Georges St. Pierre looking to train with Lyoto Machida

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St. Pierre looking to train with Lyoto Machida
emfleek
8/3/09 4:01:25PM
Coming off a dominating performance at the UFC’s most anticipated show ever, UFC 100, Georges St-Pierre has put a stamp on his weight class and is pondering a move up to seek new challenges.

With this prospect on his horizon, he is reaching out to another UFC Champion in Lyoto Machida due to one thing they have in common. It isn’t their UFC belts, rather their matching black belts in Karate.

STORY
postman
8/3/09 4:29:07PM
I was confused how this would go down but reading the whole thing brought it back to reality.
StorminYourman
8/3/09 4:54:00PM
those would be some sparring sessions i would love to watch
seanfu
8/3/09 5:06:04PM
And 20 bucks says now he can't fight Anderson.
postman
8/3/09 5:22:55PM

Posted by seanfu

And 20 bucks says now he can't fight Anderson.

If you read the story it says he would like to but talks of GSP moving up would make it less not likely.
Pookie
8/3/09 5:29:51PM
Machida's way of defending the takedown through movement would cause GSP's takedowns to get even better. BJ's balance was nulled by georges strength, and Thiago's strength and sprawl was nulled by Georges technique. Im really interested to see how he sets up his takedowns against someone as evasive as machida.

I doubt that it happens though, i think Anderson wants the fight with Georges eventually, and because of this i think Machida will simply decline the offer.
warglory
8/3/09 6:03:46PM
Is anyone else concerned that another top fighter would be able to find weaknesses in Machida's game and then seek to exploit it by passing that knowledge onto other fighters he will face in the future? Usually this isn't a big deal because most fighters have clear weaknesses, but with Machida, no one has been able to figure him out yet.
Pookie
8/3/09 6:10:01PM
On that same token any weaknesses that are exposed by say Georges, should be worked on by Machida and his camp.

Rush
8/3/09 6:41:12PM
I think the whole "if I train with fighter X I will learn their weaknesses" is a pile of crap, at least in this type of training set up. IMO these types of training sessions would be to learn from their strengths. Focusing on that you will get little or no chance to see their weaknesses. Added to which the door swings both ways
breakdown5
8/3/09 11:03:51PM

Posted by Pookie

I doubt that it happens though, i think Anderson wants the fight with Georges eventually, and because of this i think Machida will simply decline the offer.

My thoughts exactly. The chance of Machida helping GSP (with so much talk of a GSP/Silva fight) are slim. Georges is wise to want to try and pick up some technique from Machida.
slapshot
8/3/09 11:13:04PM

Posted by Rush

I think the whole "if I train with fighter X I will learn their weaknesses" is a pile of crap, at least in this type of training set up. IMO these types of training sessions would be to learn from their strengths. Focusing on that you will get little or no chance to see their weaknesses. Added to which the door swings both ways