Gilbert Melendez Says He has Done More Than Ben Henderson to Earn Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gilbert Melendez Says He has Done More Than Ben Henderson to Earn Title Shot
Budgellism
12/19/11 6:08:17PM
"I don't feel like I shouldn't be in this position, I'm not crying about my position but I think I've done more than Ben Henderson," told Fighting Famous TV. "You know, these guys were on The Ultimate Fighter - I was already fighting in PRIDE and ranked top three in the world but some people just don't understand that.

"I'm not trying to be a cry baby again, but I just know my history and I've been there. I've already hit these bumps in the road and come back. Some of these guys haven't hit that bump in the road where they have to reinvent themselves and I've already hit that and they're still going to hit that."

- Gilbert Melendez

LINK
DrivenDavies15
12/19/11 6:25:41PM
Gil has proved himself worthy of getting a title shot in the UFC, but Ben has done more in my mind. He upset the #1 contenders Miller and Guida in dominating fashion and is undefeated in the UFC. Although Melendez has been a dominate champion in Strikeforce and avenged both his career loses, being in the UFC is a whole 'nother level. If he comes in and can beat someone like Cerrone should he beat Diaz than he deffs deserves the shot but Bendo has done more in the UFC and deserves that shot more than Melendez right now.when they talked about Gil is staying in strikeforce for a while, and how Kenflo or Sherk could move down to face him that would be good for Gil, to get a taste of some the UFC's best before moving over. Although it would be tough for Kenflo and Sherk to decide what to do with their careers should they lose
KaibaThedon
12/19/11 6:37:16PM
i think beating jim miller and guida is more than enough to earn a UFC title shot

Melendez is smoking crack with this statement
SmileR
12/19/11 6:40:38PM
I'm kinda on the fence about it. On one side I can see why he wants to face Edgar an test himself against the best in the world, hes also beat pretty much everyone Strikeforce have thrown at him and if I'm honest there isn't much left for him to do there.
But on the other he's signed a contract and should honour it, also the level of competition Henderson has faced in the last year dwarfs almost all of competition Melendez has ever faced and he has better hair.

Ben has fought an beaten 3 top ten guys in the last 2 years, he also was in a seriously close fight with Pettis who is a top 10 fighter an if it wasn't for that kick could have won and also beat a tough guy in Bocek. Not to mention he has much better hair.

Melendez in the last 2 years has fought 1 top 10 ranked guy in Aoki as well as beating tough guys like Kawajiri and Ishida but neither of those guys are top 10. They were the best Stirkeforce could come up with but Hendeson has defiantly faced the tougher competition an in my opinion done more to deserve the title shot. Also I feel he hasn't committed to the curly hair lifestyle as much as Ben has which in my book just doesn't fly.
shaneTpain
12/19/11 6:45:14PM
Melendez < Bendo
prozacnation1978
12/19/11 7:05:23PM
I say just have the two of them slug it out!!
FastKnockout
12/19/11 7:09:35PM
I'll never be a fan of handing out title shots to fighters who haven't fought in the UFC. AT LEAST have one fight inside the octagon against a top ranked opponent.

Let's look at Shields and Diaz, who had to fight at least once before being handed a shot at the title. Didn't work for Shields, who I thought lost against Kampmann and proved that the competition outside the UFC isn't on the same level. It did work for Diaz though, who we all thought should've been with the UFC all along because he needs to be facing competition on his level.

As for Melendez saying he's done more to earn a title shot.. no, just no. Yeah, beating guys like Masvidal, Aoki, and Kawajiri is impressive, but I don't see them holding anything over the competition Henderson has faced. Not only is the former WEC champion, but he beat two top contenders in the UFC. Sorry, Melendez. But if you want that title shot, you need to come prove it.
Chael_Sonnen
12/19/11 7:41:16PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Melendez < Bendo

"I'm not trying to be a cry baby again"

Der, ooohh really Gilbert
Cooler
12/19/11 7:42:04PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'll never be a fan of handing out title shots to fighters who haven't fought in the UFC. AT LEAST have one fight inside the octagon against a top ranked opponent.

Let's look at Shields and Diaz, who had to fight at least once before being handed a shot at the title. Didn't work for Shields, who I thought lost against Kampmann and proved that the competition outside the UFC isn't on the same level. It did work for Diaz though, who we all thought should've been with the UFC all along because he needs to be facing competition on his level.

As for Melendez saying he's done more to earn a title shot.. no, just no. Yeah, beating guys like Masvidal, Aoki, and Kawajiri is impressive, but I don't see them holding anything over the competition Henderson has faced. Not only is the former WEC champion, but he beat two top contenders in the UFC. Sorry, Melendez. But if you want that title shot, you need to come prove it.

Not to be a word nazi here but GIlbert is trying to prove he's the best by fighting the best in Frankie Edgar. Even Maynard was saying Pettis didnt deserve it even though Pettis was going to get it, only reason Maynard got the shot was because he already beat Edgar before.

As far as Gil leapfrogging Bendo, No I dont agree with that because Gil just fought and the scheduling would be off. But I think he could get an immediate title shot just like Nick Diaz was going to get, like Fedor was going to get had he signed, like Gomi wouldve gotten had he signed right away after pride folded, like Hendo got twice after winning pride belts, I think Mach Sakurai was a champ when he fought Matt Hughes.

I think Bendo earned the title shot even without the scheduling problems but all I'm saying is sometimes the right guy for the title shot isnt always in zuffa right away.
ghandikush
12/19/11 11:34:47PM
Bendo=toMelendez in talent
Redkayak
12/20/11 12:15:55AM
bjj1605
12/20/11 1:56:11AM

Posted by FastKnockout

To be fair to Shields, I think the weight cut had A LOT to do with it.

He's way better at MW.
Aether
12/20/11 3:11:59AM
Well that was some of the most incoherent rambling nonsense I've heard from a sober, sane person in a long time.

The Ultimate Fighter and PRIDE? OK? What? Who was on TUF? What are you talking about? Want to fight for the UFC title? Try being in the UFC! That could possibly help, being signed to the organization that you want a title fight in, just a thought there champ. LoL?

Must have gotten some good weed from Nick or something, because this is one of the most poorly formed, nonsense thoughts I've ever seen from an adult human.
ghandikush
12/20/11 1:51:06PM

Posted by Aether

Well that was some of the most incoherent rambling nonsense I've heard from a sober, sane person in a long time.

The Ultimate Fighter and PRIDE? OK? What? Who was on TUF? What are you talking about? Want to fight for the UFC title? Try being in the UFC! That could possibly help, being signed to the organization that you want a title fight in, just a thought there champ. LoL?

Must have gotten some good weed from Nick or something, because this is one of the most poorly formed, nonsense thoughts I've ever seen from an adult human.

He might have been aying that while fighters were getting handholds from zuffa he was kicking high ranking *** ass.
Budgellism
12/20/11 2:45:54PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by FastKnockout

To be fair to Shields, I think the weight cut had A LOT to do with it.

He's way better at MW.

I completely agree. I hope he moves there after the Akiyama fight. He has a lot of reasons to. The weight cut isn't so harsh, he'll be one of the better wrestlers, the match ups are a little more interesting, he'll never be forced into a situation where he'll have to fight Nick and in my opinion he could be champ there.
Sir_Karl
12/20/11 3:15:18PM
I think Zuffa needs to expedite the process of dismantling Strikeforce. Get rid of it already. Bring the top and up and coming fighters over to the UFC. Personally I think it is foolish to keep Strikeforce going. While I think Gil does deserve a shot ahead of Benson I feel they ought to make Gil fight a couple times in the UFC first and if he wins then give him a title shot.
cowcatcher
12/20/11 3:24:54PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think Zuffa needs to expedite the process of dismantling Strikeforce. Get rid of it already. Bring the top and up and coming fighters over to the UFC. Personally I think it is foolish to keep Strikeforce going. While I think Gil does deserve a shot ahead of Benson I feel they ought to make Gil fight a couple times in the UFC first and if he wins then give him a title shot.

If SF is making money then there's no reason to pull the plug. It gives Zuffa a place to pigeon hole fighters they don't want jumping ship to other organizations, develop up and coming talent, and provide a feeder system for the big show.
Aether
12/20/11 3:31:26PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Aether

He might have been aying that while fighters were getting handholds from zuffa he was kicking high ranking *** ass.

My point is that this has absolutely nothing to do with what he is talking about, making it a bunch of rambling nonsense. These comments are in the context of a conversation where he is saying he deserves a title shot more than Ben Henderson.

We don't give title shots to people based on fights they had 5 years ago in a different organization, if we did, Sakuraba would be in line for a UFC title shot as well. Also, Ben Henderson has absolutely nothing to do with TUF, he fought his way up the ladder just like Melendez did, the difference is that Henderson made considerably better career choices by signing with the WEC/UFC than Gilbert did signing with PRIDE and Strikeforce.

This is like the MMA equivalent of when your grandpa starts talking about how his generation had to walk up-hill through 100 feet of snow both ways to get to school. It's just Gilbert feeling sorry for himself.

I actually like most of the Gracie JJ guys for the most part. They are mostly exciting and talented fighters, and seem like fairly cool guys if you were to get to know them, but this group of people has to come out with the highest concentration of mind-numbingly retarded comments out of any camp in MMA. It's absolutely stupendous. From Melendez to Diaz to Gracie himself, I just am floored every time I read something that came from their mouths.
kingsmasher
12/20/11 4:30:06PM
I could careless what guys were in Pride...One dimensional most who cant survive the pack these days...I dont think Gil is great or bad...really unproven...HE hasnt fought anyone very well rounded like the guys today...I think if he fought the top 5 he loses 4..
Pookie
12/20/11 9:13:46PM
Factoids and objectivity aside, Melendez has a better style to fight Edgar.
From my perspective, thats the single most relevant issue.

But things are already set in stone. No point complaining.
MaxOne
12/21/11 2:56:42PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I vote no to dismantling Strikeforce. Too bad Dana doesn't check w/me on this stuff first. they shouldn't have killed the WEC either and it's terrible that Pride is gone. These additional organizations that have good exposure are great for the sport. I hated to see IFL go too. It's like coffee shops...the more there are the better for the entire industry. Weak ones will fall but the sport in general will grow and it's really good for the athletes because it gives them more options/ways to make a living.
KungFuMaster
12/21/11 3:29:14PM
I hope the UFC moves Melendez over quickly. I cannot wait for Melendez to prove I am right by losing to top ten LWs.

Anyway, Melendez should be careful what he asks for...
Assuming he receives a title shot and loses, this will send him free-falling down the bottomless pit of oblivion. His confidence and most importantly his soul - will have been crushed in this void and the long journey to ascend out of it will seem almost impossible.