Glover Teixeira signs with UFC, targeted for early-summer debut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Glover Teixeira signs with UFC, targeted for early-summer debut
BuffaloDave
2/21/12 7:48:10PM
Glover Teixeira (17-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has signed with the UFC.

After visa issues ultimately forced him out of the U.S. and ruined the possibility of a deal with the world's top promotion, the fast-rising light heavyweight has inked a UFC deal.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the signing with a source close to the fighter.

The 32-year-old Teixeira is expected to make his promotional debut in early summer, though a specific date and opponent have not been determined.

Teixeira, a 10-year pro, enters the UFC with a 15-fight and six-year win streak. His victories have come over the likes of Ricco Rodriguez, Marvin Eastman, Antonio Mendes, Daniel Tabera and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. Among his 17 career wins, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and grappling champion owns 11 knockouts and four submissions.

LINK
shaneTpain
2/21/12 7:49:36PM
emfleek
2/21/12 7:52:15PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!!!

BuffaloDave
2/21/12 7:55:28PM
Hendo, Machida, Rua, either one of those three would be a sick fight for his debut.
prophecy033
2/21/12 7:58:33PM
It's about damn time, seems like he's been a "prospect" forever. Can't wait to see who he gets first
Cooler
2/21/12 8:09:20PM
I'm thinkin he's gonna smash a lot of guys who dont belong in the UFC and beat a handful of good fighters, guys got real potential.
Poor_Franklin
2/21/12 8:14:05PM
i approve!
Budgellism
2/21/12 8:29:56PM
MiniMan
2/21/12 8:45:35PM
G

LOVER
prozacnation1978
2/21/12 9:56:50PM
Glad to see him finally make it to the Ufc
Give him vera
Bubbles
2/21/12 10:15:08PM
about freakin time
Kpro
2/21/12 11:27:56PM
So who do you want to see him face if he does get slotted for 6/16 in Brazil at UFC 147?

Cane, Kingsbury, Marshall, Maldonado, Catone, Nedkov, Matyushenko all might make sense. No fights scheduled for any and all but Nedkov/Catone coming off of a loss. I don't think anyone with a winning streak and/or any pull in the UFC would want to take the risk/reward of facing a "no-name" as Glover is to the casual fan.

I would think over a half dozen years (a decade?) training with Hackleman/Liddell already has him "in" with Dana and the UFC on having more input on who Joe Silva matches him up with.
hashyandy4
2/22/12 12:14:55AM
Awesome News!!
ncordless
2/22/12 12:25:18AM

Posted by Kpro

So who do you want to see him face if he does get slotted for 6/16 in Brazil at UFC 147?

Cane, Kingsbury, Marshall, Maldonado, Catone, Nedkov, Matyushenko all might make sense. No fights scheduled for any and all but Nedkov/Catone coming off of a loss. I don't think anyone with a winning streak and/or any pull in the UFC would want to take the risk/reward of facing a "no-name" as Glover is to the casual fan.

I would think over a half dozen years (a decade?) training with Hackleman/Liddell already has him "in" with Dana and the UFC on having more input on who Joe Silva matches him up with.

It might depend on who wins the Jones/Evans match. Given the way new challengers will be at a premium at LHW if Jones wins, my guess is they match him up rather tough, possibly even another young guy like Phil Davis, or either Ryan Bader or Gustaffson should they be ready by then. He could be a title challenger by his third fight if he beats the right people. On the other hand, if Rashad wins the game board gets reset for all the people Jones has destroyed so far. If that happens, he will probably get brought along a little slower and i could see him against the guys you listed.

If his first fight is in Brazil, I doubt he gets matched up with another brazilian even though Maldonado/Teixeira sounds kind of killer. They get way too much mileage out of the "us vs them" gimmick down there to do too much else on a card.
Kpro
2/22/12 12:35:28AM

Posted by ncordless

If his first fight is in Brazil, I doubt he gets matched up with another brazilian even though Maldonado/Teixeira sounds kind of killer.

Yeah Maldonado and Costa were the first two that came to my head but Costa dropped to 185 two fights ago and I'm not sure if Joe Silva is set on making the Nedkov/Maldonado fight happen. I think it's been scheduled and cancelled twice now(?). It'll be good to see Glover just get in the ring. Rampage got Eastman in his first UFC fight, so I'm expecting someone to make him look good as he gets his first fight out of the way and then leap up in competition significantly but you never know.
emfleek
2/22/12 9:12:02AM
Potential 1st fights...

Teixeira vs. Kingsbury
Teixeira vs. Soszynski
Teixeira vs. Nedkov
Teixeira vs. Vera
cowcatcher
2/22/12 9:18:02AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by ncordless

If his first fight is in Brazil, I doubt he gets matched up with another brazilian even though Maldonado/Teixeira sounds kind of killer.

Yeah Maldonado and Costa were the first two that came to my head but Costa dropped to 185 two fights ago and I'm not sure if Joe Silva is set on making the Nedkov/Maldonado fight happen. I think it's been scheduled and cancelled twice now(?). It'll be good to see Glover just get in the ring. Rampage got Eastman in his first UFC fight, so I'm expecting someone to make him look good as he gets his first fight out of the way and then leap up in competition significantly but you never know.

I don't think he's going to get tossed into the deep end either. Glover has been on a lot of fans' radar for a long time, but it's not like he has a ton of big wins on his record. Eastman, Pe De Pano, Ricco, etc. are known commodities, but by no means world beaters. I want to see how good Glover really is, but I don't need to see him thrown to the wolves right off the bat.
Kpro
2/22/12 9:51:26PM
Teixeira/Kingsbury - UFC 146

About as expected aside from I thought they'd put him on 147 in Brazil.
Bubbles
2/22/12 10:11:43PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by ncordless

Eliot Marshall makes everyone look good
Kpro
2/22/12 10:27:49PM

Posted by Bubbles

Eliot Marshall makes everyone look good

Except Brandon Vera who eeked out a way closer than it should've been decision. Can he cut to 185? He's only won 4 of his last 10 fights and has only finished one opponent in the last 5 years..... Mike Patt.

Can Vera cut to 185?