Georges St. Pierre not in a 'Rush' to fight Anderson Silva at 185 pounds

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St. Pierre not in a 'Rush' to fight Anderson Silva at 185 pounds
SmileR
3/10/11 10:19:11AM
"It's a complete re-orientation of my career. People are saying crazy stuff, like 'Oh, you just have to gain 30 pounds and take the fight and fight him in three months.' I can't (gain) 30 pounds in three months. It would take a lot more than that if I want to go up in weight class. Plus, (Anderson) Silva fights at light heavyweight as well. So he walks around at … he's probably 40 pounds heavier than I am (off season). So if I fight this fight, it might be at a catch weight. If it happens. It's something I'm not thinking about right now because it's not my number one priority. I've had a lot of success at 170. If I move to 185, I need to talk to my sponsors, my trainers. It's a complete change of life. Do I want to take the risk, maybe yes. Maybe It's going to be a great challenge. Maybe, no. But I have to talk with my trainers ... I have to fight Jake Shields [and] I think Anderson Silva has to fight Yushin Okami. I'm not afraid of nobody in the world. I'm a martial artist. If it happens [with] the right timing and everything, if it is how I want it, and how he wants it. I fight whoever they want. I can fight everyone in the world. I don't mind."

Link

Full artical here
quezocrema0032
3/10/11 11:36:57AM
I agree with georges he deserves to take more time to put on the weight. I don't want to see there bout as a catch weight though, I would like the belt but more importantly a five round fight. If its a catch weight five round fight then I'm for it. I think anderson should fight okami first While georges puts weight on, the fight could take place end of thr year or early 2012. I'm not a st peirre fan but I think if he's going to leave 170 he deserves the time to add muscle. Plus put silva vs okami as headliner of ufc rio. I'm sure anderson would be enticed to fight in brazil and then fight the biggest fight in ufc history. assuming he beasts okami that is
icantthinkofanything
3/10/11 12:02:00PM
I FREAKEN KNEW IT,

GSP dont want anything to do with the 185 division, eventhough he should wanna prove himself like Couture and Penn (And A Silva) fighting anyone at any weight,
would GSP lose his skill or speed, prolly not but he would lose his size advantage... which is a big asset for GSP. some guys like Fitch are bigger than GSP, but GSP has so much muscle, ww is the best weight for him, I think losing to Anderson will screw up GSP if he cant go back to ww. Afterall, Couture and Bj are dissed on a lot of threads eventhough they only fight the best and sometimes lose or get robbed.
isk
3/10/11 12:16:53PM
I tend to agree. While GSP has pretty much cleaned out the WW division worldwide, I don't see a move to MW as beneficial for him. His frame is perfect for WW in height, reach, and muscle mass. Even if he went up to WW, fighting Anderson straight off is suicide. Biggest fight in MMA? To this point, no doubt, but I think GSP would need some calibration fights at 185 both to see how he hangs there and for his own mental game. But from the business side, that runs the risk of the Silva/GSP fight losing appeal due to a number of factors - one of them losing previous, Silva retiring or fighting like he should retire, something like that.

Aside from select intriguing matchups (like GSP vs Sonnen) I don't like this move for him at all.
BigIP
3/10/11 1:11:04PM
I don't see GSP beating Silva. After Bones beats Rua I would like to see a super fight between Silva and Jones!
thepitbull00
3/10/11 1:26:13PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I FREAKEN KNEW IT,

GSP dont want anything to do with the 185 division, eventhough he should wanna prove himself like Couture and Penn (And A Silva) fighting anyone at any weight,
would GSP lose his skill or speed, prolly not but he would lose his size advantage... which is a big asset for GSP. some guys like Fitch are bigger than GSP, but GSP has so much muscle, ww is the best weight for him, I think losing to Anderson will screw up GSP if he cant go back to ww. Afterall, Couture and Bj are dissed on a lot of threads eventhough they only fight the best and sometimes lose or get robbed.

Actually he said he would be willing to do it but he needs to look at it very seriously before he moves up a class. For a guy that walks around at less than 180 lbs. it's a big move. And realistically GSP never really had a size advantage anyway, pretty much everyone in the division cuts more weight than St. Pierre.
BigIP
3/10/11 1:35:01PM

Posted by thepitbull00

I FREAKEN KNEW IT,

Actually he said he would be willing to do it but he needs to look at it very seriously before he moves up a class. For a guy that walks around at less than 180 lbs. it's a big move. And realistically GSP never really had a size advantage anyway, pretty much everyone in the division cuts more weight than St. Pierre.

I thought GSP walks around at close to 200lbs?
TeamDEY
3/10/11 1:49:37PM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by thepitbull00

I FREAKEN KNEW IT,

He does
State_Champ
3/10/11 2:47:45PM

I FREAKEN KNEW IT,

Yes, there are many people who have thought GSP didn't really desire to switch weight classes.
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/10/11 3:24:24PM

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by BigIP

Posted by thepitbull00

I FREAKEN KNEW IT,

He does

theres a BIG difference between WALKING AROUND at 200 and be at FIGHTING SHAPE at 185...the guy's not used to it at all. It would take some time. Haters can seriously shut up, let the welterweight champ do what he wants for now, when it's time for the super fight, it'll happen.
DeadHead988
3/10/11 5:31:18PM
I can't help but think that he really doesn't want this fight...
bjj1605
3/10/11 5:42:42PM
I know we have strict rules of conduct here so I won't even mention the words "ducking" or "scared."

I sort of knew this fight was too good to be true. It would be the fight of the decade and those never seem to pan out until people are no longer interested in them. I want to see this fights so bad But I can't say I blame George for not wanting to fight the #1 P4P fighter in the world (probably in history), a man who just also happens to be much larger than him.
State_Champ
3/10/11 5:43:37PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I can't help but think that he really doesn't want this fight...

And I hope he doesn't take it just because of all the pressure.

GSP seems to be in a bit of a bind. If he fights and loses (possibly due to his size) then he's lost some serious luster and, if he doesn't move up then he risks losing fans or at the very least being labelled "scared".

Personally, GSP doesn't seem to keen on this fight and it makes me hope he doesn't take it.
Sir_Karl
3/10/11 6:21:19PM
I don't see why everyone is hyping a GSP/Spider fight!!!! I think the proper "Superfight" would be Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva. It makes much more sense.
State_Champ
3/10/11 6:33:26PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I don't see why everyone is hyping a GSP/Spider fight!!!! I think the proper "Superfight" would be Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva. It makes much more sense.

Or A. Silva vs Rua?

Or A. Silva vs _____[insert elite 205er here]________?
thepitbull00
3/10/11 6:48:32PM
My bad guys....I double checked and GSP is usually somewhere between 190 and 195 between fights.
SmileR
3/10/11 7:11:03PM
I honestly don't see why people are blaming GSP for this?!
Silva is without a doubt the biggest MW there is and I'd go as far as to say one of the bigger LHW's there are too.
Silva was also allowed to fight lower ranked opponents to begin with at LHW, he wasn't just thrust at the champ and criticised if he said it'll take some planning.

GSP is a pretty big WW but he is nowhere near the biggest. Johnson, Alves, Fitch and Kampmann have all said they walk around at 200lb or above. In a recent interview GSP says his weight when he started his camps for Shields was 189lb.

If thats what he's entering a camp at he'll struggle to keep weight on to fight Anderson at 185!

Give the guy a break! If he still feels their are challenges for him at 170 why not let him see them out and possibly take a fight against a guy like Bisping to test the water and see if he can hang with the MW's.
Its not like he's said he'll never do it!

State_Champ
3/10/11 7:29:50PM

Posted by SmileR

I honestly don't see why people are blaming GSP for this?!
Silva is without a doubt the biggest MW there is and I'd go as far as to say one of the bigger LHW's there are too.
Silva was also allowed to fight lower ranked opponents to begin with at LHW, he wasn't just thrust at the champ and criticised if he said it'll take some planning.

GSP is a pretty big WW but he is nowhere near the biggest. Johnson, Alves, Fitch and Kampmann have all said they walk around at 200lb or above. In a recent interview GSP says his weight when he started his camps for Shields was 189lb.

If thats what he's entering a camp at he'll struggle to keep weight on to fight Anderson at 185!

Give the guy a break! If he still feels their are challenges for him at 170 why not let him see them out and possibly take a fight against a guy like Bisping to test the water and see if he can hang with the MW's.
Its not like he's said he'll never do it!

Yep.
I would rather GSP stay at WW.
But I do want to see Anderson Silva vs Shogun soooooooooo bad