Gilbert Melendez Top 10 Lightweight???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Gilbert Melendez Top 10 Lightweight???
hathcock32
7/3/08 1:50:11AM
I like Gilbert Melendez but however i dont think he is a top 10 Lightweight....not saying that he never will be i believe he is only 26 years old. I believe Gilbert has been a little over-rated. I believe a lot of the hype and praise came from a Unanimous Decision win over Kawajiri at Pride Shockwave 2006. I dont think "El Nino" striking is that great. It is not bad by all means but he isn't going to scare to many people on the feet. Thompson exploited a few things in his game(taking him down, clinch game.)Ishida also took Melendez at will. Don't get me wrong Thompson is a good striker however i believe there are many guys in the UFC and Dream that would handle Gilbert Melendez. Penn, Sherk, Florian, Stevenson, Alvarez, Huerta, Ishida, JZ, Aoki just to name a few. Josh Thompson is a good fighter, but for Melendez to not win one round in a 5 round title fight isn't very impressive.
hotrodttt
7/3/08 2:01:29AM
The Decision over Kawajiri wasn't a Great Decision, There is nothing that Gilbert is Tremendous at. It's been proved that he can be Out Wrestled, as seen against Ishida, Thomson, and essentially Kawajiri. He is not a Good Striker and doesn't have that Knockout Power. His Ground Game is Good but he needs to use it as more as an offensive weapn. The things that Gilby are Great at are Relentless Ground and Pound and his Cardio, and his Wrestling to a certain extent.

The reason I picked him over Thomson was that Josh's Sprawl was never that Great, He got tooken down by Nam Phan who has no where near the Wrestling of Gilby.
Pookie
7/3/08 2:09:03AM
What pushed him into the top ten for me was his absolutely dominating performance against clay guida. ITs a SD, but really Melendez won every single round handily.
Gipper
7/3/08 1:26:00PM
gilbert earned his way into the top ten. thomson was just a better fighter that night. i give all the credit in the world to the punk in my mind he has arrived in the top 10. ishida did nothing but hug melendez for most of that fight. gilbert melendez was and still is a top ten lw.
Tommy209
7/25/08 12:16:25PM
His fights are awesome and he always brings it to the cage. I really didn't think the punk had a chance but this is mma. Theres no way in hell Huerta, Florian, Stevenson or Alverez would handle him. They might be good fights but nobodys going to run over him. B.j and sherk might do good against him but he has all the tools to win every fight. Gilbert is an awesome top 10 fighter. I hope he can fight the punk again in the near future.
mk1630
7/25/08 2:03:03PM

Posted by Tommy209

His fights are awesome and he always brings it to the cage. I really didn't think the punk had a chance but this is mma. Theres no way in hell Huerta, Florian, Stevenson or Alverez would handle him. They might be good fights but nobodys going to run over him. B.j and sherk might do good against him but he has all the tools to win every fight. Gilbert is an awesome top 10 fighter. I hope he can fight the punk again in the near future.

I like him too, but still i do see him losing the majority of those fights. Huerta doesnt really have KO power so if they stood the whole time i would see a SD for either one, but i could also see both getting a TKO with gnp. I think Joe Daddy would submit him, and Alvarez would KO him early.Sherk would hold on for dear life for 3 rounds. And do i even have to mention BJ??
ncordless
7/25/08 2:55:01PM
He's in the picture, but he's no longer in my top ten. His losses to Ishida and the Punk have moved him down the list in my eyes.

In my eyes, Joachim and Alvarez are in the top ten with their impressive performances in DREAM, and Gilbert is out.
copcopps
7/25/08 5:26:10PM
Agreed, never even heard of Alverez before he beat Hansen. And he also beat Kawajiri. Melendez lost to Ihhida and Thompson but is still good