Gilbert Melendez mulls move to UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gilbert Melendez mulls move to UFC
MMAcca
12/22/08 12:10:11PM
“I have one fight left with Strikeforce. Right now, I’m really happy with them…. There is the possibility I could stay there with them, but I don’t know, we will see how it goes. The UFC has always been a big dream of mine. The UFC is a great organization. I love that show. But MMA is a business now and I have got to make sure things are in my best interest. The fighter in me wants to just go to the UFC and just go test myself with everyone. I’m under contract right now part of my contract is we cannot discuss it so I wouldn’t do that. But I hope and believe they are interested. It’s something I would consider. At the end of the day I’m a fighter and I have a life so I have to do what is in the best interest for me.”

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
12/22/08 12:21:48PM
UFC needs to snatch up Melendez and Shields. Instead of signing these unknown fighters. Sign gilbert and jake because they will draw a crowd.
higdon10
12/22/08 12:29:06PM
Melendez is game. Would be a really good pick up.
Mayhem13
12/22/08 12:38:41PM
Melendez would do good in the UFC, dont think he's get the belt...but he would make for some good fights.

Guida rematch!
Edgar vs Melendez
Huerta vs Melendez
and
Melendez vs Florian

all fights I wanna see!!

cowcatcher
12/22/08 12:45:46PM
melendez is a perfect fit for the ufc, and can give any fighter trouble including bj, although i wouldnt go so far as to say he would win should they fight. i think it would be safe to say that if he ends up in the ufc shields would too, and vice versa, hopefully it happens sooner than later.
nickcuc547
12/22/08 1:20:54PM
i would love to see gilbert in the ufc, i think he would be a top five guy. plus he always puts on a great fight, and usually wins.
nickcuc547
12/22/08 1:21:45PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

UFC needs to snatch up Melendez and Shields. Instead of signing these unknown fighters. Sign gilbert and jake because they will draw a crowd.

agree, shields would be a great fit, especially now that diego is moving down to lw.
Wolfenstein
12/22/08 1:30:54PM
Melendez is a good fighter and deserves a spot in the UFC, but I'll go against the grain and say I hope it doesn't happen. To me he's just not an exciting fighter. Some people like that Clay Guida take em' down wear em' down style, but it's just not my cup of tea. If he would start implementing his submission game I think he could be a much better fighter, and be much more exciting.
EvenFlow
12/22/08 3:25:44PM
He's good but not good enough to beat Diego, Sherk or Florian let alone BJ. I think he knows he has some growing to do in the sport and I think it's a good idea to wait out on the UFC for awhile, hone the striking and BJJ instead of just LnP and GnP.
TimW001
12/22/08 4:23:38PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Melendez would be awesome to have! Also with a few other LW's. Like Aoki, and Hellboy. Even thouhg I know we will never see helboy in the UFC.
casey64
12/22/08 4:30:09PM
I hope he comes to the UFC.
JimiMak
12/22/08 4:47:34PM
I seriously want to see Melenez come, sooner rather than later. I think he'd have some great matches and maybe in a cpl years could be a contender or champ.
prozacnation1978
12/23/08 2:35:13AM
i really think where ever shields goes he will go
but ufc if he does it won't be till the summer time
he will fight by end of year in ufc