glove stink?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » glove stink?
papercut
10/17/08 5:33:25PM
not sure if this is the right forum but, my MMA gloves didn't come with washing instructions and since they're leather I'm hesitant to machine wash them. so, what can I do? I use frebreze to try to mask the stink but it doesn't really help. any suggestions? I'm not the only one at my gym having this problem. any suggestions will benefit myself and most of my training partners.
Jackelope
10/17/08 5:42:47PM
I handwash all of my training gear. I just get a bucket full of soap and water then scrub away with a brush. When I'm done with that I'll hang them outside to let them air dry.

postman
10/17/08 7:03:28PM
Do you just trow your gloves in your gym bag and forget about them till the next time you train? If you do I would suggest finding a place to put then where you can open them open and air dry.
papercut
10/17/08 9:11:05PM

Posted by postman

Do you just trow your gloves in your gym bag and forget about them till the next time you train? If you do I would suggest finding a place to put then where you can open them open and air dry.

I air dry them after every workout. they don't stink as bad as they would if I did leave them in my bag. but not fresh.
Svartorm
10/17/08 10:55:12PM
Really, theres no "perfect" way to do it. I just wipe mine down with a wet cloth and make sure they're dry before I put them away. Also, like mentioned, I don't store them with my dirty clothes or they'll stink forever. I tend to go through two pairs of training gloves a year, so they never stay intact long enough to get too smelly.
The-Don
10/19/08 1:12:19PM
also I suggest using something that actually kills the bacteria.. not all soaps do... that is where alot of the stink comes from. and get multiple pairs of gloves and switch them out after each sessions espically if you train daily.. having 2-3 pairs of gloves you switch each day and that gives your gloves time enough to dry completely
george112
10/20/08 5:26:24PM

Posted by The-Don

also I suggest using something that actually kills the bacteria.. not all soaps do... that is where alot of the stink comes from. and get multiple pairs of gloves and switch them out after each sessions espically if you train daily.. having 2-3 pairs of gloves you switch each day and that gives your gloves time enough to dry completely

Salty
10/24/08 2:12:07PM
we use the same stuff we clean the mats with, i think its called strike three? or something like that...spray them down and wash them off
higdon10
10/30/08 12:09:28AM
I use strike three. Its used in gyms to clean mats. Works pretty well.