Gegard Mousasi

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Gegard Mousasi
Hendo67
8/16/09 5:36:37AM
Seriously, he was absolutely gold tonight against his toughest fight yet. He made a veteran and arguably one of the top 10 LHW's in the world look like a child.

Discuss...
(I'm just tired of all the Carano talk)
Jimbo
8/16/09 6:23:08AM
yeh hes a superstar, BIG future ahead of him.

hes got the really calm Fedor composure, quite shy and quiet, looks abit sad or depressed, then just explodes on his opponent. Then afterward he acts like nothing happened, sure you can tell hes happy inside but theres no huge Lesnar-like celebration.

I like those kind of fighters

Also showed great class when he realised Babalu was out cold and stopped, he did the same against Jacare aswell.

big thumbs up for "the Dream Catcher"
StriderXero
8/16/09 7:47:51AM
At only the age of 24 he's going to grow even more as a fighter........that's f'ing scary. That's 10 years younger than Anderson!

I might get flamed for this but i think by the time he reaches Anderson's age, he might be considered better than a prime Anderson, or Fedor.

Gegard is still showing emotions, but he's getting to the point where he wont show any emotions at all.
When they were introducing him, he looked like a annoyed kid at the mall with his mom.

I was watching the fight with my sister and bro-in-law, and my sister was like "WTF is up with that guy, he looks so uninterested" "for being unterested he's going to get whooped"

I was like

when the fight was over she was like
and i was like
whardin19
8/16/09 10:27:41AM
Mousasi is a BEAST!!! That's the first fight I've seen him live in and he just destroyed Babalu. But I'm definetally not sold on him being the best ever someday. Babalu isn't known for having the best chin in fights and he made a mistake getting his head caught against the cage. So great fight for Mousasi and he's definetally going to be a top 10 LHW soon.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/16/09 10:53:39AM
Can't wait till this guy gets to the ufc...does everyone realize that he won the dream 185 title, now the strikeforce 205 title and likely will win the dream HW title, 3 titles in 3 weight classes, the guy is ...something else
sclasclemski
8/16/09 11:11:25AM
I think all his success and jumping around warrants him being on the p4p list
ncordless
8/16/09 12:10:13PM
The LHW is constantly regenerating itself. Mousasi, Mo Lawal, Cane, and Jon Jones are just the latest crop to start to come of age. It will be interesting to see how they progress as fighters. Lyoto, Rampage, Forrest, Anderson and Rashad have taken the division away from the old guard that was Chuck, Wandy, Arona, Randy, Hendo and the rest. It will be interesting to see how, when these young fighters come of age, they stack up against the current elite who will by then be in the twilight of their careers.

jae_1833
8/16/09 2:40:01PM
A lot of the newer LHWs are making a huge impact. I feel for my boy, but we all know that he is really just a great LHW Gatekeeper, never did look like the Champion. I stand by him thick or thin though.....I have been thinking for a while now that he should drop to 185Lbs, tone up, get some speed and train up his striking if he wants to be a true Champion. He could be a monster at MW.
Nightmare27
8/16/09 3:08:13PM
Mousasi was impressive. Would like to see him pull of the Dream Super Hulk Tournament also. Hopefully Soku gives him a better fight than Babalu did.
slapshot
8/16/09 3:15:22PM
Mousasi looked good but I still have questions, he has some quality wins but none of them are top ten fighters and I think its extremely hard to bust into the top ten as a fighter outside the UFC.

He looks like a good fighter thats going to be around for a wile no doubt but whether or not he's a elite fighter, I dont think we can tell till he fights someone in the top ten and that would require him signing with the UFC.

He beat Babalu convincingly but now what? I guess he's going to have to wait and see if strikeforce can entice some top fighters from the UFC's clutches. Sometimes it sucks seeing how strong the UFC's monopoly over professional MMA is.
sclasclemski
8/16/09 4:39:55PM
I feel Babalu is/was a top ten lhw...and not only that but he did to babalu what only few had done to him before...KO...to say that Gegard isn't top ten worthy I think is just giving the UFC fighters a hair too much credit...I think Mousasi would destroy Jardine...whom most consider in the top ten....and after Forrest's last performance I wouldn't be so sure that Gegard wouldn't overwelm him as well...where he stands in the top ten is easily debateable...but to say he doesn't belong there is just silly....I just can't wait to see where he is in a few years
slapshot
8/16/09 5:30:21PM

Posted by sclasclemski

I feel Babalu is/was a top ten lhw...and not only that but he did to babalu what only few had done to him before...KO...to say that Gegard isn't top ten worthy I think is just giving the UFC fighters a hair too much credit...I think Mousasi would destroy Jardine...whom most consider in the top ten....and after Forrest's last performance I wouldn't be so sure that Gegard wouldn't overwelm him as well...where he stands in the top ten is easily debateable...but to say he doesn't belong there is just silly....I just can't wait to see where he is in a few years

Really? He's not ranked top 15 in most ranking, not that I put a lot of weight in rankings. I dont think you can rank him top ten till he fights a top ten fighter and Babalu is very questionable.

Its not about who you "think" he can beat its about who he has beat and at this point it is absolutely to early to rank him top ten for beating one quality fighter at 205.

This is a ranking before the fight and you'll notice Babalu is ranked 10th here. (I disagree)
1 Lyoto Machida 100 UFC 1
2 Quinton Jackson 94 UFC 3
3 Rashad Evans 93 UFC 2
4 Forrest Griffin 86 UFC 4
5 Mauricio Rua 84 UFC 5
6 Keith Jardine 67 UFC 6
7 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira 62 Affliction 8
8 Luiz Cane 61 UFC 10
9 Renato Sobral 58 Strikeforce/Affliction 9
10 Rich Franklin 52 UFC 14
11 Dan Henderson 41 UFC 13
12 Wanderlei Silva 38 UFC 7
13 Thiago Silva 34 UFC 11
14 Chuck Liddell 34 UFC 11
15 Tito Ortiz 21 Unsigned 15
16 Vladimir Matyushenko 21 Free Agent 16
17 Matt Hamill 21 UFC 17
18 Mike Whitehead 20 Strikeforce 28
19 Brandon Vera 19 UFC 18
19 Krzysztof Soszynski 19 UFC 27
21 Jason Brilz 17 UFC 23
22 Muhammed Lawal 17 WVR 25
23 Mark Coleman 16 UFC 30
24 Jared Hamman 16 Strikeforce 24
25 Mamed Khalidov 16 Konfrontacja 30

Looking at all the UFC fighters in this list I still feel he's not quite up to par at this point with 3/4 of the list. Thats not to say he wont get there at some point.
link
scobac
8/16/09 6:35:52PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by sclasclemski

Really? He's not ranked top 15 in most ranking, not that I put a lot of weight in rankings. I dont think you can rank him top ten till he fights a top ten fighter and Babalu is very questionable.

Its not about who you "think" he can beat its about who he has beat and at this point it is absolutely to early to rank him top ten for beating one quality fighter at 205.

This is a ranking before the fight and you'll notice Babalu is ranked 10th here. (I disagree)
1 Lyoto Machida 100 UFC 1
2 Quinton Jackson 94 UFC 3
3 Rashad Evans 93 UFC 2
4 Forrest Griffin 86 UFC 4
5 Mauricio Rua 84 UFC 5
6 Keith Jardine 67 UFC 6
7 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira 62 Affliction 8
8 Luiz Cane 61 UFC 10
9 Renato Sobral 58 Strikeforce/Affliction 9
10 Rich Franklin 52 UFC 14
11 Dan Henderson 41 UFC 13
12 Wanderlei Silva 38 UFC 7
13 Thiago Silva 34 UFC 11
14 Chuck Liddell 34 UFC 11
15 Tito Ortiz 21 Unsigned 15
16 Vladimir Matyushenko 21 Free Agent 16
17 Matt Hamill 21 UFC 17
18 Mike Whitehead 20 Strikeforce 28
19 Brandon Vera 19 UFC 18
19 Krzysztof Soszynski 19 UFC 27
21 Jason Brilz 17 UFC 23
22 Muhammed Lawal 17 WVR 25
23 Mark Coleman 16 UFC 30
24 Jared Hamman 16 Strikeforce 24
25 Mamed Khalidov 16 Konfrontacja 30

Looking at all the UFC fighters in this list I still feel he's not quite up to par at this point with 3/4 of the list. Thats not to say he wont get there at some point.
link

I would put Mousasi in the top 12 being 11 or 12. It is hard to break into the top ten fighting outside of the ufc, but I have to disagree about it only being who you fought to determine a fighters rank. We base p4p on potential and what if's and I personally add that into my regular ranking equation just not as much as I do for p4p. I would also say Sobral was a top ten. I put A. Silva in the top 5 of LHW and I think most people do, based on just who he fought would put him much much lower on the list but we all know he should be a higher ranked LHW.
Nightmare27
8/16/09 6:42:01PM
Actually Babalu is 9th on your list there. Rankings systems in MMA are always debateable. For example why is Frankling 10 ahead of Hendo? Henderson just beat Rich at UFC 94.
joshryanshepherd
8/16/09 7:47:41PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Actually Babalu is 9th on your list there. Rankings systems in MMA are always debateable. For example why is Frankling 10 ahead of Hendo? Henderson just beat Rich at UFC 94.

im more concerned as to why Anderson isnt on there at all. and you mean 93 lol
Nightmare27
8/16/09 7:50:25PM
You sir are correct, I do mean UFC 93.
Wolfenstein
8/16/09 10:39:15PM
I had some questions regarding just how legit he was, but he promptly erased them, and for sure deserves some p4p consideration at this point.

I nearly shat myself when Frank's keys to victory came up, and he said the key to victory was the sidemount and armbar for Gegard. I was like, "No way is Mousasi going to take this to the ground". Then suddenly there it is, he's in side control teeing off.
breakdown5
8/16/09 11:17:49PM
I think Mousasi is legit and if (when) he comes to the UFC, he'll definitely be a serious threat to whoever is standing in front of him. He looked to be really on point in his last fight and put a good fighter down like he was an amatuer.

slapshot
8/16/09 11:36:14PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Thank you Mr Obvious...

Posted by scobac
I would put Mousasi in the top 12 being 11 or 12. It is hard to break into the top ten fighting outside of the ufc, but I have to disagree about it only being who you fought to determine a fighters rank. We base p4p on potential and what if's and I personally add that into my regular ranking equation just not as much as I do for p4p. I would also say Sobral was a top ten. I put A. Silva in the top 5 of LHW and I think most people do, based on just who he fought would put him much much lower on the list but we all know he should be a higher ranked LHW.

The only way to evaluate "what if's" and "potential" is to see a fighter fight stiff competition especially in the context we are talking here, which is ranking a fighter in the top ten.

I personally dont like these ranking at all and its part of why I picked it. Once you look at the fighters in this top 25 two things should become clear at least in my mind.

A. Sobral was not a top ten LHW fighter, I can easily find quite a few guys that deserve thee last two spots more than him.
B. Mousasi has not fought anyone on this list other than Sobral so how the heck can one rank him top ten as of right now?

Nuthuggery is the only explanation I can come up with. Dont get me wrong I'm 99% sure he will get into the top ten if he can find the right opponents and I think he's loaded with potential but you have to have more substance to rank someone so high IMO.

Sinister
8/17/09 12:34:50AM
I disagree Sobral was before that fight/ is a top 10 LHW but it could be a good arguement Mousasi is in the bottom 10 after this victory. Great for his career.
telnights
8/17/09 5:40:37AM
I don't think it hurts to Rank him in the top ten at about 10. But I disagree very much with Sobral being a top 10 at the time of this fight. The list of fighters that most see as being better than Sobral is fairly long and more than 10.

Lyoto Machida
Quinton Jackson
Rashad Evans
Mauricio Rua
Luis Arthur Cane
Dan Henderson
Forrest Griffin
Thiago Silva
Anderson Silva
Forrest Griffin
Chuck Liddell
Wanderlei Silva
Keith Jardine
Tito Ortiz
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

That's 15 fighters right there I would say could beat Sobral 9 out of 10 times at LHW. There a few other up and comers I could add as well that I feel could beat Sobral. (Like say Jon Jones)

Even if you rank Gegard in the top10 can he really go any higher in StrikeForce? I would rather rank a fighter that has other top 10s to fight and has a chance of moving up in the rankings. But that's just me.
RhythmAndStyle
8/17/09 1:46:52PM
this guy got a really big future ahead of him..he shows alot of class..and i dig the fact that he only wants to fight the best out there..and plus i thought it was pretty cool of him to stop the assault on Babalu when he realized that he was ko'd..StrikeForce got some good fighters for Mousasi to fight..interestin to see how well he gonna do against the rest of SF's roster...
sclasclemski
8/17/09 4:59:40PM
I think he will role through the rest of Strikeforces roster as it stands today...but seriously...Mousasi has finished all but two of his wins...if he were in the UFC right now there would be no question from anyone he's top ten...top ten is mythical just like p4p until its all just one league where everyone competes together like the NBA or NAscar...so until he gets knocked off...IMO!!!!! Mousasi is in my top ten for LHW...
Sinister
8/19/09 6:31:49PM

Posted by telnights

I don't think it hurts to Rank him in the top ten at about 10. But I disagree very much with Sobral being a top 10 at the time of this fight. The list of fighters that most see as being better than Sobral is fairly long and more than 10.

Lyoto Machida
Quinton Jackson
Rashad Evans
Mauricio Rua
Luis Arthur Cane
Dan Henderson
Forrest Griffin
Thiago Silva
Anderson Silva
Forrest Griffin
Chuck Liddell
Wanderlei Silva
Keith Jardine
Tito Ortiz
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

That's 15 fighters right there I would say could beat Sobral 9 out of 10 times at LHW. There a few other up and comers I could add as well that I feel could beat Sobral. (Like say Jon Jones)

Even if you rank Gegard in the top10 can he really go any higher in StrikeForce? I would rather rank a fighter that has other top 10s to fight and has a chance of moving up in the rankings. But that's just me.

He cant and thats going to be the story around him. Is he going to end up like most strikeforce title holders and never defend it or is he going to leave and sign with the best LHW division.

He can only go down in the rankings no with Strikeforce