glass jaws?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » glass jaws?
kingkicker
8/9/09 12:45:29PM
I can't help stop thinking that fighters that are in MMA for a few years and are standup fighters seem to get rocked easy, could it be from training and getting hit in the head to much. There is only a few that dont , what do you think?
nickcuc547
8/9/09 2:04:41PM
You may be on to something here, we are seeing a lot of once fearsome strikers and ultimate tough guys (Wandy, Chuck, Nog) show some chinks in their armor.
slapshot
8/9/09 2:09:26PM
I think, its not boxing with big 10 ounce gloves. I know we all want real fights to be like a video game but they just aren't, there are two ways to be KO'd one is to pinch a nerve and the other is a concussion both are much less difficult to do with MMA gloves.

If your really interested go spar with some one and use boxing gloves and then go spar with MMA gloves I think you'll be surprised at the difference.
DosBox
8/9/09 2:42:54PM
I think that during one's long career in combat sports, there will be a transition in your career that many will consider you "battle tested". However, such accumulation of damage and wear and tear throughout your career (much like a Wanderlei Silva, or Chuck LIddell), you start getting a little older, not as vibrant in your training, etc... that such accumulation of constant wear and tear in your body could turn oneself into being "battle worn".

prozacnation1978
8/9/09 8:03:34PM
after awhile i guess your hard spots go soft
thunderstruck
8/10/09 12:13:26AM
theres only so many times you can get shut off from brutal strikes to the head . although these guys are fighters fighters , there human . once these things become a common occurence , its time to hang em up . hockey players /football/boxing ...no matter what the sport , two many blown fuses will eventually lead to a sub standard quality of life and as much as i hate to say it , id rather see a fighter retire and enjoy his family and fourtune after awhile then stay too long and live to regret one too many wars they shouldnt have fought . liddel / wand are definitely two that come to mind .
telnights
8/10/09 12:41:52AM
I don't think anyone has a glass jaw that could make it to this level. There is a big difference from boxing gloves to MMA gloves. Its a lot easier to KO someone with MMA gloves on. Anyone can be knocked out if hit in the right spot or hard enough and MMA gloves makes it even easier.
Pookie
8/10/09 3:07:53AM

Posted by telnights

I don't think anyone has a glass jaw that could make it to this level. There is a big difference from boxing gloves to MMA gloves. Its a lot easier to KO someone with MMA gloves on. Anyone can be knocked out if hit in the right spot or hard enough and MMA gloves makes it even easier.

Well... Jonathon Goulet, but i think that would be an exception to the rule.
telnights
8/10/09 3:16:16AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by telnights

Well... Jonathon Goulet, but i think that would be an exception to the rule.

yeah but that's because Goulet over extends himself a lot. Kind of like Kimbo does. He is the one that causes the punch to have more force behind it by leading head forward and charging in.
slapshot
8/10/09 3:19:56AM

Posted by thunderstruck

theres only so many times you can get shut off from brutal strikes to the head . although these guys are fighters fighters , there human . once these things become a common occurence , its time to hang em up . hockey players /football/boxing ...no matter what the sport , two many blown fuses will eventually lead to a sub standard quality of life and as much as i hate to say it , id rather see a fighter retire and enjoy his family and fourtune after awhile then stay too long and live to regret one too many wars they shouldnt have fought . liddel / wand are definitely two that come to mind .

Actually its more specific, they have found nothing to support the idea that unconsciousness due to pinching a nerve in your jaw has any lasting effect on the Brain or nervous system.

Its concussions that end careers in sports and every concussion you have makes you more susceptible to another one the next time you have a head impact. Basically it can be a kaleidoscope downward.

thunderstruck
8/10/09 1:46:35PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by thunderstruck

Actually its more specific, they have found nothing to support the idea that unconsciousness due to pinching a nerve in your jaw has any lasting effect on the Brain or nervous system.

Its concussions that end careers in sports and every concussion you have makes you more susceptible to another one the next time you have a head impact. Basically it can be a kaleidoscope downward.

[/QUOTE

correct me if im wrong , cause i am no expert and dont claim to be , but when a fighter gets hit hard in the head and is koed because of it isnt that in fact a type of concussion (ie the brain hitting the skull hard and shutting off ? ) maybe this is just a misconception on my part , but thats what i thought a knock out was ? if my theory is correct , then there definitely could be bad after effects later down the road i would think . again though , im no doctor / expert , so if this is misinfo on my part could someone please correct me here ?]
mrsmiley
8/10/09 2:22:12PM

Posted by kingkicker

I can't help stop thinking that fighters that are in MMA for a few years and are standup fighters seem to get rocked easy, could it be from training and getting hit in the head to much. There is only a few that dont , what do you think?

I think it's hard to say with 100% certainty.

It's just like pain. Some people seem to be able to take more than others.