Gilbert Melendez camp considering move to featherweight, negotiating with UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gilbert Melendez camp considering move to featherweight, negotiating with UFC
FastKnockout
12/5/12 8:07:47PM
Saturday's title fight between Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz will not only impact the UFC's lightweight division, but possibly featherweight, as well. A Diaz win could mean a move to 145 for Gilbert Melendez.

Link
BuffaloDave
12/5/12 9:01:47PM
I think a weight cut to 145 for El Nino wouldn't be to hard.

Would love for his first fight to be against the Korean Zombie. I wouldn't know who to root for as i like both, but that would be a helluva fight, and a great first fight for Melendez in his UFC debut.
Copenhagen
12/5/12 9:17:40PM
I think he should drop down, regardless of Diaz's outcome, if he is able to make the cut.
Many sharks in the 155 division.
Although, hell, if Diaz loses I could see the UFC giving Melendez the next shot at 155 without him having to test the waters.
sparky
12/5/12 9:35:54PM
I think a drop to 45 is the right move for Gilbert. Honestly I dont think he will fair to well in the UFC's LW division I could be wrong though
pmoney
12/5/12 10:29:53PM
I think Gil could be a contender at LW. He'd for sure be a contender at FW. I just can't wait for Strikeforce to die and for El Nino to storm into the UFC. (Sorry had to do it)
Pookie
12/5/12 10:43:25PM
5'9 with long arms and a wide upperbody. I think hed be a humongous FW. Personally i think hes already among the best at 155. I think thats the division his frame is meant for.
jae_1833
12/5/12 11:59:57PM
I think what he is really saying here is that there is no way he will ever fight either Diaz Bro, as they have all fought at LW.
I think it's really funny how Gracie indirectly discredited Melendez by talking about how Diaz will be his first champ. Shit same goes for Shields.
Bubbles
12/6/12 12:38:40AM

Posted by jae_1833

I think it's really funny how Gracie indirectly discredited Melendez by talking about how Diaz will be his first champ. Shit same goes for Shields.

not really. I think he said this before Shields fought GSP and he believes Diaz will beat Bendo this weekend. Melendez won't be in the UFC for a while and Shields is no where near a MW title fight
BillsNewAccount
12/6/12 8:20:45AM
I'd wait for Aldo to move up.
jae_1833
12/6/12 11:31:08AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jae_1833

not really. I think he said this before Shields fought GSP and he believes Diaz will beat Bendo this weekend. Melendez won't be in the UFC for a while and Shields is no where near a MW title fight

Oh I get that, but Shields, Nick, and Gil have all been Champs in SF.....did he specify first UFC Champ?
kingsmasher
12/6/12 11:56:51AM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I'd wait for Aldo to move up.

What do you mean by this? Like nobody can beat Aldo? Curious...
BuffaloDave
12/6/12 1:02:16PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jae_1833

Oh I get that, but Shields, Nick, and Gil have all been Champs in SF.....did he specify first UFC Champ?

Yeah, Gracie said UFC champ.
jae_1833
12/6/12 10:02:00PM
Thanks Buff....+1
tcunningham
12/7/12 2:28:11AM
might be the only way into the ufc for him. they dont seem to be in a hurry to get him there as a LW. i think melendez is a little over rated but i think he'll be a great addition to the ufc whatever weight class he chooses.