Gina Carano...the "face of women's MMA'?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Gina Carano...the "face of women's MMA'?
jiujitsufreak74
5/30/08 4:30:53PM
O.K., so i was picking fights for this upcoming Eltie XC and while i was picking the Carano fight something dawned upon me. What has this woman done in MMA? 5 wins over par competition? what has she accomplished in the sport itself. i know she is popular because she is attractive, but popularity based on that factor will never let women's MMA develop. it is shameful that we flock around this woman like she is some MMA goddess when she only has 5 fricking fights. is she really a top fighter? or is she only popular because she has racked up a win streak and looking beautiful while doing so? i bet if i mentioned the names Yuka Tsuji (19-1) or Tara Larosa (15-1) pretty much no one would no who they are. i just don't understand the hype around Carano. i don't think she deserves half of the credit she gets and it saddens me to see her hog up all the attention when i feel she isn't even in the top 5 imo. i just find it a bit shameful that we shower her with attention and call her one of the sport's greats based solely on her appearance; doing so sets women's sports a few years back tbh.

and i don't think this is fighter bashing but rather questioning the nuthuggery (or whatever it is for women) going on for i feel it is undeserved. i mean the woman can't even make weight for her own special weight class for crying out loud.
holt8081
5/30/08 4:42:10PM
uuuuuu you said shower her huhuhuh
EON
5/30/08 4:59:51PM
shes hot, but not the hottest fighter girl, besides i think there are better female fighters out there, for example

Megumi Fuji (15-0)
Yuka Tsuji (19-1)
Satoko Shinashi (28-2-2)
jiujitsufreak74
5/30/08 5:12:15PM

Posted by EON

shes hot, but not the hottest fighter girl, besides i think there are better female fighters out there, for example

Megumi Fuji (15-0)
Yuka Tsuji (19-1)
Satoko Shinashi (28-2-2)

that is exactly my point. i used Fuji in my examples btw.
holt8081
5/30/08 5:27:18PM
take a look at Tara Larosa (15-1)
Jennifer Howe (13-2)
Roxanne Modafferi ( 12-4)
Gina is a good fighter she just does not have all the experiance and she is part of Extreme Couture so I dont see her slowing down any time soon but until we see her fight some of the girls we have mentioned above we will never know just how good she really is.
EON
5/30/08 6:22:18PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by EON

Megumi Fuji (15-0)
Yuka Tsuji (19-1)
Satoko Shinashi (28-2-2)

You used Tsuji not Fuji dawg (i wasnt tryin to diss your thread)
IriShame
5/30/08 7:42:08PM
She was a Muay Thai fighter forever before she started in MMA so it's not like she' s a complete rookie. Chill, she's doing what she's supposed to do by beating who they put in front of her. She can't help that she's smokin ass hot.
bigbubbano23
5/30/08 8:21:50PM
make her fight kara gracie. oooo i'll def dvr that fight.
holt8081
5/30/08 10:20:56PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

Let me guess a Bra and Pantys match
cmill21
5/30/08 10:45:10PM

Posted by holt8081

Posted by bigbubbano23

or a honey wrestling match lol.
holt8081
5/30/08 10:54:24PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by holt8081

Posted by bigbubbano23

Im with you brotha
jiujitsufreak74
5/30/08 11:32:34PM

Posted by EON

Posted by EON

Megumi Fuji (15-0)
Yuka Tsuji (19-1)
Satoko Shinashi (28-2-2)

You used Tsuji not Fuji dawg (i wasnt tryin to diss your thread)

my bad. i never thought you were trying to dis my thread, i was just agreeing with you

Posted by IriShame

She was a Muay Thai fighter forever before she started in MMA so it's not like she' s a complete rookie. Chill, she's doing what she's supposed to do by beating who they put in front of her. She can't help that she's smokin ass hot.

i am not blaming her as much as i am blaming the MMA community. i just think she is way too over hyped. Kimbo is doing everything he needs to be doing too, doesn't make him deserve all the hype. i'm just saying there is really no basis for us to hold her in such high regard because she hasn't earned it yet imo. i just feel she is only popular because she is good looking and not because she has accomplished a lot...just in the way that Kimbo is popular for internet fights, not what he has accomplished in MMA.

Posted by holt8081

Posted by cmill21

Posted by holt8081

Posted by bigbubbano23

Im with you brotha

this is what i am talking about...i know you guys are just having fun and i am not throwing you under the bus or anything but this just illustrates my point.
JimiMak
5/31/08 12:40:44PM
She's a poster girl and a face. SO what? Why do you care? Ken Shamrock would up being the face for UFC even tho he didn't even make the finals. It's salesmanship. You sell what ppl are buying not what you're trying to sell them.
Pookie
5/31/08 1:19:59PM

and i don't think this is fighter bashing but rather questioning the nuthuggery (or whatever it is for women)

Snatch-Hovererer has a good ring to it.
jiujitsufreak74
5/31/08 1:24:39PM

Posted by JimiMak

She's a poster girl and a face. SO what? Why do you care? Ken Shamrock would up being the face for UFC even tho he didn't even make the finals. It's salesmanship. You sell what ppl are buying not what you're trying to sell them.

yes, but her poster girl status has led even knowledgeable MMA fans to correlate that with her MMA ability. people rank her a top woman MMA fighter over other woman athletes that are better and have accomplished more in the sport. if ken shamrock was undeservedly ranked in the top 5 or 10 that would have been a problem, however, we all knew he wasn't. Kimbo is just as big of a poster-athlete as Gina and we don't rank him as a top MMArtist. so what i am saying is that everyone seems to be blindly accepting the hype...even minds that know better. it is just frustrating to see so i ranted about it.
JimiMak
5/31/08 2:40:55PM
I hear ya. But her getting the women exposure may do more for the long term health of women's mma than anything those other girls has done. It isn't right, but I think any exposure is good (other than her not making weight). I know a lot of mma fans that don't even want women's matches at all.
Aaronno9
5/31/08 2:54:15PM
Meh, who cares - shes hot.

lol
JimiMak
5/31/08 3:04:23PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Meh, who cares - shes hot.

lol

That's really all you had to contribute?
npayant
6/1/08 5:23:04PM
Now she's the "pioneer for Women's MMA..." according to last night's announcer.

cmill21
6/1/08 6:36:29PM

Posted by JimiMak

yes, but her poster girl status has led even knowledgeable MMA fans to correlate that with her MMA ability. people rank her a top woman MMA fighter over other woman athletes that are better and have accomplished more in the sport. if ken shamrock was undeservedly ranked in the top 5 or 10 that would have been a problem, however, we all knew he wasn't. Kimbo is just as big of a poster-athlete as Gina and we don't rank him as a top MMArtist. so what i am saying is that everyone seems to be blindly accepting the hype...even minds that know better. it is just frustrating to see so i ranted about it.

She's a good looking girl, which brings a lot of MMA fans(mostly men) to the couch to watch her. I know what you mean, and yes she does need work on her all around game but her muay thai is acctually very good.
holt8081
6/1/08 9:05:13PM
wel really she is a great fighter and this past fight should show you some of that, I did however notice that she needs to work on her cardio, she was close to gasing out....................................................And shes HOT