Gina Carano is a Great Fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gina Carano is a Great Fighter
MMAcca
10/5/08 5:36:21AM
Gina Carano is one of the most criticized fighters among hardcore fans, and while there is no excuse for all the problems making weight, it's unfair to focus on that at the expense of her performances.

Tonight the difference between Gina Carano and Kimbo Slice was truly on display. Both were chosen as the faces of EliteXC, and both were given a lot of hype, but only one was able to deliver. Gina displayed much-improved takedown defense and excellent muay thai on her way to victory tonight over a much more experienced opponent in Kelly Kobald.

It seems like hardcore fans are always quick to dismiss her exciting and impressive performances in order to talk about her weight issues. Just 4 months ago almost everyone turned against Gina and predicted that Kaitlyn Young would destroy her, but it was Gina that picked Kaitlyn apart with ease. Then everyone that picked against her decided to just rip her for the weight issues after the fight.

If EliteXC survives long enough to put on Carano vs. Cyborg, I suspect we'll see a number of people predicting impending doom for the "overrated" Gina Carano. And then, if she beats Cyborg, people will just ignore the accomplishment. Hopefully they just fight at 145 so we can focus on the fight and not the weight.

LINK
Pookie
10/5/08 5:43:34AM
Really? Everyone picked Kaitlin Young to beat Carano! Really?!

Shenanigans

Terrible writer.
hodge
10/5/08 9:05:20AM
I think that most people accept Gina as a great fighter this writer is just an arse
Ben_Hutch
10/5/08 9:39:40AM
Gina's a great fighter...........when she weighs more than her opponents.
Solidus
10/5/08 10:08:17AM
After watching her fight last night Im now thinking she'll have a good chance vs Cyborg. Kobald had nothing for her and Gina would have been ready to go another round. She made weight and looked damn impressive, let the weight issue go.
Ben_Hutch
10/5/08 10:24:35AM

Posted by Solidus

After watching her fight last night Im now thinking she'll have a good chance vs Cyborg. Kobald had nothing for her and Gina would have been ready to go another round. She made weight and looked damn impressive, let the weight issue go.

But she didn't make weight.
loffspring
10/5/08 10:33:46AM
Ya she did, she had to strip down but she did.
Ben_Hutch
10/5/08 10:36:36AM

Posted by loffspring

Ya she did, she had to strip down but she did.

A post made by 'grappler0000' that I agree with:

"So, I just watched the video of her weigh-in and am dumbfounded. When I read the weigh-in results, it said that it took her 3 attempts to make the weight...I assumed she went back and cut some weight, but apparently the pounds magically melted away. Am I missing something? She weighed in at 142.75 on her first attempt. She stripped down and dropped 1/4 pound. They weighed her a third time without any changes and she somehow dropped another 1.5 pounds? First of all, I don't see how she went from 142.5 down to 141 without doing a thing. Second of all, there's no way her undergarments weighed almost two pounds. She only had a sports bra and small skirt on...it would be a stretch to even think she could get a pound from them.

I know there are techniques for trying to beat a scale, but even a good tilt/lean won't give you a half pound...so 1.5 is definitely out of the question.

If I missed something, someone please enlighten me."
gartface
10/5/08 11:23:24AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

Is that avatar of Thiago Alves?
Ben_Hutch
10/5/08 11:40:22AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

Tell me where I said Thiago Alves made weight???
gartface
10/5/08 11:41:04AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

Haha don't take it personal, I didn't say he did make weight, I just thought it was funny man.
MMAcca
10/5/08 11:53:45AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

Haha don't take it personal, I didn't say he did make weight, I just thought it was funny man.

Ironic even.
jgtribbett
10/5/08 12:04:35PM
i think that she has her head in too many other things to reach the potential that she has.. love watching her fight though
bullettdodger
10/5/08 12:22:51PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

The fact of the matter is just because Grappler said his opinion, doesn't make it fact. You are stating it as fact. It could very well be true.. personally i agree. But again that is an opinion... try not to state it as fact
PaleHorse
10/5/08 12:33:05PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

The fact of the matter is just because Grappler said his opinion, doesn't make it fact. You are stating it as fact. It could very well be true.. personally i agree. But again that is an opinion... try not to state it as fact

She's definately the prettiest person not to mess with, women's MMA is still coming up so she could just be like a Royce Gracie to dominate the beginning and fall off the map later, as for the weight thing, who cares? If you can make weight after three tries and still win your fight thats impressive, it takes a ton out of you not to make weight (ex. Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin, you could tell Lutter was just dead from all that sauna time) and then have to go back in and back in, and then still win the fight, I can't hate on that. She may wanna consider moving up a weight class, but hey so should Thiago Alves, Travis Lutter, Robbie Lawler is one of the first people to catch on, I think its going to help Rich Franklin bigtime not having to cut weight, and usually the competition is better, because from what I saw if Kobold is such a game contender in the eyes of Carano, they need some better female wrestlers in there.
Jipper
10/5/08 12:47:39PM
Tara LaRosa would make her cry.
dannyfrank
10/5/08 12:59:39PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by gartface

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Solidus

She's definately the prettiest person not to mess with, women's MMA is still coming up so she could just be like a Royce Gracie to dominate the beginning and fall off the map later, as for the weight thing, who cares? If you can make weight after three tries and still win your fight thats impressive, it takes a ton out of you not to make weight (ex. Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin, you could tell Lutter was just dead from all that sauna time) and then have to go back in and back in, and then still win the fight, I can't hate on that. She may wanna consider moving up a weight class, but hey so should Thiago Alves, Travis Lutter, Robbie Lawler is one of the first people to catch on, I think its going to help Rich Franklin bigtime not having to cut weight, and usually the competition is better, because from what I saw if Kobold is such a game contender in the eyes of Carano, they need some better female wrestlers in there.

i don't mean to bust your balls, but she didn't do any weight cutting after she got weighed, all she did was strip down and magically lost 1.5 lbs
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 1:19:03PM
Regardless of all the crap surrounding Gina's fights, which is par for any fighter that is popular, she keeps them exciting. Haven't seen her in a dull one. She gets props for that alone.
jocka
10/5/08 1:37:43PM
I like to see her fight she is very intertaining. Is it judt me or did she look huge compared to the other girl yesterday?
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 1:40:58PM

Posted by jocka

I like to see her fight she is very intertaining. Is it judt me or did she look huge compared to the other girl yesterday?

that's what happens when you don't make weight...
Aether
10/5/08 5:34:42PM
This article reads like a random post on a forum board, not a professional sports writer's work.
slapshot
10/5/08 6:17:10PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by jocka

More like thats what happends when your 5'8 and your opponent is 5'5

ANYWAY, for all you blowhards who kick and scream over her weight she did say that this was it and that she's moving up a weight class.

It would not be that big of a deal but some people are so ignorant they fail to realize that at 5'8 and 150lbs thats around 13% body fat, very lean for a woman but a guess if your a complete moron thats fat..

So now she will always make weight and with any luck the crying will stop and to be completely honest there aren't enough female fighters to even have weight class's yet so all the fuss is just something to complain about and its not practical at all.
Ben_Hutch
10/5/08 6:32:07PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by jocka

ANYWAY, for all you blowhards who kick and scream over her weight she did say that this was it and that she's moving up a weight class.

It would not be that big of a deal but some people are so ignorant they fail to realize that at 5'8 and 150lbs thats around 13% body fat, very lean for a woman but a guess if your a complete moron thats fat..

No need to get personal, you're weird.
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 8:24:37PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by jocka

So now she will always make weight and with any luck the crying will stop and to be completely honest there aren't enough female fighters to even have weight class's yet so all the fuss is just something to complain about and its not practical at all.

she's a professional fighter, she should make weight. idc if she is lean for a woman, she has weight cut problems and it rubs me the wrong way. that's like if you were employee of the month every month and you showed up late everyday, your co-workers would be pissed.
Pookie
10/6/08 1:11:01AM

Posted by slapshot

Then she shouldnt be fighting at that weight. Period.
MMAcca
10/6/08 1:17:03AM

Posted by slapshot

It would not be that big of a deal but some people are so ignorant they fail to realize that at 5'8 and 150lbs thats around 13% body fat, very lean for a woman but a guess if your a complete moron thats fat.

Totally missing the point.

EliteXC made her current weightclass for her!!!

slapshot
10/7/08 1:57:20AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by slapshot

It would not be that big of a deal but some people are so ignorant they fail to realize that at 5'8 and 150lbs thats around 13% body fat, very lean for a woman but a guess if your a complete moron thats fat.

Totally missing the point.

EliteXC made her current weightclass for her!!!

I think the point really is that at this time there really are not enough female fighters to make separate weight classes so all this "making weight" is a formality. Truth is with most of these fights they need to just fight at a catch weight till we get more female fighters.

I have no faith in EliteXC's ability to make sound choices and making a weight class for a fighter, that the fighter cant cut down to shows just how stupid they are. I mean you would think they would make sure she can cut to that weight comfortably if they made it "just for her", and they should know females cant cut weight as easy as men.

I really think it would be best for her to just jump up a weight class and like I said fight at a catch weight.