Georges St. Pierre Targets Return At UFC 154; Talks Potential Super-Fight Against Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St. Pierre Targets Return At UFC 154; Talks Potential Super-Fight Against Anderson Silva
prophecy033
3/23/12 2:03:04AM
On yesterday's press conference in Calgary, Alberta, Dana White announced three future events to be held in Canada. It will be Calgary on July 21, Toronto on September 22, and Montreal on November 17.

Georges St. Pierre also participated on the presser and he gave an update on his rehab. The UFC welterweight champ says he's targeting a return on that Montreal PPV event which would be UFC 154:

Link
KungFuMaster
3/23/12 11:11:53AM
It did not sound like GSP was really considering the fight with Anderson.
Shawn91111
3/23/12 12:14:51PM
He is never going to fight Silva, at all. If he wanted to he would have said so a long long time ago.
SmileR
3/23/12 12:31:13PM

Posted by Shawn91111

He is never going to fight Silva, at all. If he wanted to he would have said so a long long time ago.

You can't really blame him. GSP would be small at MW Anderson could fight comfortably at LHW. Also its lose lose for Anderson, if he wins he beat a champ from the weight below coming off a major injury. If he loses he lost to a guy who he outweighed by 40+ pounds right after surgery!
I don't really want to see this fight at all.
Budgellism
3/23/12 12:33:04PM
Call me crazy but I don't want to see the fight. Not at any weight.

It was all good when GSP's division was cleaned out but with new belt contenders like Condit, Kampmann, Ellenberger, Hendricks and MacDonald I would much rather see any of those guys fight GSP instead of Silva.

Middleweight is still weak enough for Silva to be talking about super fights but he's still got Sonnen in front of him and other guys like Weidman and Palhares in the wings. They had the chance to make this super fight and have it be a big deal nearly 2 years ago. It's time to move on and talk about other things.
Boo_Radley21
3/23/12 12:47:16PM

Posted by Budgellism

It was all good when GSP's division was cleaned out but with new belt contenders like Condit, Kampmann, Ellenberger, Hendricks and MacDonald I would much rather see any of those guys fight GSP instead of Silva.

Middleweight is still weak enough for Silva to be talking about super fights but he's still got Sonnen in front of him and other guys like Weidman and Palhares in the wings. They had the chance to make this super fight and have it be a big deal nearly 2 years ago. It's time to move on and talk about other things.

the days of fitch kos and thiago being the only likely contenders are done. lets see gsp keep cleaning out welterweights
Bubbles
3/23/12 1:32:47PM
GSP fighting Silva right off surgery makes no sense. If he blows by Condit and shows no ill effects, then I'm all for it. At this point in time I don't care if this fight does or doesn't happen. Silva has one more fight, maybe 2, left at MW before he needs to look elsewhere. IMO he should move up and fight Shogun (after he beats Rampage) after the Sonnen fight
Wallass
3/23/12 2:18:02PM
My interest in this fight has dwindled in the last year and a half and I doubt it ever happens as GSP has no interest in moving up, despite what he or Firas might say. Not too mention that the welterweight division has gotten stronger since GSP's last fight.
jae_1833
3/23/12 2:57:53PM
I agree with all you about it being two years ago and current situations making it undesirable. I really think a super fight vs Shogun wouldn't happen, they would be too good of friends some how. Now Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva .....that would be awesome!!
DancingDoll
3/23/12 4:49:16PM
I think this fight would have made sense when they first started talking about it a few years ago. I really don't see it happening now. Too many dynamics have shifted and the hype train on this fight is slowly grinding to a permanent stall.

I'll be interested to see how GSP does when he returns late this year. It's been such a long time since his last fight - it's hard to predict anything until we see him in action post-rehab.

shaneTpain
3/23/12 5:36:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Couldnt have said it better myself Budge! . Stupid ass media drones should quit bringing it up at every second press conference. GSP was classy as ever but you could sorta tell he was like "oh not this same bullshit.." when the question was asked. ProjectMayhem 4 LIFEEEEE
Shawn91111
3/25/12 5:03:16AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Shawn91111

You can't really blame him. GSP would be small at MW Anderson could fight comfortably at LHW. Also its lose lose for Anderson, if he wins he beat a champ from the weight below coming off a major injury. If he loses he lost to a guy who he outweighed by 40+ pounds right after surgery!
I don't really want to see this fight at all.

People are outweighed all the time in the HW division, and that 40+ pounds is a bunch of nonsense.
Bubbles
3/25/12 5:47:31PM

Posted by Shawn91111

People are outweighed all the time in the HW division, and that 40+ pounds is a bunch of nonsense.

the skill at HW is still below what you see at MW and WW. I agree 40 pound difference at fight time is silly but there will be around a 20 pound weight difference on fight night. Comparing Pat Barry vs Shane Carwin to GSP vs Silva in terms of weight difference is illogical
Shawn91111
3/25/12 7:14:44PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

the skill at HW is still below what you see at MW and WW. I agree 40 pound difference at fight time is silly but there will be around a 20 pound weight difference on fight night. Comparing Pat Barry vs Shane Carwin to GSP vs Silva in terms of weight difference is illogical

But your examples are one extreme to the other.
bjj1605
3/25/12 7:52:56PM
Anderson is bigger but not by that much.

Its not like the fight would be a freak show.

GSP is a big WW. He's very muscular and I'm sure he could pack on some more.

I think GSP and Anderson are closer in size than Anderson and Jon Jones.
Pookie
3/25/12 7:59:23PM
Georges weighed 192 on fight night against Shields. And Anderson weighed 187 two weeks before the fight with Maia. Which is a bit early to start cutting water weight, especially if you only have 2 pounds to cut.

I would be very surprised to see more than a 10 lbs difference in fight night weight between the two.

Georges likes to put on as much weight as he can, and Anderson likes to fight light. Both are very good strategies for the two considering their styles.

Now, i will admit that as far as body structure is concerned, Anderson is a much bigger man. But their weight's on fight night aren't that much different IMO.
Bubbles
3/25/12 8:00:23PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

they are but you made a general statement about the HW division comparing it to the size difference between GSP and Silva.
Bubbles
3/25/12 8:04:12PM

Posted by bjj1605

Anderson is bigger but not by that much.

Its not like the fight would be a freak show.

GSP is a big WW. He's very muscular and I'm sure he could pack on some more.

I think GSP and Anderson are closer in size than Anderson and Jon Jones.

GSP has been the smaller fighter in a bunch of the fights he has had since he beat Serra, Okami might have been the only fighter bigger than Silva on fight night. I would argue Silva is too big for his weight class in comparison to GSP

Your last point, however, might be correct.
Shawn91111
3/25/12 9:47:05PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

they are but you made a general statement about the HW division comparing it to the size difference between GSP and Silva.

Of course, but not skill set. The skill set of GSP/Silva is much closer than that of Barry and Carwin
jjeans
3/26/12 6:53:03AM
Personally I'd rather see all champions be forced to jump a weight class permanently than a one off super fight, just like Budgell and SmileR I have no real interest in it. If all champions jumped together it'd make more sense and I'd enjoy seeing how they faired after being so dominant in there one division, there all dominant at that weight class for a reason but if they go up its like fighting in another persons backyard, they already have an advantage of experience etc. My ideas hypothetical but I'd like to see it

If I was matchmaking
Jones - Up to 265 (Carwin, Cain)
Anderson - Up to 205 (Rampage, Shogun)
GSP - Up to 185 (Bisping, Sonnen)
Bendo - He is almost an exception to the rule as he hasn't yet proven dominance as champion
Aldo - Up to 155 (Pettis, Edgar)
Cruz - Fight at both 145/135 (Only champion I would struggle to match with as he's never looked bad in any matches no fights really interest me but maybe Hioki or Nunes, both would get wrestle-raped but Mendes and KenFlo would get stand and tagged, so maybe Cruz could be the first to hold a title in 2 divisions)
Bubbles
3/26/12 12:48:31PM

Posted by jjeans
...so maybe Cruz could be the first to hold a title in 2 divisions at the same time

fixed