I'll use the word Greatest to infer that if there's any doubt which victory was over better competition, go with the more dominant performance.

Anderson: Vitor, Henderson, Franklin, Forrest, Sakurai, Newton, Marquardt, Okami
Fedor: Nog, Cro-cop, Schilt, Randleman, Herring, Choi, Sylvia, Arlovski
george112
5/22/12 6:38:04PM

Posted by grappler0000

Alright, somebody list both Anderson's and Fedor's 8 greatest victories. We'll get to the bottom of this if it takes all night.

Anderson

1. Franklin x2
2. Henderson
3. Belfort
4. Sakarai ( imo shouldn't even be on the list)
5. Sonnen
6. Nate
7. Okami
8. Okami

A nice list there. I will give him that. No particular order. But those are definitely the biggest names.

Fedor

1. Big Nog x2
2. CroCop
3. A.A
4. Sylvia
5. Hunt
6.Randleman
7. Herring
8. Schilt

Not to mention.

Fujita
Goodridge
Arona
Sobral
Coleman
Lindland

Yeah these guys aren't the best TODAY but in their respective times were ranked way higher than almost all of Andersons big name wins.

If the GOAT is dependent on being in the UFC that's crap. If its even based on streaks. Fedor STILL wins that.
Budgellism
5/22/12 6:42:37PM

Posted by george112

You forgot to mention this guy lost by flying heel hook during the same time he knocked out newton.

I have him at #2, lol. Im not discrediting his career. I feel Andersons has been more impressive overall. Nope, didn't forget his loss to Chonan or his loss to Takase. They're not very nice losses to have on a record but I wouldn't be able to explain them even if I tried.
cowcatcher
5/22/12 6:47:38PM
Fedor not being in the UFC doesn't keep him out of the top spot, for me at least, but Anderson being there strengthens the argument for him, if you get what I'm saying George.

In the end, it's a purely opinionated thing. There are really good arguments for all the guys listed, and it's going to come down to what each person puts more weight into. If we talk about the greatest QB of all time, Joe Montana is going to be in the conversation based on rings, when his numbers aren't close to a guy like Marino, or Manning, but they have to be mentioned because of pure numbers.

Also, Sakurai was in the conversation for best P4P fighter at the time that Andy beat him, so that was an excellent win.
george112
5/22/12 6:48:26PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by george112

You forgot to mention this guy lost by flying heel hook during the same time he knocked out newton.

I have him at #2, lol. Im not discrediting his career. I feel Andersons has been more impressive overall. Nope, didn't forget his loss to Chonan or his loss to Takase. They're not very nice losses to have on a record but I wouldn't be able to explain them even if I tried.

I just don't get how you can think that

I can only think its because he is in the UFC and Fedor was not/isnt.

Clearly competition was in Fedors favor. Clearly Fedor had the longer streak

Only thing keeping fedor from GOAT status is him staying out of the UFC
Budgellism
5/22/12 6:49:28PM

Posted by george112

Yeah these guys aren't the best TODAY but in their respective times were ranked way higher than almost all of Andersons big name wins.

I have to disagree with that but the letters u, m, J and the number 7 randomly stopped working on my laptop so I have to copy and paste those letters every time I need to type them. It fucking sucks and I don't want to type anymore .

Can someone who agrees continue this for me?
Budgellism
5/22/12 6:51:40PM

Posted by george112

Theres no clearly about that. I disagree full heartedly with that statement.

Him being in the ufc has nothing to do with it. I strictly looking at competition.
george112
5/22/12 6:52:35PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Fedor not being in the UFC doesn't keep him out of the top spot, for me at least, but Anderson being there strengthens the argument for him, if you get what I'm saying George.

In the end, it's a purely opinionated thing. There are really good arguments for all the guys listed, and it's going to come down to what each person puts more weight into. If we talk about the greatest QB of all time, Joe Montana is going to be in the conversation based on rings, when his numbers aren't close to a guy like Marino, or Manning, but they have to be mentioned because of pure numbers.

Also, Sakurai was in the conversation for best P4P fighter at the time that Andy beat him, so that was an excellent win.

An excellent point and I totally agree

However Sakarai came to the UFC and got beat by Hughes. Being in the conversation for p4p is definitely different then being p4p
george112
5/22/12 6:55:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by george112

Theres no clearly about that. I disagree full heartedly with that statement.

Him being in the ufc has nothing to do with it. I strictly looking at competition.

Seriously !!!?? Haha

Wow man I don't even know what to say.

How many former UFC champs does fedor gotta beat?

If you can explain to me why Fedors streak is inferior to Silvas I will concede my defeat
Budgellism
5/22/12 6:56:00PM

Posted by george112

Posted by cowcatcher

However Sakarai came to the UFC and got beat by Hughes. Being in the conversation for p4p is definitely different then being p4p

Sakurai being beaten by the 2nd best welterweight in ufc history in his prime discredits Andersons win over him?
george112
5/22/12 7:01:39PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by george112

Posted by cowcatcher

Sakurai being beaten by the 2nd best welterweight in ufc history in his prime discredits Andersons win over him?

Not at all. Just don't agree he was p4p thats all
Budgellism
5/22/12 7:07:50PM
Anderson

1. Franklin x2
2. Henderson
3. Belfort
5. Sonnen
6. Nate
7. Okami
8. Okami

Fedor

1. Big Nog x2
2. CroCop
3. A.A
4. Sylvia
5. Hunt
6.Randleman
7. Herring
8. Schilt

You think Fedors list looks better?

AA - Losing then throws a punch that catches his weak Jaw
Sylvia - ... Knocking him out quickly was impressive, Ill give you that but my stance on Sylvia is not a good one.
Hunt - Hes a great fighter, if you fight a stand up fight... In 2006 a win over Hunt isn't anything to write home about
Randleman - You're reaching here man.
Herring - See above ^
Schilt - See above again ^

Also, why should a win over Sakurai not be on the list? Im still confused by that. He was the number 1 guy in Silvas weight class at the time.

Also, If I come off as a dick at all sorry! All in good fun
george112
5/22/12 7:13:25PM

Posted by Budgellism

Anderson

1. Franklin x2
2. Henderson
3. Belfort
5. Sonnen
6. Nate
7. Okami
8. Okami

Fedor

1. Big Nog x2
2. CroCop
3. A.A
4. Sylvia
5. Hunt
6.Randleman
7. Herring
8. Schilt

Sylvia - ... Knocking him out quickly was impressive, Ill give you that but my stance on Sylvia is not a good one.
Hunt - Hes a great fighter, if you fight a stand up fight... In 2006 a win over Hunt isn't anything to write home about
Herring - See above ^

To answer your question yes. It looks better.

It almost seems like your basing all of Fedors opponents on how they have fought lately. When in actuality no credit is going to how good they were.

Like I said tell me why Fedors streak is inferior to Silvas.

And saying he was losing against A.A and catching him totally contradicts what you said about Silva losing against Lutter than coming back to win

Tim and A.A were still top 10

prophecy033
5/22/12 7:17:49PM
I love these debates to be honest. Everyone has there opinions on who is the Greatest here or there, then and now or of all-time. For the longest time I thought Fedor was #1 end of story. Then Anderson came along and kicked the shit outta everyone. Hell, I didn't even pick him to win in his second fight against Franklin and that was after I witnessed him pound Franklins face in the first time. Now we have Jones in the picture looking like he may someday take the GOAT title. They all have their reasons for appointing them GOAT or not, I just love heating everyone's opinions
Budgellism
5/22/12 8:52:10PM

Posted by george112

Posted by Budgellism

Anderson

1. Franklin x2
2. Henderson
3. Belfort
5. Sonnen
6. Nate
7. Okami
8. Okami

Fedor

1. Big Nog x2
2. CroCop
3. A.A
4. Sylvia
5. Hunt
6.Randleman
7. Herring
8. Schilt

Herring - See above ^

It almost seems like your basing all of Fedors opponents on how they have fought lately. When in actuality no credit is going to how good they were.

And saying he was losing against A.A and catching him totally contradicts what you said about Silva losing against Lutter than coming back to win

Im basing all of them off the time of the fight.

I‘m not trying to discredit the win. Fedor hits hard and Arlovskis chin had already been known as weak. Im more discrediting Arlovski for Jumping into a well known power strikers punch. Silva didn‘t catch Lutter with one punch, he put him in a triangle then smashed his head with elbows until Lutter submitted. Two VERY different things.

Both guys were decent wins. They were past their primes, but they're good wins nonetheless. But that leaves 5 wins to argue your point. Ill look at Silvas list.

Anderson

1. Franklin x2 - Franklin was ranked number 1 at middleweight and top 5 p4p during the first fight. He was ranked number 2 the 2nd time.
2. Henderson - Ranked the number 2 at middleweight at the time of the fight. He was top 15 (maybe 10) p4p and is arguably in the top 3 GOAT discussion.
3. Belfort - Considered a top 10 middleweight by many at the time of the fight.
4. Sakurai - Ridiculous to say he shouldn't be included. This was the win that established Anderson as a top prospect. Sakurai was ranked number 1 in the division and considered a top 5 p4p fighter at that time. Huge win for him.
5. Sonnen - maybe not his most impressive performance but he got the W after 4 and a half gruelling rounds. Sonnen was number 2 at the time.
6. Nate - 3 time king of pancrase champion, 4-0 in the ufc at the time of the fight and a top 5 middleweight.
7. Okami - He destroyed Okami, who was again, a top 5 middleweight at the time and 10-3 in the ufc.
8. Im not counting Okami twice so, Forrest Griffin - Say what you want about him but he was a top 5 Light Heavyweight at the time of that fight and he was a former champion at a weight class above Andersons. Anderson is the guy that made everyone forget Griffin is a top 10 Light Heavyweight.

The lists aren't even close man. I can keep talking about the guys Anderson has beaten but Ive argued this enough.
george112
5/22/12 9:05:56PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by george112

Posted by Budgellism

Anderson

1. Franklin x2
2. Henderson
3. Belfort
5. Sonnen
6. Nate
7. Okami
8. Okami

Fedor

1. Big Nog x2
2. CroCop
3. A.A
4. Sylvia
5. Hunt
6.Randleman
7. Herring
8. Schilt

Herring - See above ^

I‘m not trying to discredit the win. Fedor hits hard and Arlovskis chin had already been known as weak. Im more discrediting Arlovski for Jumping into a well known power strikers punch. Silva didn‘t catch Lutter with one punch, he put him in a triangle then smashed his head with elbows until Lutter submitted. Two VERY different things.

Both guys were decent wins. They were past their primes, but they're good wins nonetheless. But that leaves 5 wins to argue your point. Ill look at Silvas list.

Anderson

1. Franklin x2 - Franklin was ranked number 1 at middleweight and top 5 p4p during the first fight. He was ranked number 2 the 2nd time.
2. Henderson - Ranked the number 2 at middleweight at the time of the fight. He was top 15 (maybe 10) p4p and is arguably in the top 3 GOAT discussion.
4. Sakurai - Ridiculous to say he shouldn't be included. This was the win that established Anderson as a top prospect. Sakurai was ranked number 1 in the division and considered a top 5 p4p fighter at that time. Huge win for him.
5. Sonnen - maybe not his most impressive performance but he got the W after 4 and a half gruelling rounds. Sonnen was number 2 at the time.
6. Nate - 3 time king of pancrase champion, 4-0 in the ufc at the time of the fight and a top 5 middleweight.
7. Okami - He destroyed Okami, who was again, a top 5 middleweight at the time and 10-3 in the ufc.
8. Im not counting Okami twice so, Forrest Griffin - Say what you want about him but he was a top 5 Light Heavyweight at the time of that fight and he was a former champion at a weight class above Andersons. Anderson is the guy that made everyone forget Griffin is a top 10 Light Heavyweight.

The lists aren't even close man. I can keep talking about the guys Anderson has beaten but Ive argued this enough.

If I wasn't as lazy as I am I could do the exact same thing with Fedors list. Too say they aren't close is ludicrous.
Franklinfan47
5/22/12 9:18:52PM
Im not a fan at all, but lets be real, its Anderson.

-Fedor was p4p king before the sport was really legit.
-Bones is too young.
-GSP doesnt finish fights.
-Hendo was beaten by Anderson.
-Don King doesnt have enough white streaks in his hair (I cant remember the other fighters).
george112
5/22/12 9:41:34PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by george112

Posted by Budgellism

Anderson

1. Franklin x2
2. Henderson
3. Belfort
5. Sonnen
6. Nate
7. Okami
8. Okami

Fedor

1. Big Nog x2
2. CroCop
3. A.A
4. Sylvia
5. Hunt
6.Randleman
7. Herring
8. Schilt

Herring - See above ^

Anderson

Everyone on Fedors list was top 10 at the time of their fight.

A lot were former UFC champs.

Big nog was #1 In the world and got totally demolished by fedor. Twice.

Herring
Schilt
Randleman
Big Nog
CroCop
Hunt
A.A

All Top ten

And because AA jumped into Fedors punch it discredits it??? No. Because his jaw is weak he wasn't top ten? No.

Anderson had more losses on his record up until as recently as a year ago.

All of Fedors losses have been to top 10 comp.

It really does bother me that you don't even think they were even close.

End rant
Budgellism
5/22/12 10:34:11PM
Herring, Hunt, Schilt and Randleman were not top 10 when he fought them. And Arlovski and Sylvia were barely hanging on to top 10 when he fought them. Again, I said Im not discrediting the win on Fedors part, Im discrediting Arlovskis fight iq for jumping into his punch after he was winning the round.

Im not trying to bother you, just trying to express my point. And I feel like Ive done that.
george112
5/22/12 11:05:25PM

Posted by Budgellism

Herring, Hunt, Schilt and Randleman were not top 10 when he fought them. And Arlovski and Sylvia were barely hanging on to top 10 when he fought them. Again, I said Im not discrediting the win on Fedors part, Im discrediting Arlovskis fight iq for jumping into his punch after he was winning the round.

Im not trying to bother you, just trying to express my point. And I feel like Ive done that.

Show me the top 10 list they were not on during the time they fought.

And no at the time they were not barely hanging on to the top 10.

Sorry man gonna have to agree to disagree

Schilt when they fought ranked 10 in the world
Herring when they fought 3 in the world
Big nog when they fought first time 2 in the world
Randleman when they fought just 11 or 12 depending on who you ask
in the world
Crocop when they fought 5 when they fought
Hunt 6 in the world
AA 7 In the world
TIM 4 in the world
grappler0000
5/23/12 1:06:20AM
Interesting thoughts so far. I'm gonna have to go through them, but I think people are undervaluing Okami, Sakurai, and Herring...while overvaluing Randleman.

Also, I haven't seen this brought up, but middleweight and welterweight has and will always be a more competitive weight class than Heavyweight. I'm sure there's someone who will argue that point, but that's just the nature of things...it's a matter of numbers.
Adrenaline
5/23/12 3:19:14AM

Posted by prophecy033

Fedor was
Anderson is

Short, sweet, and true. However, if Hendo somehow manages to land his falcon punch on Jon Jones, then his loss to Silva be damned, Hendo is the GOAT.
lohmann
5/23/12 4:30:57AM

Posted by george112

Not at all. Just don't agree he was p4p thats all

March 11, 2002 Rankings

Posted by george112

Let's be honest here. Anderson Silva's wins over Sakurai and Newton are two of biggest wins of his career if framed in the perspective of when it happened. (And Matt Hughes's subsequent victory over Hayato Sakurai does not minimize that Hayato Sakurai was at the time he lost to The Spider a bona fide pound-for-pound contender.)

Unlike Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson, he has reigned over two divisions in his career.

Using lists it seems makes this debate highly divisive. One can not prop up Fedor's list without discrediting some of Silva's wins and the same it seems when done in reverse. But pound-for-pound is more than just who is the most dominant, since their divisional dominance is comparable and pretty much a wash. Skill, consistency, and defining what a mixed martial artist is is just as important.
Pookie
5/23/12 6:01:36AM

Posted by lohmann

But pound-for-pound is more than just who is the most dominant, since their divisional dominance is comparable and pretty much a wash. Skill, consistency, and defining what a mixed martial artist is is just as important.

Beautifully said.
warglory
5/23/12 7:46:06AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Shogun, for all the attention he gets, is 4-4 in the UFC. He's 2-3 in his last 5. Machida is 1-3 in his last 4 and Rampage might not even care about fighting anymore.

In a world with Perfect Judges you could argue that 4-4 record should be 5-2-1 with 1 loss attributed to staph infection and the draw attributed to a broken collarbone in training camp.

In an even more perfect world you could argue that the same Shogun who won the 2005 Middleweight Grand Prix shouldn't have even gone to decision with Henderson or Machida, but I don't think we will ever know how good Shogun could be due to the fact that his knees won't cooperate. His entire body seems to be against him.

That's very speculative. Henderson is on a tear right now, and could have very well beaten Shogun back in PRIDE, and prior to Machida losing to Shogun the second time around, he was considered unstoppable by many, and would have probably been as successful, if not more successful than Shogun in PRIDE. I think Shogun was at his best against Machida and Hendo.
warglory
5/23/12 7:57:54AM

Posted by george112

Posted by cowcatcher

As of right now I think I'd put Anderson on top, followed by Fedor, then Hendo.

I'm glad Hendo is in the discussion. Once you start going down the list of guys he's fought it's a who's who of MMA, just an incredible list of opponents and he's given each of them a fight win or lose.

Fedor was the best of his time, but everybody gets old, everybody loses in this sport, and I really hope his reputation isn't tarnished by the newer fans that never got to see how great he was in his prime. It's one thing to watch the fights on youtube, it's another to see it happen live and I think when you see it live without knowing who will win it gives you a much better perspective on the fight.

Anderson is undefeated in the UFC, and has looked dominant in every fight except for his first with Sonnen. It's probably time to give him his props, like him or not, as the best fighter ever to compete in the sport. He makes it look easy when he wins, and he has fewer "oh shit he's in trouble" moments than any other champion in the sport ever has. Truly an amazing fighter.

I would agree with you if the question was who is the best at this point in time.

Fedor is like the Michael Jordan of MMA.

Michael got old but is still the GOAT. Even with his years with the Wizards

Seriously the biggest names Anderson has beat is Franklin twice. Griffin. Belfort ( not what he use to be) . Marquardt and Henderson.

Leben is popular. Wouldnt call him a dangerous opponent.

Lutter was actually WINNING. Once again not even top 10

Okami. Just another popular.

Damien. Come on now ....

Cote. Irving.

These dudes are no where near Hendos quality or Fedors

Wow, way to discount Silva's accomplishments. I like how you cherry picked opponents too. With the exception of Lutter, who won TUF (who wasn't really "winning" as you say), all of Silva's opponents have made sense, and were viable opponents at the time, and Anderson made every single one of them look like children fighting an adult, with the exception of Sonnen, and maybe Hendo. Fedor has some great wins, but he also has tons of cans. How many cans has Anderson fought in the UFC?
george112
5/23/12 10:34:25AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

Posted by cowcatcher

As of right now I think I'd put Anderson on top, followed by Fedor, then Hendo.

I'm glad Hendo is in the discussion. Once you start going down the list of guys he's fought it's a who's who of MMA, just an incredible list of opponents and he's given each of them a fight win or lose.

Fedor was the best of his time, but everybody gets old, everybody loses in this sport, and I really hope his reputation isn't tarnished by the newer fans that never got to see how great he was in his prime. It's one thing to watch the fights on youtube, it's another to see it happen live and I think when you see it live without knowing who will win it gives you a much better perspective on the fight.

Anderson is undefeated in the UFC, and has looked dominant in every fight except for his first with Sonnen. It's probably time to give him his props, like him or not, as the best fighter ever to compete in the sport. He makes it look easy when he wins, and he has fewer "oh shit he's in trouble" moments than any other champion in the sport ever has. Truly an amazing fighter.

I would agree with you if the question was who is the best at this point in time.

Fedor is like the Michael Jordan of MMA.

Michael got old but is still the GOAT. Even with his years with the Wizards

Seriously the biggest names Anderson has beat is Franklin twice. Griffin. Belfort ( not what he use to be) . Marquardt and Henderson.

Leben is popular. Wouldnt call him a dangerous opponent.

Lutter was actually WINNING. Once again not even top 10

Okami. Just another popular.

Damien. Come on now ....

Cote. Irving.

These dudes are no where near Hendos quality or Fedors

Wow, way to discount Silva's accomplishments. I like how you cherry picked opponents too. With the exception of Lutter, who won TUF (who wasn't really "winning" as you say), all of Silva's opponents have made sense, and were viable opponents at the time, and Anderson made every single one of them look like children fighting an adult, with the exception of Sonnen, and maybe Hendo. Fedor has some great wins, but he also has tons of cans. How many cans has Anderson fought in the UFC?

Dude nobody cherry picked. Those are the biggest names he fought. Easy. And to say he wasn't winning is retarded. He up until that point was the only person on top of Anderson. Of course we all know he went for a sloppy armbar and got beat

Also we made lists from the suggestion of grappler0000 so yeah

I'm fine being the only one thinking fedor is the GOAT . In my eyes he is.

Also hayato was considered p4p why? Because he beat alot of no name jap fighters? Aoki at one point to was in the p4p talk at one point also where'd that go?

Pages: 1 [2] 3