Gegard Mousasi Confirms 11/7 CBS Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gegard Mousasi Confirms 11/7 CBS Fight
DCRage
10/7/09 11:27:23AM
As expected newly crowned Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Gegard Mousasi will, in fact, defend his belt at Strikeforce's Nov. 7 event, which airs on CBS. He was expected to be on the card and confirmed his participation via M-1 Global. No challenger named yet.

Article
Wallass
10/7/09 12:07:23PM
Is there really any challengers for him? Matt Lindland or Mke Whitehead maybe? Not many options, and even fewer people that could actually beat him.
State_Champ
10/7/09 12:41:29PM
I wish Mousasi was on CBS with some better competition.
But I suppose the casual fan is just fine watching lesser fighters get demolished by skilled combatants such as Fedor and Mousasi....

Outside the UFC I just don't see many challenges for him at 205.
DCRage
10/7/09 12:43:00PM
If you believe certain sites that I don't trust, the rumor mills suggest Paulo Filho or Sokoudjou, but Filho's scheduled to fight on 10/25 for DREAM. And of course the nuthuggers are begging for Muhammad Lawal.
Giant_Ochai
10/7/09 12:54:27PM

Posted by DCRage

If you believe certain sites that I don't trust, the rumor mills suggest Paulo Filho or Sokoudjou, but Filho's scheduled to fight on 10/25 for DREAM. And of course the nuthuggers are begging for Muhammad Lawal.

What nuthuggers? Are you insulting an entire group of people? Why wouldn't anyone want to see Mousasi/Lawal?
higdon10
10/7/09 12:58:12PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by DCRage

What nuthuggers? Are you insulting an entire group of people? Why wouldn't anyone want to see Mousasi/Lawal?

Yeah, who wouldnt want to see that fight.
Wallass
10/7/09 1:53:38PM
I would rather see him face Filho more then King Mo.
buell613
10/7/09 1:55:54PM
Soku or Lawal gets my votes
Mayhem13
10/7/09 2:26:38PM
I think it will be Sokodjou
MMA-San
10/7/09 2:46:18PM
I was looking forward to his fight with Soko
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/7/09 3:08:35PM
Well If Mousasi is fighting on the 7th and it looks like he is
I hope his competition is decent- Sokodjou is alright, likely 1st rd sub by Mousasi
Filho would be more credibility earning for him but Muhammed Lawal would be very exciting

or maybe Mousasi could just fight all 3 ??
bjj1605
10/7/09 3:30:59PM
LHW division outside of the UFC= irrelevant. Who really cares?
cowcatcher
10/7/09 3:53:53PM

Posted by bjj1605

mma fans as opposed to ufc fans
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/7/09 5:26:08PM

Posted by bjj1605

Mousasi would beat a number of ufc LHW i can think of off the top of my head.

Posted by cowcatcher

mma fans as opposed to ufc fans

Well said
State_Champ
10/7/09 5:30:12PM
please don't let this fight be against Filho....I'd much rather see him fight King Mo or Soku.
machodog76
10/7/09 5:32:53PM

Posted by DCRage

Does King Mo have alot of, "nut huggers"? As a side note I hate the term nut hugger, MMA has enough quasi-gay aspects and terminology already.
prozacnation1978
10/7/09 6:47:46PM
unless they sign ricardo arona only person i could see is sokoujou
hotrodttt
10/7/09 7:56:56PM
I would love to see Mousasi vs Robbie Lawler for CBS, It would be a guerenteed slugfest but a technical slugfest at that. It would give casual fans a look at how deep the talent pool is outside of the ufc and it could draw more fans in which could really help the sport.
IriShame
10/7/09 8:57:58PM

Posted by hotrodttt

I would love to see Mousasi vs Robbie Lawler for CBS, It would be a guerenteed slugfest but a technical slugfest at that. It would give casual fans a look at how deep the talent pool is outside of the ufc and it could draw more fans in which could really help the sport.

That would be a fantastic match up. What weight class would they fight at though? I think Mousasi said he can no longer make the cut to 185 and Robbie isn't a big 185er. 205 might be a stretch for the former WW. Maybe at a catch weight of 195? Which coincidentally is a weight that's producing a lot of exciting fights as of late. New division?
hotrodttt
10/7/09 9:47:18PM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by hotrodttt

That would be a fantastic match up. What weight class would they fight at though? I think Mousasi said he can no longer make the cut to 185 and Robbie isn't a big 185er. 205 might be a stretch for the former WW. Maybe at a catch weight of 195? Which coincidentally is a weight that's producing a lot of exciting fights as of late. New division?

Yeah I like the way you think 195 is pretty high for Robbie though as you know that he did fight at ww, but 190 wouldn't be a bad weight for a fight between the two.
NatedawgThaM
10/7/09 11:09:06PM
I wanna see Kevin Randleman tear his ass up.
bjj1605
10/7/09 11:25:55PM
I didn't say Mousasi wasn't a good fighter and I am absolutely an MMA fan not just a UFC fan. I'm going to this fight as a matter of fact. I just think if Gegard wants to be proven a top ten LHW he needs to fight in the UFC. You can make a name for yourself out side the UFC. You can even make the top ten in most weight classes, but WW and LHW are unquestionably a different world in the UFC than in other organizations.
EliasG
10/8/09 2:15:15AM
I wouldn't mind Fihlo with all the bad blood between them lately. It's not bad to have those kinds of grudge matches going on....of course, it's just hype but it's fun.
DCRage
10/8/09 5:14:24AM
Slight change of plans. Mousasi is still fighting but SF now says it's a NON-TITLE match. SF also confirmed the opponent is not going to be Lawal.
cowcatcher
10/8/09 10:25:49AM

Posted by DCRage

Slight change of plans. Mousasi is still fighting but SF now says it's a NON-TITLE match. SF also confirmed the opponent is not going to be Lawal.

not doubting you, just wanted to know what your source was because with king mo out of the fight with randleman it would make sense that he gets gegard.
DCRage
10/8/09 10:28:58AM
Junkie.

Article
cowcatcher
10/8/09 10:30:51AM

Posted by DCRage

Junkie.

Article

thanks man, havent gotten over there yet today.
DCRage
10/9/09 11:45:27AM
Now we know his likely opponent: Sokoudjou.

Article

Remember, folks: NON-TITLE.