George Sotiropoulos is one fight away from a Title Fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » George Sotiropoulos is one fight away from a Title Fight
jjeans
9/7/10 1:39:50PM
George Sotiropoulos is one fight away from setting up a dream UFC world title fight in Sydney next February. Geelong-born Sotiropoulos will face either B.J. Penn or Kenny Florian in a lightweight title eliminator in November, and victory would likely earn him a bout for the championship belt when the UFC returns to Sydney next year. Frankie Edgar defended his title against Penn last weekend, and will take on Gray Maynard later this year. Sotiropoulos is confident of claiming the belt against whoever wins. ''I see [Edgar's] strengths and weaknesses, and I look at how my strengths and weaknesses match up against his and I've got a lot of confidence in myself,'' said Sotiropoulos, who is 6-0 in the UFC.

LINK

All i'm going to say is: At last, especially after Dan Hardys comments on him

Give him KenFlo, he seems to choke in big matches......
Pookie
9/7/10 1:44:19PM
I think he may be able to beat Kenny, working for that takedown is going to be everything for him. But i see Bj destroying him if thats the fight. The knock on Sotirop will always be his shiftable chin. He's going to have a tough tough fight against any great sprawl and brawlers like a Chuck(minus the weight difference) or a BJ.
BigBadAl
9/7/10 1:50:50PM
Kenny Florian in a lightweight title eliminator......Again

Kenny has had more than a few chances to take the belt. Give someone else a chance already.

I do hope George gets a shot at the belt. He is well capable of taking it in my opinion.
Pookie
9/7/10 2:01:33PM

Posted by BigBadAl

I do hope George gets a shot at the belt. He is well capable of taking it in my opinion.

I agree, he matches up fairly decent with Edgar, and even better against maynard.

However, i dont know if he's going to be able to hold onto the belt if he gets it. The styles towards the top are dominant wrestlers which play towards his strengths, but just below that tier are dominant strikers that might just take his cookies.
xtinax3
9/7/10 3:25:39PM

Posted by BigBadAl

Kenny has had more than a few chances to take the belt. Give someone else a chance already.

For real how about if he fights Kenny or BJ and beats them he fights the winner of Dunham vs Sherk..or is that too soon for them to fight in november?

How about he just chills and fights the winner of them...Kenny and BJ can fight other people...not sure who...Gomi for BJ? Pelligrino or Tyson for Kenny? I AM TIRED OF KENNY GETTING title eliminator matches!!!!
jjeans
9/7/10 4:34:50PM
BJ even if he were to beat George (in that fight i think he would) does anybody really want to see Edgar BJ 3 (if thats the case)

I am not suggesting i want KenFlo in another No#1 Contender shot fight, but i'd rather see George KenFlo as i believe this would be the easier path for George for his (much deserved) title shot
BlueSkiesBurn
9/7/10 4:46:51PM
I swear to god, if they give B.J. a number one contenders match while Edgar is champ, I will stop caring about the LW division.
emfleek
9/7/10 4:51:22PM
Read the article, guys. BJ's not the #1 contender. We don't know if George is "1 fight away" from a title shot or not.

This is a writer's opinion. Not news.

Moved the Lounge.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/7/10 5:03:30PM

Posted by emfleek

Read the article, guys. BJ's not the #1 contender. We don't know if George is "1 fight away" from a title shot or not.

This is a writer's opinion. Not news.

Moved the Lounge.

I did, my comment was just a generalization. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if they did.
jae_1833
9/7/10 7:03:48PM

Posted by BigBadAl

I like this! It's time to shake that division up, there are a group of good up and comers who are ready to challenge the old gaurd and make for some interesting fights.....Dunham, George, Miller, Tibau, etc....Kenny, and BJ need to regroup and make a full legitimate re-run at the title. Same with Sherk if he losses.