Gif of Jones's spinning back elbow?!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Gif of Jones's spinning back elbow?!
SmileR
2/1/09 10:15:40AM
Does anyone have this? I'm looking for it more to see Joe Silva's look of horror as Bonner hits the ground than anything else!
Jackelope
2/1/09 10:36:59AM
That spinning back elbow was insane. I'd be interested to see the .gif, too. Such a dangerous move the way the elbow came down on the back of the head. I'm really glad Bonnar didn't get severely injured. A move like that can easily kill someone.

Although I don't think Jon Jones intended for it to hit on the back of the head like it did.
grappler0000
2/1/09 10:42:47AM
Twenty20Dollars
2/1/09 10:51:16AM
Of course Joe silva was excited, prolly the most exciting action he had seen untill the co-main and main event.
casey64
2/1/09 11:43:19AM
I didnt know what to think when that happened, the first exciting thing that happenned last night.
MMAcca
2/1/09 11:51:23AM
kopower
2/1/09 12:12:58PM
It happened real fast but why wasn't Jones warned or the fight stopped due to a blow to the back of the head? Looking at it in slow motion it may have grazed the side of Bonnar's head first but it looks like it nailed him in the back of the head. It wasn't even mentioned by Rogan or Goldberg
Bowen50
2/1/09 1:24:49PM

Posted by kopower

It happened real fast but why wasn't Jones warned or the fight stopped due to a blow to the back of the head? Looking at it in slow motion it may have grazed the side of Bonnar's head first but it looks like it nailed him in the back of the head. It wasn't even mentioned by Rogan or Goldberg

i'm pretty sure a standing strike to the back of the head isn't illegal. it's only illegal on the ground when the back of the head is the intended target.
Wolfenstein
2/1/09 1:30:18PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by kopower

i'm pretty sure a standing strike to the back of the head isn't illegal. it's only illegal on the ground when the back of the head is the intended target.

What?! Strikes to the back of the head are illegal period. It's a safety issue, and illegal in any combat sport.

Official MMA Rules
casey64
2/1/09 1:32:56PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by kopower

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I went crazy when I saw that sayin that was BS.
grappler0000
2/1/09 1:37:10PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by kopower

What?! Strikes to the back of the head are illegal period. It's a safety issue, and illegal in any combat sport.

Official MMA Rules

Generally speaking...when the strike isn't intended for the back of the head, but lands on the back of the head, it is overlooked. If Jon were throwing several strikes and multiple were landing on the back of the head, the ref would've stepped in. It's just a side effect of the sport when you have two moving targets.
kopower
2/1/09 1:49:00PM
I see your point but it seems like they have no problem stopping a fight when a fighter is scrambling to his feet and catches a knee to the head. I suppose the spinning elbow is a lot tougher to judge and depends where the ref is standing and Bonnar wasn't in the right state of mind to complain about it.

I love both of the gifs on the thread, Bonnar bouncing off of the mat and Joe Silva freakin out.
cmb19932
2/1/09 1:49:39PM
to be fair i thought that Brock Mir 1 was a similar case i don't think the ref should have stepped in because the shots weren't aimed for the back of the head Mir turned into them and Brock was just throwing widely so in the same way this is like that the elbow wasn't ment for the back and it was only one wild shot so the ref has to choose weather or not it is a big enough deal to warrant discipline
telnights
2/1/09 2:25:16PM
It was a very good elbow but its was clearly to the back of the head. The action should have been stopped giving Bonnar time to recover and Jones should at the very least been warned. Now I will say I was shocked at how good Jones looked and also shocked at how bad Bonnar looked. Bonnar looked flat and very slow in his strikes. His take down D was also not that great either it almost like he was tripping on his own feet at times. But got to give credit to Jones he did a great job and if keeps looking this good he will be a force at 205. Jones needs to work on his cardio some because there are some fighters that will work him over if he gasses the way he did in the third round.
Mungooch
2/2/09 5:23:27AM
Early prediction Jon Jones UFC champ one day
Start the flamethrowers
mrkennedy
2/2/09 11:02:31PM
the kid is great
Drudinh
2/3/09 2:38:19AM
I noticite that night and brought it up to my buddies. they didn't care cuz it looked to amazing.