8/26/08 3:26:36AM

Posted by mrkennedy

HW=Maybe Heath Herring
LHW=Wilson Gouveia
MW=Jason Macdonald
WW=Chris Lytle or Josh Burkman
LW=Spencer Fisher

give me your oppinion

I would tend to agree except maybe at LWT, and definitely at LHWT. I would say Guida instead of Fisher probably, and Bonnar at LHVY. Gouvea is moving to 185 last I heard, and I think he will be a contender at that weight . Despite his loss at 205 I still think he had top 6-10 abilty there. All the rest I'm with you.
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/26/08 3:32:25AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mrkennedy

HW=Maybe Heath Herring
LHW=Wilson Gouveia
MW=Jason Macdonald
LW=Spencer Fisher

give me your oppinion

I would tend to agree except maybe at LWT, and definitely at LHWT. I would say Guida instead of Fisher probably, and Bonnar at LHVY. Gouvea is moving to 185 last I heard, and I think he will be a contender at that weight . Despite his loss at 205 I still think he had top 6-10 abilty there. All the rest I'm with you.

i like bonner at lhw too
lambert at mw seems good to me
Gipper
8/26/08 3:47:26AM

give me your oppinion

i'll tell ya one thing buddy. clay guida is a lot more then just a gate keeper in the lw division. he will challenge for a title one day. mark my words. GIPPER.

DCRage
8/26/08 10:10:39AM
HW-Gonzaga or Kongo
LHW-Not sure
MW-Franklin
WW-Parisyan
LW-Stevenson
StevenSeagal
8/26/08 11:23:40AM

Posted by mrkennedy

HW=Maybe Heath Herring
LHW=Wilson Gouveia
MW=Jason Macdonald
LW=Spencer Fisher

give me your oppinion

I think ur right on man. someone posted Gonzaga... hes not much higher than gatekeeper but not keeper in my mind. Hes like the butler,,, opens the door after the kepper lets him in lol

someone also put stevenson...?? give the guy some more losses before hes relegated to keeper status... Hes like a 2-3 bad fights away from keeper. Id say the same with Guida and Karo. Close but not quite there... Thought keepers were ones that noobs cant beat and top dudes could... i dont see many noobs taking out Guida or Karo easily...
wiggum
8/26/08 11:44:55AM
top 10 fighters cant be gatekeepers...gatekeepers are usually veterens that have always been right there but never cracked the top 10....gonzaga is not close to a gatekeeper at all, he fought for the title just a year ago and has gone 1-1 since....kongo is still on the rise so hes no gatekeeper...franklin, argubly the best the middleweight in the world not name silva or henderson a gatekeeper? thats just koo koo talk right there....two years ago he was considered unstoppable.....parisyan is no gate keeper either, hes still top 10 and just cuz you get knocked out by a guy that is top 5 and one win away from a title shot does not regulate you to gatekeeper, hes still young enough and not that many wins away from a title shot.....stevenson a gatekeeper is koo koo as well....he just fought for the title last january and won his fight against a legit guy since then, hes top 10 and most likely will fight for the title again someday........bottom line is that just cuz a guy loses a title shot or his title doesnt mean hes a gatekeeper and usually when it is that case, its far removed from theyre heyday and at the end of theyre career

my list (ufc list)

hw- herring
lhw-tito ortiz or james irvin
mw-ivan salvarry or jason mcdonald
ww-chris lytle
lw-din thomas or rich clementi
StevenSeagal
8/26/08 11:52:50AM

Posted by wiggum

top 10 fighters cant be gatekeepers...gatekeepers are usually veterens that have always been right there but never cracked the top 10....gonzaga is not close to a gatekeeper at all, he fought for the title just a year ago and has gone 1-1 since....kongo is still on the rise so hes no gatekeeper...franklin, argubly the best the middleweight in the world not name silva or henderson a gatekeeper? thats just koo koo talk right there....two years ago he was considered unstoppable.....parisyan is no gate keeper either, hes still top 10 and just cuz you get knocked out by a guy that is top 5 and one win away from a title shot does not regulate you to gatekeeper, hes still young enough and not that many wins away from a title shot.....stevenson a gatekeeper is koo koo as well....he just fought for the title last january and won his fight against a legit guy since then, hes top 10 and most likely will fight for the title again someday........bottom line is that just cuz a guy loses a title shot or his title doesnt mean hes a gatekeeper and usually when it is that case, its far removed from theyre heyday and at the end of theyre career

my list (ufc list)

hw- herring
ww-chris lytle

True dat
Tein_Lung
8/26/08 1:54:20PM
I love how people say Rich is a gatekeeper for MW, hes the number 2, no-one at MW can beat him but anderson, that does not make him a gatekeeper
MFOTHER
8/26/08 2:42:53PM

Posted by wiggum

my list (ufc list)

hw- herring
ww-chris lytle

perfecto
jiujitsufreak74
8/26/08 5:26:34PM

Posted by wiggum

my list (ufc list)

hw- herring
ww-chris lytle

i agree with you wholeheartedly on Rich Franklin. the number 3 MW in the world can't be a gatekeeper, i mean if he was there would only be 2 other guys to pass through "the gate". i also agree with you on the other points you made. however i have some points to make on your list.

1) Ortiz is not there anymore, however, i think Irvin is a good gatekeeper
2) Ivan retired, but again i think you nailed it on the head with MacDonald
3) Din is also not there anymore, but once again you nailed it on Clementi

Great list and i think you got all the right names.
mrkennedy
8/26/08 6:55:39PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

I love how people say Rich is a gatekeeper for MW, hes the number 2, no-one at MW can beat him but anderson, that does not make him a gatekeeper

D0wnUnd6e6r
8/26/08 7:01:20PM

Posted by wiggum

my list (ufc list)

hw- herring
ww-chris lytle

3 things... - ortiz is gone
- din thomas is gone
-salavery retired
jiujitsufreak74
8/26/08 7:20:32PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by wiggum

my list (ufc list)

hw- herring
ww-chris lytle

3 things... - ortiz is gone
- din thomas is gone
-salavery retired

look at my post above
iwannabesedated
8/26/08 8:13:03PM
HW-Herring
LHW-Irvin or Nakamura <---Not sure if he is gone or not but hes still listed on the UFC website.
MW-Doerksen
WW-Lytle or Marcus Davis<--Mainly because i never thought he was top ten worthy.
LW-Gurgel and Clementi
mrkennedy
8/26/08 9:56:34PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

HW-Herring
LHW-Irvin or Nakamura <---Not sure if he is gone or not but hes still listed on the UFC website.
MW-Doerksen
WW-Lytle or Marcus Davis<--Mainly because i never thought he was top ten worthy.
LW-Gurgel and Clementi

justin levens and justin Eilers are still listed on the ufc website
iwannabesedated
8/27/08 12:32:56AM

Posted by mrkennedy

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

HW-Herring
MW-Doerksen
LW-Gurgel and Clementi

justin levens and justin Eilers are still listed on the ufc website

Awesome
JBatch
8/27/08 11:57:48AM
I don't really know who stands as each because many of the divisions are in such disarray that anyone could be primed to make a move. Guys like Lytle, Karo, Diego, Leben, MacDonald, Lambert, Jardine, Hardonk, O'Brien etc. who all win but don't put enough together for a title shot, could be gatekeepers but I think that would be underestimating their abilities.

Most of the UFC divisions are so stacked and deep now and they put together so many shows that up to 2 or 3 guys in every division could make a decent living as a heel or the good guy in the "gatekeeper" role.

My opinion tho.

Herring
Lambert or Boetsch
MacDonald
UK- Paul Taylor US- Goulet
Gurgel
nickcuc547
8/27/08 3:58:28PM
HW- Heath Herring- perfect example of a gate keeper
LHW- Stephan Bonnar
MW- Jason Day
WW- Chris Lytle
LW- Spencer Fisher
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/28/08 11:47:26PM
I agree with everything but LHW, Gouveia definetly had the ability to beat Reljic and Jardine...he just lost is all.

Fisher definetly is the definition of a gatekeeper.

HW-Heering
LHW-Bonnar
MW-MacDonald
WW-Lytle
LW-Fisher
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/28/08 11:49:00PM
Also, levins is not even close to gatekeeper status...his lifes goal should be to one day get mentioned with the likes of Jason MacDonald and Jason Day.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/29/08 4:13:15AM
HW- Herring/Kongo
LHW- Bonnar/Irvin
MW- MacDonald/Sakara
WW- Chonan/Lytle/Goulet
LW- Fisher/Guida

Being a gatekeeper isn't necessarily a bad thing. IMO, it just means you'll crush cans, and always be a good test for those in the "upper" part of the division. Half expected to lose, but still, winning wouldn't be a shock. Or if you buy into what Joe says, you'll sub Jeremy Horn, have us hear millions of times Goldy saying you were victorious in your promos when you get brought into fight, and lose late first/early second, usually by TKO.
Wolfenstein
8/29/08 5:02:39AM
HW- Eddie Sanchez
LHW- James Irvin
MW- Alessio Sakara
WW- Marcus Davis
LW- Jorge Gurgel
MMA
8/29/08 11:31:27AM
Tito would have probably been the gatekeeper before, but now I don't know. Wilson is still improving and is very talented, I'm sure he still has some tricks up his sleeves. Bonnar is also a good fighter, the dude just needs to use a game plan. He's a Gracie blackbelt but he chooses to brawl.
Rabi
8/29/08 1:00:04PM
A lot of people have put Irvin as Gatekeeper, I think he will be out for a while after his failed drug test and might not even be back.

I think a good 185 gate keeper not mentioned yet would be Ed Herman. I think Jason MacDonald is to good to be a gatekeeper at the moment.

As for the other divisions all the names I can think of have already been mentioned. Just wanted to add a new name in.
gsquat
8/29/08 1:49:16PM
HW: Kongo/Herring
LHW: Bonnar (though I'd like to see him fight for the title one day)
MW: Franklin (the ultimate gatekeeper)
WW: Kos
LW: Guida (Danzig's name isn't on the list of those who get to pass either)
mrkennedy
8/29/08 7:21:50PM

Posted by Rabi

A lot of people have put Irvin as Gatekeeper, I think he will be out for a while after his failed drug test and might not even be back.

I think a good 185 gate keeper not mentioned yet would be Ed Herman. I think Jason MacDonald is to good to be a gatekeeper at the moment.

As for the other divisions all the names I can think of have already been mentioned. Just wanted to add a new name in.

Your tough with irvin its just painkillers
mrkennedy
8/29/08 7:27:16PM

Posted by gsquat

HW: Kongo/Herring
LHW: Bonnar (though I'd like to see him fight for the title one day)
MW: Franklin (the ultimate gatekeeper)
WW: Kos
LW: Guida (Danzig's name isn't on the list of those who get to pass either)

ranklin is not a gatekeeper he got two lost vs anderson
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/30/08 2:44:13AM
Just because you can't beat the champion does not make you a gatekeeper. Basically, if you were going to rank all the guys in the UFC (and just the UFC) those who are ranked 13, 14, and 15 consistently are the gatekeepers.

Unfortunately for the UFC the Heavyweight division is so weak that due to lack of talent gate keepers like Kongo and Heering often get ranked in the top 5.

But yea, UFC normally has baout 30 contracted fighters in each division, so those who are always ranked in the middle and never move up nor down are gatekeepers.
Taylor8766
8/30/08 11:24:45AM
HW:Eddie Sanchez
LHW:Possibly Houston Alexander
MW:Jason Macdonald
WW:Luke Cummo
LW:Spencer Fisher
Pages: [1] 2