Did Gina really make weight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Did Gina really make weight?
grappler0000
10/4/08 1:25:52AM
So, I just watched the video of her weigh-in and am dumbfounded. When I read the weigh-in results, it said that it took her 3 attempts to make the weight...I assumed she went back and cut some weight, but apparently the pounds magically melted away. Am I missing something? She weighed in at 142.75 on her first attempt. She stripped down and dropped 1/4 pound. They weighed her a third time without any changes and she somehow dropped another 1.5 pounds? First of all, I don't see how she went from 142.5 down to 141 without doing a thing. Second of all, there's no way her undergarments weighed almost two pounds. She only had a sports bra and small skirt on...it would be a stretch to even think she could get a pound from them.

I know there are techniques for trying to beat a scale, but even a good tilt/lean won't give you a half pound...so 1.5 is definitely out of the question.

If I missed something, someone please enlighten me.
jiujitsufreak74
10/4/08 1:27:32AM
it's called Elite XC needs her to be credible. they can stop fights early and magically alter weights...it's what they do
grappler0000
10/4/08 1:32:18AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

it's called Elite XC needs her to be credible. they can stop fights early and magically alter weights...it's what they do

No, I get that...I don't trust Lil Shaw with anything, but wouldn't this mean that the athletic commission would have to be involved as well?
bullettdodger
10/4/08 1:47:27AM
I'm still dumbfounded that they made this weight class for her... and she can't make it... why not just make it something that she could be able to hit, instead of something that she should be able to make but can't. Whatever Elite XC
Twenty20Dollars
10/4/08 2:04:58AM
could have been a heavy skirt, but why wear a heavy skirt to weigh in on, why not wear those small fight shorts.
MMAcca
10/4/08 2:50:30AM
The whole situation stinks of BS to me, but that's becoming a regular occurance with EliteXC nowadays.

No wonder they're on their way out......

It would be nice to see Gina fight in the AFL though, where she will have to make weight and fight the best, then we can see how serious she takes our beloved sport.
bojangalz
10/4/08 5:45:06AM
I can't stand Carano and the weight problems...But if we continue to get footage like what we saw at today's weigh-in fiasco, I'm all about that 140 lbs division!
Aaronno9
10/4/08 6:20:29AM
Gina and Kimbo will never miss weight or be on the bad end of any kind of stoppage, decision while they fight in the ufc. Its a joke.
Matimus
10/4/08 6:47:40AM
what you didnt see at the weigh ins- Gina taking a 2 pound $hit in a sweat bucket behind the towel
disorderlyvision
10/4/08 10:55:23AM

Posted by grappler0000

So, I just watched the video of her weigh-in and am dumbfounded. When I read the weigh-in results, it said that it took her 3 attempts to make the weight...I assumed she went back and cut some weight, but apparently the pounds magically melted away. Am I missing something? She weighed in at 142.75 on her first attempt. She stripped down and dropped 1/4 pound. They weighed her a third time without any changes and she somehow dropped another 1.5 pounds? First of all, I don't see how she went from 142.5 down to 141 without doing a thing. Second of all, there's no way her undergarments weighed almost two pounds. She only had a sports bra and small skirt on...it would be a stretch to even think she could get a pound from them.

I know there are techniques for trying to beat a scale, but even a good tilt/lean won't give you a half pound...so 1.5 is definitely out of the question.

If I missed something, someone please enlighten me.

i just watched it a bit ago and i was thinking the exact same thing. seems fishy
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/4/08 11:09:09AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Gina and Kimbo will never miss weight or be on the bad end of any kind of stoppage, decision while they fight in the ufc. Its a joke.

You are 100% right sir
jae_1833
10/4/08 12:59:24PM
Except they are not in the UFC!!!!!!!
disorderlyvision
10/4/08 2:42:03PM

Posted by jae_1833

Except they are not in the UFC!!!!!!!

and gina didnt make weight her last fight and it cost her some of her fight purse. guess that kinda goes against that theory too.
Biggz
10/4/08 2:43:03PM
i agree that its fishy but honestly who really cares!? call me sexest or whatever but i could care less about women in mma. Gina is very good looking but i just don't care to watch chicks in mma. its like the NBA and the WNBA its just not the same they are not as good and not as fun to watch. i do however respect what Gina and other women fighters do, their dedication, and hard work, so dont' get me wrong about that. i just think if a woman wants to be involved in mma they can hold the round signs
dannyfrank
10/4/08 4:08:06PM

Posted by Biggz

i agree that its fishy but honestly who really cares!? call me sexest or whatever but i could care less about women in mma. Gina is very good looking but i just don't care to watch chicks in mma. its like the NBA and the WNBA its just not the same they are not as good and not as fun to watch. i do however respect what Gina and other women fighters do, their dedication, and hard work, so dont' get me wrong about that. i just think if a woman wants to be involved in mma they can hold the round signs

you're sexist or whatever!

in all honesty, i do think that women have a place in mma. mma is one of the few sports that i can actually stand to watch women in, because a lot of them fight just as aggressive, if not more aggressive than men
JimiMak
10/4/08 4:53:34PM

Posted by Aaronno9

hmmm... let's see: they don't fight in UFC, Gina's already missed weight for EXC, how could Kimbo miss HW?, weights and dec's are SAC factors.....
Pookie
10/5/08 3:09:48AM
I thought i heard someone say she dropped a towel to make those last pounds... the thing is though, she wasnt wearing a towel. They were holdin up the towels for her.

JasonSmolinski
10/5/08 9:59:45AM

Posted by Pookie

I thought i heard someone say she dropped a towel to make those last pounds... the thing is though, she wasnt wearing a towel. They were holdin up the towels for her.

I'd say that more likely, the dropping of the towel is what gave her the 141. Not for sexual reasons, but everyone standing around was acting embarassed (not the crowd though) and then when she accidently bumped one her towels down, suddenly someone yells out that she made weight, so they can pounce on her and cover her up again. It was turning into such a lame spectacle that eventually someone gave in and yelled "good enough!" because they felt sorry for her. It seemed like a knee-jerk reaction if I ever saw one. She didn't lose that much weight by shedding her clothes. Period.

I know my underwear doesn't weigh 2lbs, even after they haven't been washed in a month.
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 1:07:27PM
well from wrestling i know that the most my underwear has ever weighed was .4, and that was because i had just ran to lose weight and they were sweat soaked. Jason may be on to something with the knee jerk reaction and i think that is the most probably answer, but either way this whole situation is disgusting to me. this should be investigated because i won' stand for this. luckily Gina said she won't try and fight at this weight class, so hopefully you won't have to read my rants about her anymore
scoozna
10/9/08 11:17:30AM
Colonic anyone?

The thought occurs to me that maybe what was recorded with the AC was her actual weight (supposing she did not make weight), but what EliteXC announced to everyone was the made up number. They can lie to us all they want, they can fail to mention a "catch weight" fight or whatever, fail to mention and purse penalties for not making weight, but as long as what gets recorded with the athletic commission is accurate they won't get in trouble. It's only a theory about what they might try to do for an fight that held such importance to their existence.

Naturaldisaster
10/9/08 3:29:25PM
she weighed in 3 times. the 3rd was when she stripped down and actually made weight. they just made the video look like 1 video, instead of 3 different videos put together.
Wolfenstein
10/9/08 4:51:17PM
Probably put some puppeteer strings under her ars and lifted her up a bit