Georges St.Pierre Back in Brazil to Train

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St.Pierre Back in Brazil to Train
kastro_316
9/12/08 12:30:23PM
DreamFighters.com

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St.Pierre is back in Brazil sharpening up his Jiu-Jitsu skills for his next fight.
DevonFoxy
9/12/08 12:43:03PM
This is good for GSP but I would feel better for him at least if he trained his striking because with Penn's take down defense thats where the fight will end up and Penn should be able to outstrike him clearly imo.
wiggum
9/12/08 12:51:28PM
i dont know if penn will clearly outstrike him...he did last time, but gsps striking was always good and its only gotten better.....dont get me wrong, my fav fighter in the world is penn...but ive said this before and ill say it again, there has never been more talent colliding in the history of the sport as there will be when these two meet again...penn outstruck him last time fer sure, and his hands are better and so is his head movement, but he primarily boxes...were as gsp has an extremely well rounded arsenal and better foot movement....power edge id give to penn, but gsps got power too, not enough to take out penn tho...on the ground i think its gonna be alot more even then people think...penn is gonna have the edge but gsps ground is just a small step below at this point.....such an even fight, cant wait......WAR PENN!!!
Bowen50
9/12/08 1:33:12PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

This is good for GSP but I would feel better for him at least if he trained his striking because with Penn's take down defense thats where the fight will end up and Penn should be able to outstrike him clearly imo.

GSP's striking is much improved from the last fight, there is no question about that. also in the first fight GSP was able to take Penn down. GSP's wrestling has only gotten better since then and i think GSP will be able to outsrike BJ and then take BJ down when he feels comfortable. GSP Round 3 TKO vis ground and pound.
DevonFoxy
9/12/08 2:07:13PM
I agree its improved but Penn's didn't get worse or stay the same as well. GSP uses kicks alot and if Penn gets GSP down from one of those kicks the fight can end rather quickly. I know GSP is hard to get down but Penn can do it.
Bowen50
9/12/08 2:10:32PM
i don't think Penn can get GSP down even if he catches a kick to be honest. plus with all this work GSP has been putting in on his BJJ he's going to be dangerous on the ground even to BJ. not saying he'll be better than BJ on the ground by any means i just think he poses a much even bigger threat than the last time around.
Porch28
9/12/08 2:17:57PM
Has anyone seen BJ training. Gsp isin for the beat down
DevonFoxy
9/12/08 2:22:49PM

Posted by Bowen50

i don't think Penn can get GSP down even if he catches a kick to be honest. plus with all this work GSP has been putting in on his BJJ he's going to be dangerous on the ground even to BJ. not saying he'll be better than BJ on the ground by any means i just think he poses a much even bigger threat than the last time around.

Agree to disagree I suppose I don't think theres anyway BJ will have trouble with GSP on the ground and if GSP gets it to the ground who knows whats going to happen there. Its a really bad match up for GSP imo but of course I could see GSP winning the fight. He is just outmatched everywhere imo.
Bowen50
9/12/08 2:31:34PM
haha looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree then
crushedbacon
9/12/08 2:40:22PM
GSP will use his size/strength to control BJ. I think GSP knows he could hang with Penn and throw bombs back and forth but.........BJ has quick hands and power. So why take the risk?
I see a dominate performance coming from GSP, full of take downs, sweeps and GnP. Elbows, blood shedding elbows all over Baby J's face. We'll see just how good BJ's take down D is when he fights GSP version 2008. Too big, too fast, too strong. After this fight BJ will be licking his own blood off the mat, cuz he ain't pulling that shit on the champ.

jocka
9/12/08 3:08:05PM
This fight is gonna be so good, its anyone's fight but i do feel that GSP is more well rounded that BJ. Bj has better boxing but GSP has better overall striking.

Take down and take down defense goes to GSP he was able to take him down before and he got at least 2 or 3 times better since last time i don t see BJ being able to stuff him down.

Now on the ground BJ has more skills no doubt about that, if BJ ends up on top outch i could see that being an issue, GSP needs to be careful not to get sweepted from the top position and use his awsome GnP to TKO Penn.

Overall this figt will go down as one of the best fight in history no doubt about that.
DevonFoxy
9/12/08 4:11:03PM

Posted by jocka

This fight is gonna be so good, its anyone's fight but i do feel that GSP is more well rounded that BJ. Bj has better boxing but GSP has better overall striking.

Take down and take down defense goes to GSP he was able to take him down before and he got at least 2 or 3 times better since last time i don t see BJ being able to stuff him down.

Now on the ground BJ has more skills no doubt about that, if BJ ends up on top outch i could see that being an issue, GSP needs to be careful not to get sweepted from the top position and use his awsome GnP to TKO Penn.

Overall this figt will go down as one of the best fight in history no doubt about that.

Watch the Gomi/Penn fight and tell me that GSP is a better striker. GSP has never faced a striker like Gomi and imo Penn outstuck him the entire fight.

When he fought Penn the first time in the first round before BJ gassed he completely picked apart GSP on the feet. So I would have to disagree with on the outstriking comment but I do agree this fight is going to at the very least epic.
ncordless
9/12/08 4:40:42PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by jocka

Watch the Gomi/Penn fight and tell me that GSP is a better striker. GSP has never faced a striker like Gomi and imo Penn outstuck him the entire fight.

When he fought Penn the first time in the first round before BJ gassed he completely picked apart GSP on the feet. So I would have to disagree with on the outstriking comment but I do agree this fight is going to at the very least epic.

It's funny, because if you watch Gomi/Penn and Diaz/Gomi you come to the conclusion that Gomi's striking is pretty overrated. Gomi has trouble with people who throw straight.
jocka
9/12/08 4:54:32PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by jocka

Actually i saw the fight with gomi. But my point was that GSP is a overall better striker meaning he uses superman puches, leg kicks, he kicks well his foot work is awsome and he is so explosive but BJ hands are better but bj doesn't use his feet thats why i say that.
crushedbacon
9/12/08 5:08:57PM

It's funny, because if you watch Gomi/Penn and Diaz/Gomi you come to the conclusion that Gomi's striking is pretty overrated. Gomi has trouble with people who throw straight.

agreed 100% gomi's striking ridiculously overrated