The Gary Shaw Project : Kimbo Slice

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Gary Shaw Project : Kimbo Slice
OLDSCHOOL
11/11/07 2:39:24PM
Who is next for Kimbo Slice or should I say what is next for him. Boxing and Elite XC promoter has taken Kimbo under his wing so to speak and seem's to have made a project of the former street brawler.

Gary Shaw has said that he feels Kimbo can and will become Elite XC HW champion and would be willing to match Kimbo into a UFC HW of Danna White's choice in a $ 1 million winner take all match, which of course he feels confident Kimbo will win.

After a couple (if that) more years of MMA he said he would like to bring Kimbo over into boxing where he went so far as to say "In 1 1/2 years there's no doubt he (Kimbo) can become HW champion "...I say Shaw has a lot of faith in his new 'project'.

I know how I think Kimbo would do against the top MMA fighters and the top HW boxers of today and it is not to good. I'm interested to know how you feel Kimbo would do against the likes of Randy Couture, Fedor Emelianenko, Josh Barnett, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira or boxing's Wladimir Klitschko, Samuel Peter, Ruslan Chagaev, Sultan Ibragimov .

So whats your take on Kimbo, think he can go to the top in MMA as well as boxing ? Let's hear...or do you think Gary Shaw is out to lunch ?

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
cmill21
11/11/07 2:50:38PM
I think Kimbo would get beat badly by all of the top guys right now.
fullerene
11/11/07 4:20:59PM
He'd get killed by any of the top MMA fighters and forget about boxing with Chagaev, Peter and Klitschko. But he would do very well against almost anyone with only 1-2 MMA fights. I'd say he would be a good project except that he's already in his 30s and obviously hasn't lived a clean life. He needs 5-6 years to learn the skills and gain the fight experience needed to be a top fighter and I don't think his body will hold up for that long. Don't forget this guy got beat by Sean Gannon and that fight would have ended much sooner if grappling was allowed.

The other question is what happens when he fights a good, strong wrestler? Brock Lesnar is green as well, but I'd strongly favor him because I think Kimbo could do nothing to stop from being put on his back and, once he's there, he doesn't have the skill to protect himself.

He should be an interesting personality and fighter but he's going to be a novelty attraction, not a champ IMO.
postman
11/11/07 4:23:41PM
I don't even think he could beat big foot. That guy he fought last night was Out of the fight before it started he didn't want to be there at all he was like Eddie sanchez before the cor cop fight.
MALICE
11/11/07 6:42:38PM
Agree. It is way to early to be making statements like, "He will be the next HW champ". Put him in with Bigfoot. If he knocks him out in 19 seconds, then make the statement, "He could be the next HW champ". As for fights with Couture, Fedor, Barnett, Nogueira, Good luck Kimbo.
tuvok500
11/11/07 6:59:56PM
Kimbo may be impressive against a guys who was there to pay his bills, but he would be completely demolish against everybody on your list !!!

if Kimbo want to be a champ 1 day, he will have to stay in a low level organization who want to match him against some cans !!!

OLDSCHOOL
11/11/07 8:03:02PM

Posted by tuvok500

Kimbo may be impressive against a guys who was there to pay his bills, but he would be completely demolish against everybody on your list !!!

if Kimbo want to be a champ 1 day, he will have to stay in a low level organization who want to match him against some cans !!!

I agree 100%. I understand he is just trying to put food on the table for his family and I can respect him for that but I never did see what the draw was with him. I think Gary Shaw is going to use Kimbo for what he's worth which is a quick $buck$ and leave him when he's shown for the backyard brawler he is...that said Kimbo will have made some coin in the fight game and can move on to some reality show or something.

Twenty20Dollars
11/11/07 8:53:35PM
No way could kimbo beat any top MMA guy. unless its a good punch. on paper he doesnt beat anyone.
rabbit915
11/12/07 12:24:31AM
I think by his "project" he means a great way to generate publicity for what is a 2nd rate organization.
Mastodon2
11/12/07 8:04:11AM
This is a total publicity stunt. Granted you have to promote an organisation somehow, but I don't think Shaw genuinely believes that Kimbo has a chance against the top HWs. I don't see them rushing to get Kimbo to fight Big Foot!
warglory
11/13/07 1:27:37PM
I think I trust what El Guapo has to say. Much of the fight game is mental, and Kimbo doesn't seem skiddish at all. Would I say he could beat some top guys right now? I dunno, but I wouldn't say he has no chance just because of what his name is.
Rush
11/13/07 9:29:32PM
I think it will be a safe bet that when Kimbo is no longer being fed cans then it will be a good indication of what his promoter/manager really think of his skills.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/13/07 9:31:37PM
Hehehehe, I guess it's ok to dream...