Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson Strikeforce fight booked for June 27 » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson Strikeforce fight booked for June 27
4/25/08 10:10:15AM
Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez (14-1) and Josh Thomson (14-2) are booked to scrap during the main event at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, Calif., on Friday June 27.

The 155-pound tilt between “Bay-area archrivals” was supposed to go down on March 29; however, “The Punk” has to undergo surgery to repair a left shoulder injury. “El Nino” went on to defend his title against Gabe Lemley with a second round technical knockout.

Here’s a snip from Melendez:

“This is a very big fight for the fans, for the promotion and for Josh and me. Josh is a great fighter, but I’m the champ and I plan on remaining the champ for a long time.”

Thomson is on a six-fight win streak, finishing five of those fights inside the distance mostly with submissions. He stopped Adam Lynn with a technical knockout his last time out at Strikeforce: “Playboy Mansion” in September 2007.

Here’s a snip from Thomason:

“This fight with Gilbert has been a long time coming and we’re ready to do it. It’s not as if we need a feeling out period. We both know each other very well. We’ve trained together, we’ve sparred together. We’re gonna come out ready for five rounds, but we’re gonna bang it out.”

4/25/08 12:01:04PM
This I think will be great fight..... Melendez will finally get a true test for his belt
4/25/08 1:03:57PM
oh i know, this is going to be a hell of a fight.
4/25/08 1:38:43PM
Can't wait to see Gil get smashed!
4/25/08 4:25:34PM
I think Josh takes it too. Thank god this is happening though...thought it was going to be one of those randyfedor the chuckwandy myth that took place for 5 years!!!
4/25/08 5:33:03PM
good news i have been looking forward to this fight for a while
4/25/08 6:34:16PM
what an exciting fight... I think Melendez takes this.