Georges St. Pierre vs Nick Diaz hurdles exist but UFC president open to idea

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St. Pierre vs Nick Diaz hurdles exist but UFC president open to idea
pmoney
5/1/11 10:15:02AM
TORONTO – The UFC's current crop of welterweights has little to offer, and with a super fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva apparently unlikely, what's next for 170-pound titleholder Georges St-Pierre?

It was the big question after St-Pierre's decisive but heavily panned decision victory over Jake Shields in Saturday's UFC 129 main event.

But UFC president Dana White has a potential solution: a fight with Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz.

Article
Budgellism
5/1/11 10:41:22AM
I'm not opposed to the fight but I'm pretty positive gsp would win this fight any day of the week.
icantthinkofanything
5/1/11 10:56:11AM
GSP would be more accurate with the straight right,

the head kick was nice

Nick Diaz is like GSP kryptonite, great cardio, better boxing (awkward though) better bjj, best chin in mma

GSP has the jab, kicks and takedowns.

I think GSP vs Diaz is the only fight that makes sense right now.

GSP would go for the takedown, gnp and probally win, and I will enjoy seeing Diaz lose, but wanna see a war, which im sure it will be!
Budgellism
5/1/11 11:09:23AM
I'm thinking he'll have a much different gameplan for Diaz. He'll take him down and ground and pound him for the decision win.

When Jake caught gsp in the eye it completely threw him off of his game plan. You could see it instantly. Jake's stand up has improved big time but I think gsp was just thrown out of the fight from that moment on. He still won all 5 rounds but he definitely didn't look himself after that shot to the eye.
DJBlankenship
5/1/11 12:06:03PM
I've been wanting to see GSP and Diaz fight for a while now. I think Diaz is the only guy out there who has more than a punchers chance of winning. I wouldn't bet against GSP but I would love to see someone make him fight. Since he won his title, he's gotten kind of boring.

Make this fight happen Dana and do it near eastern KY
BigIP
5/1/11 12:12:17PM
This fight makes much more sense than Silva vs GSP. GSP vs Diaz would be interesting but I see this ending alot like the GSP BJ Penn 2 fight. With George taking him down for 3 rounds and letting all the blood build in his arms to neutralize his striking. I would also like to see Condit vs Diaz and then the winner gets GSP.
prozacnation1978
5/1/11 12:14:51PM
With jake pillow fists shields doing damage to gsp face
Imagine what a boxer in diaz would do.
grappler0000
5/1/11 12:36:15PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. The gameplan for both fights would be on opposite ends of the spectrum. Not to mention, without depth perception or full peripheral vision for the majority of the fight, GSP's lucky he didn't get busted up worse than he did...even against Shields.
CCPRIDE99
5/1/11 1:26:20PM

a boxer like diaz would lay flat on his back with his jj nulified for 25 minutes
Budgellism
5/1/11 1:34:50PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

a boxer like diaz would lay flat on his back with his jj nulified for 25 minutes

This
GrandMaster313
5/1/11 1:36:49PM
Nick Diaz would get slaughtered
gartface
5/1/11 1:42:23PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by CCPRIDE99

This

Double this. Plus the post above mine.
kingsmasher
5/1/11 2:52:45PM
Funny Nick Diaz couldnt beat Jake Shields..TO say Nick Diaz is GSP kryptonite is hilarious...

Anyone that can wrestle is a striker of BJJ guys kryptonite..

THE better wrestler decides where the fight takes place 8 outta ten times and Diaz takedown defense isnt good....

GSP has some up and comers....to worry about...

Rick Story...Anthony Johnson and IM sure after last night more eyes are opened...

GSP new nickname is...

THE New Jon Fitch...but insted of wrestling he standing...His fights are turning out to look like well worse than friday night fights that are free...

Boring I left beginning of 5th round....
TimW001
5/1/11 3:02:45PM

Posted by Budgellism

I'm not opposed to the fight .

For what reason?
Makaveli158
5/1/11 3:45:23PM
post I made elsewhere....

Gsp Vs Diaz interesting...
On the feet I think Diaz would dismantle GSP, no question. After Diaz KO’d Daley and after what Shields did to GSP – I would put money on Diaz having a first round knock out. Nicks aggression and volume striking would overwhelm GSP and break him. And if by some miracle GSP made it outta the first round on the feet, there is no way in hell he would last 4 more vs Nick.

The ground aspect to this match is what makes it interesting. When Nick was in the UFC previously he shown that his kryptonite is vs strong wrestlers…..and GSP happens to be the best wrestler at Welterweight. However, Nick is a BJJ Wizard and could submit GSP or at least make him hesitant to go to the ground.

This is an excellent fight for DIAZ to have a chance to prove himself vs a wrestler, its been years since he has fought one and he has improved since then in many ways.
sbulldavid
5/1/11 3:58:27PM
I think it's time to give Diaz a real MMA match, he's still fighting one dimensional fighters, give him a fight where the other guy has more than one way to win a fight.
vomitshovel
5/1/11 7:07:01PM
IMO Diaz would whoop georges' ass.
I see no quantifiable way in which George could submit or Outstrike diaz. I see Diaz at WORST playing off his guard for 5 rounds and putting up sub attempt after sub attempt.
Diaz 2rd tko.
Would be a boxing clinic and i believe once you hit GSP hard in the face he'll go down quick.
Like someone said above if Pillow Fist Shields can do some damage diaz would tear his face apart.
Also dont take this as me underestimating GSP. The guy has amazing boxing and training with Freddie Roach on standup and John Danaher you definitely could win a UD over diaz
gartface
5/1/11 7:49:49PM

Posted by vomitshovel

I see no quantifiable way in which George could submit or Outstrike diaz. I see Diaz at WORST playing off his guard for 5 rounds and putting up sub attempt after sub attempt.
Diaz 2rd tko.
Would be a boxing clinic and i believe once you hit GSP hard in the face he'll go down quick.
Like someone said above if Pillow Fist Shields can do some damage diaz would tear his face apart.
Also dont take this as me underestimating GSP. The guy has amazing boxing and training with Freddie Roach on standup and John Danaher you definitely could win a UD over diaz

Have you seen Nick Diaz fight an elite wrestler? Well me neither, but he did get dominated by Joe Riggs...GSP is on an entirely different level, wrestling-wise than almost anyone in the sport.

Diaz couldn't submit GSP. No way, no how.
Lesnar1
5/1/11 7:52:54PM
Now Mr White is thinking this is obviously the best fight the WW division has to offer no one wants to see GSP beat up Fitch, Penn or Alves again lets get the hard nosed Nick Diaz in there who always brings it verbally and physically make it happen ufc.
Mhunt1140
5/2/11 12:02:46AM
With all do respect to Nick Diaz, I honestly do not think he will stand a chance against GSP. Let's just look at the facts here; looking at Diaz's fight with Daley - he was hurt badly in the first by Daley, yes Daley has KO power but to say that Diaz completely out-classed him on the feet would be wrong. Know I know GSP isn't the greatest standup fighter in the world but the man has incredible talent and is the smartest fighter we have ever seen.

Also many though that GSP would struggle against Shields because Jake is such a highly decorated grappler - that couldn't have been farther from the truth and GSP tossed him around like a rag doll getting a takedown whenever he wanted.

All this being said I truly believe that this fight with Shields proved that GSP is the best fighter in the world today (yes ahead of Anderson). The reason I say this is simple, we know exactly the type of fighter to beat Anderson, a strong wrestler with a solid chin that can take him down and grind him out. One of the key ingredients of most great champions is the ability to dictate where the fight takes place and no one is better at that than GSP. The only way to beat him is with a lucky punch!
UFC_Fanatic
5/2/11 4:09:17AM

Posted by Mhunt1140
One of the key ingredients of most great champions is the ability to dictate where the fight takes place and no one is better at that than GSP. The only way to beat him is with a lucky punch!

I still have Silva as best fighter in MMA, with GSP a very close second, and then Aldo as a very close third. Here's the thing with me, sure GSP dominates all his opponents, but he hasn't proved to be someone to truly be feared. You always know that at worst going into a fight with GSP, the guy fighting him will get beat up a little bit and get decisioned 50-45. With Silva the fighters have all kinds of things to fear and work on defending. He is a creative striker and he is relatively unpredictable in his stand up. He can and will KO anyone and everyone who tries to stand and trade with him. He can submit you off his back, which is a situation we haven't seen GSP in since his first fight with Serra, and spoiler alert, GSP got finished. I know he was hurt and that it's kinda hard to put up a defense when your brain is so scrambled that you think the first letter to spell the name Georges is a Q, but Silva is just more dangerous.

That said, I don't think the only way to beat GSP is by a lucky punch. Send GSP up to 185, and I know a lot of people will be calling be crazy for saying this, but I think that Sonnen would decision GSP 7 or 8 times out of 10, and I think Silva KOs GSP.
1daveufc
5/2/11 8:44:02AM

Posted by Makaveli158

post I made elsewhere....

Gsp Vs Diaz interesting...
On the feet I think Diaz would dismantle GSP, no question. After Diaz KO’d Daley and after what Shields did to GSP – I would put money on Diaz having a first round knock out. Nicks aggression and volume striking would overwhelm GSP and break him. And if by some miracle GSP made it outta the first round on the feet, there is no way in hell he would last 4 more vs Nick.

The ground aspect to this match is what makes it interesting. When Nick was in the UFC previously he shown that his kryptonite is vs strong wrestlers…..and GSP happens to be the best wrestler at Welterweight. However, Nick is a BJJ Wizard and could submit GSP or at least make him hesitant to go to the ground.

This is an excellent fight for DIAZ to have a chance to prove himself vs a wrestler, its been years since he has fought one and he has improved since then in many ways.

BJ PENN is a very good boxer as good as they come for a mma fighter and has BJJ skills thats off the chart and look what GSP done to him so a very much dout Diaz even comes close to doing anything with GSP.But a hope Diaz proves me wrong if the fight comes off cause am not the biggest GSP fan.
emfleek
5/2/11 9:31:33AM

Posted by vomitshovel

Diaz 2rd tko.

I'll do a lifetime avatar bet with you if this fight goes down.

kingsmasher
5/2/11 11:09:55AM
To all that say Nick Diaz is the better stand up Im gonna say your crazy...Why? because if you have good stand up you get in and out with combos like frankie Edgar does...You dont swing for the fences like Daley and Diaz did and catch a guy first...

Freddie Roach said before that BJ Penn had the best stand up in MMA and now he think s GSp has the best Jab...Im going with the guy who trains Manny paquiao not Nick Diaz trainer whos trying to get him killed in a boxing match...

This Nick diaz stand comments from his trainer up reminds me of Ed Soares saying everyone of his fighters are better on the ground...

I think Nick Diaz doesnt have the movement and what good stand up guy has he beat...I said good I would argue daley being good he has power but not good....

I think Thiago Alves would KO Diaz pretty easily...Diaz is marketable but if you fought him against Alves, Koscheck, Anothony Johnson, Rick Story Johnny Hendricks, Ellenberger...He might win one of those...

Hell I got Condit and Diaz as dead even..
Styles
5/2/11 11:14:33PM
I would really like to see Diaz/Penn.Both have really good boxing and both have slick BJJ. That would by far (IMO) that best match-up in that wieght class right now.
tn_rebel
5/4/11 5:43:47PM
This is the only 170 title fight that makes sense, and i would like to see it happen, but GSP has the potential to make any fight boring. GSP unanimous