For general self-defense / real world situations...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » For general self-defense / real world situations...
« Previous Page
Rush
3/20/08 9:55:53AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

...would you train judo or JJ? Already have a boxing instructor lined up to compliment whichever of the aforementioned skillsets is most practical (I think this is the right way to go?).

Is your boxing trainer Little Mac BTW?
The_Notorious_ZIG
3/20/08 10:56:21AM
Just a couple of additional thoughts: Great detailed and well thought out posts by the way!! As for the palm strikes, eye gouges and groin strikes, from what I understand about the training, they are used in combination to gain the upper hand on your attacker by disorienting them or getting them off balance in order to overwhealm them with more punishing or lethal strikes. Ex: a groin strike, whether it is a direct hit or not, will typically cause your attacker to drop his hands and bend forward opening the opportunity for knee strikes to the head/face and/or elbows to the base of the skulle or back of the head. Eye gouges will typically disorient your attacker and/or get them moving backwards to open up take down or striking opportunities. The main goal is to overwhealm your attacker in order to disable them and/or get
away.

It definitely should be mentioned that Krav Maga definitely employs closed fist punches, kicks, knees and elbows. Also, I will say that just like any other martial art or fighting system there our so called "Krav Maga schools" that are just not up to par and/or geared toward taking money from soccer mom's.

As for any flaws in the stances taught in Krav Maga, I can't speak with any knowledge on that and will just have to trust the posters that clearly have more experience than I do.

ncordless
3/20/08 1:13:11PM
I think Rush hit upon a very important point with his story at the end of his post. Any training that prepares you mentally and physically for hand-to-hand combat situations is going to give you a leg up over 95% of the population.

Svartorm
3/20/08 2:50:29PM
Absolutely. Thats why I'm a huge advocate of full-contact training, as once you get some skills under your belt, it helps you out to learn to apply these in crisis situations.
Mastodon2
3/20/08 2:57:42PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

From what i know of Krav Maga I like the usage palms fist and elbows along with the footwork to keep the blind spots open

Boxing in comparison is not even a combat system and is extreamly one demensional..... But added with some decent Judo skills i could see it protecting your family

Boxing is not a combat system? Crazy!

Sure a lot of higher techniques are only useful in the ring, for example, you won't see many catch / jab / parry / hook / catch / straight combos in the street, but the fundamentals of boxing teach a man plenty to defend himself. Maybes in the K-1 ring boxing alone will see you demolised, but I'd take someone with a few months boxing training over an untrained guy anyday. You think its not a combat system, ironically, a boxer's ungloved jab on the street will KO people and break facial bones, and thats just his jab. I have said time and time again that boxing isn't enough for the K-1 ring, we've all seen boxers getting chewed out, but on the street, being able to throw and dodge punches properly is a fantastic asset, and no one can teach you to do this better than a pure boxing coach.
Svartorm
3/21/08 12:57:21AM
I have dial-up and I'm not going to bother finding it, but theres a clip of an amateur boxer in Turkey fighting 10 guys in a street fight and knocking them all out just by backing up and hitting them with jab cross combos.
Jackelope
3/21/08 2:57:54AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8i95CNhNaM

Is this the video you're referring to?

Anyway, I thought I'd pipe in real quick by basically agreeing with the statements made here.

Mental mindset makes 100% of the difference in any given fight. I think the major problem with the McDojo is that it doesn't train the mental game. There is 0 substitute for getting your ass suited up in pads every day you're in there and going to town with somebody.

For examples look at St. Pierre/Hughes 2 and 3. St. Pierre's mindset made all the difference in those fights.

Another thing - You can train the techniques in the air all day long, but I guarantee you it wouldn't give you half the knowledge that training the techniques on a real live human being for only a quarter of the day would.
SmileR
3/23/08 1:11:14AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Boxing is not a combat system? Crazy!

Sure a lot of higher techniques are only useful in the ring, for example, you won't see many catch / jab / parry / hook / catch / straight combos in the street, but the fundamentals of boxing teach a man plenty to defend himself. Maybes in the K-1 ring boxing alone will see you demolised, but I'd take someone with a few months boxing training over an untrained guy anyday. You think its not a combat system, ironically, a boxer's ungloved jab on the street will KO people and break facial bones, and thats just his jab. I have said time and time again that boxing isn't enough for the K-1 ring, we've all seen boxers getting chewed out, but on the street, being able to throw and dodge punches properly is a fantastic asset, and no one can teach you to do this better than a pure boxing coach.

I don't intend on dragging this argument back up if its dead an buried but i couldn't agree more with what you have said!
I'v been boxing since i was around 12 and I'm 21 now. In all that time i have never found myself in a situation where i couldn't get out of it solely relying on my boxing training.
You have to remember 99% of the people on the streets looking to start trouble are untrained an very unskilled.
I go to university and the house i live in now is in quite a bad area, the first week i moved in two men tried to mug me at the top of my road.
The fact that i could dodge the wild punches they were swinging allows you enough time to catch them off balance an run, but the training i'v had allowed me to put a stop to any further chance of danger.

As to the original TS question i'd pick Judo, it allows you to remain standing while your attacker is thrown to the floor.
The shock of being manhandled like that would probably be enough to frighten them off anyway.
I'v been doing Judo for a little over a year now and i personally love it!
Now i'm home for easter though my dad isn't to happy because he keeps eating carpet when he comes at me!
Svartorm
3/23/08 12:49:08PM

Posted by SmileR

Now i'm home for easter though my dad isn't to happy because he keeps eating carpet when he comes at me!

Um.......I know your from the UK, so maybe you don't know this, but "eating carpet" means something WAY different than what you're talking about.
Rush
3/23/08 1:31:21PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by SmileR

Um.......I know your from the UK, so maybe you don't know this, but "eating carpet" means something WAY different than what you're talking about.

LMAO. I was thinking the same thing. There is more than one thing wrong with that statement, while we're on the topic of being dirty.
SmileR
3/23/08 7:02:33PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by SmileR

LMAO. I was thinking the same thing. There is more than one thing wrong with that statement, while we're on the topic of being dirty.

Haha you guys have filth on your mind!
I meant to say he can't box with me any more as i can throw him to the ground!
I hope to god thats not sexual!
Pages: 1 [2]