Gilbert Yvel Signs with DREAM

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gilbert Yvel Signs with DREAM
MMAcca
8/4/08 3:37:14PM
Dutch MMA media is reporting that PRIDE veteran Gilbert “The Hurricane” Yvel (33-12-1) has signed with DREAM. The Amsterdam native has supposedly agreed to a three fight contract, which will most likely see him take on former Golden Glory team-mate Alistair Overeem (28-11-0) in the near future.

In Japan, the Dutch bad boy is regarded as an instant ratings booster, for both his explosive style, and bad behaviour within the ring. Yvel has been disqualified three times in the past, the first instant being due to a bite, the second an eye gouge, and the third to attacking and knocking out a referee.

Regardless, the heavyweight holds an 88% KO/TKO ratio and is regarded as one of the top strikers in MMA. Among strikers he has defeated are Cheick Kongo (11-4-1) and current K-1 world champion Semmy Schilt (25-14-1).

Yvel’s last outing was earlier this year, where he defeated Michael Kita (3-1-0) under the Dutch GFN banner.

LINK
ncordless
8/4/08 3:39:21PM
This is a good pick up for DREAM, even if Gilbert shouldn't be allowed to compete anymore after his antics in the past.
cmill21
8/4/08 3:40:46PM
Good signing, I would like to see him smash Overeem. Dreams now looking to boost ratings, FEG needs to make this one work.
MMAcca
8/4/08 4:14:56PM

Posted by ncordless

This is a good pick up for DREAM, even if Gilbert shouldn't be allowed to compete anymore after his antics in the past.

I don't know much about this guy, can you elaborate ?
loller90278
8/4/08 4:40:00PM
he's a very good striker, and matches up with overeem pretty well. i think he's from golden gloves in holland, and is known to have a bad temper. he's knocked out gary goodridge via one of the most impressive headkicks ive ever seen. he'll put on some exciting fights
Beardotheweirdo
8/4/08 5:13:19PM
Awesome.

I've been waiting for Yvel vs Overeem for a long time now. Can Dream actually make the fight happen though? I don't think Yvel wants it anymore.

So Dream HW division is now

Overeem
Mirko
Yvel
Hunt
LeBanner
Kharitonov
Fedor (on NYE).

Nice. They need to get Einemo in there also.

Edit: If they could coax Cikatic out of retirement, a fight between him and Yvel would be one for the ages.
NeaRMisS
8/4/08 6:30:07PM
never mind
mrsmiley
8/4/08 7:58:10PM
Some of the best news I've herd all day.I was recently looking around to see if he had an official website.His standup is very,very,dangerous.

Melvin Manhoef VS Gilbert Yvel.

Nuff said!
juanez13
8/4/08 9:56:41PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by ncordless

Very good striker, very aggressive, but he has a very bad temper once he is inside the ring, and once he gets to that point any common sense he had in the past is gone. He has done from KO'ing a referee, , biting,to eye gouging (to don frye)
MMAcca
8/5/08 1:35:44AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by ncordless

Very good striker, very aggressive, but he has a very bad temper once he is inside the ring, and once he gets to that point any common sense he had in the past is gone. He has done from KO'ing a referee, , biting,to eye gouging (to don frye)

He KO'd a ref!?
jiujitsufreak74
8/5/08 1:55:11AM

Posted by MMAcca

He KO'd a ref!?

yes sir, he is by far the most notorious in-ring trouble maker. he has been DQed 3 times for biting, eye gouging Don Frye and KOing a ref (as mentioned above)

here is the fight where he KOs the ref: LINK
mrsmiley
8/5/08 5:30:29AM
The fight with Frye was BS,but i'm interested to see what fights he gets in DREAM.They should be great.
juanez13
8/5/08 1:23:36PM
Here is a good HL of him Highliht rell

And here is the video where he KO's the ref
Ko's Referee