Georges St-Pierre to drop title, take indefinite leave from MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St-Pierre to drop title, take indefinite leave from MMA
« Previous Page
UFC_Fanatic
12/14/13 2:04:12AM

Posted by Dberntson

All I can say is that it was an honor watching that man fight. He always showed respect in and outside of the cage. A true professional. He is the greatest WW of all time and arguably the greatest fighter of all time. His statistics and record speak for itself. Hopefully we will get to see him fight again, but if not, although I'm disappointed to see him go, I'm glad he is going out on his own terms and leaving as champion.

His lack of finishes during his tenure as champ, right or wrong, is why Silva, and not GSP, will be remembered as the GOAT. Nothing says dominance like putting peoples lights out in the eyes of the masses.
Webbie
12/14/13 2:58:05AM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Dberntson

All I can say is that it was an honor watching that man fight. He always showed respect in and outside of the cage. A true professional. He is the greatest WW of all time and arguably the greatest fighter of all time. His statistics and record speak for itself. Hopefully we will get to see him fight again, but if not, although I'm disappointed to see him go, I'm glad he is going out on his own terms and leaving as champion.

His lack of finishes during his tenure as champ, right or wrong, is why Silva, and not GSP, will be remembered as the GOAT. Nothing says dominance like putting peoples lights out in the eyes of the masses.

That's debatable. It's all a matter of opinion. GSP's the only fighter to have ever won 33 consecutive rounds in the UFC, so that's pretty dominant no matter how you look at it.

GSP will always be right there as one of the top two or three pound for pound fighters of all time. Anyone who disagrees is just being stubborn.
FlashyG
12/14/13 3:11:55AM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Dberntson

If Anderson beats Weidman in the rematch than I agree 100% but should he lose, I think GSP's case as the GOAT is better, having retired while still on top with the belt and with no unanswered losses. Regardless of whether the wins were KO's, Submissions or decisions, its far more impressive to me to retire with your record unblemished than it is to go out on a string of losses.

Really though its just a matter of opinion and both are worthy of that title.
isk
12/14/13 3:36:18AM
For sure, it depends on what you prioritize.

1) Consistent, surgical, sometimes tedious control, OR

2) Inconsistent, flashy, exciting explosions

Silva turned in snoozers, too. Maia, Cote, & Leites are among the least entertaining title fights I've seen in any combat sport. And lest we forget, GSP was an acrobatic destroyer before the Serra loss.

For me, there's no clear victor, and I like it that way.
infestructure
12/14/13 5:26:11PM
You can't be the greatest if you can't finish, I'm sorry.
Webbie
12/14/13 6:06:45PM

Posted by infestructure

You can't be the greatest if you can't finish, I'm sorry.

We get it. You hate GSP.

Pages: 1 [2]