Gary Goodridge "Kimbo Slice is a 2008 version of Mr. T"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gary Goodridge "Kimbo Slice is a 2008 version of Mr. T"
CornishMMA
2/25/08 9:14:31AM
Gary Goodridge appeared on Fight Network Radio and had some unpleasant things to say about Kimbo Slice and also indicated that he would be more than willing to fight Kimbo:

“‘Kimbo Slice’ is a 2008 version of ‘Mr. T,’” Goodridge told Fight Network Radio. “Was ‘Mr. T’ tough back then? No. Could he beat anybody back then? No, but he had the words, he had the lyrics, and he had the gold.”

“Don’t come out telling people that you’re ‘Street Certified,’ that you can walk on the streets and punch out anybody, any man … you’re not afraid of nobody,” Goodridge said. “Man, I know people that will put him down and spank his ass.”

LINK
tberg420
2/25/08 10:00:24AM
I've resisted long enough to say this...I pity the fool who hates on Mr. T
jahdoug
2/25/08 11:15:08AM
Goodridge would could at least test his gas tank for more than 35 seconds. Also maybe test his from leg vs. kicks. Tons of experience in mma and k1. Then again, i picked sapp this weekend.
Sir_Karl
2/25/08 12:09:56PM
Kimbo will get his one day....not from Gary Goodridge though.
Kpro
2/25/08 12:11:36PM
Translation:

"I want to fight him to steal his hype and rejuvenate my career!"
bullettdodger
2/25/08 1:30:47PM

Posted by tberg420

I've resisted long enough to say this...I pity the fool who hates on Mr. T

CornishMMA
2/25/08 1:52:15PM

Posted by Kpro

Translation:

LOL as always, except that he would have to win to get that result, if not its the end of his career!

Im not surprised by these comments and expect more from other fighters, you kinda cant blame them for feeling a bit done over, instead of training to the extent they have they could have just done a bit then had some illegal fights then trained more whilst they rake in the cashish
Jackelope
2/25/08 2:12:20PM
I'd watch it. At least he'd put a real test to Kimbo's striking.
MMAcca
2/25/08 3:06:15PM
I believe the hype
Smd277
2/25/08 3:42:05PM
i agree and would love for kimbo to lose 123 fights
xburbx
2/25/08 4:15:40PM
Why would you ever want Kimbo to lose. Of course there are guys that can kill him, but he is one of the most entertaining pre-fight hype fighters. Obey Kimbo
BlazinSaddle
2/25/08 6:31:22PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Kimbo will get his one day....not from Gary Goodridge though.

he did already, maybe we've heard of him...SEAN GANNON, lol, man can you imagine what fedor or aleks would do to kimbo?
jtgribble
2/25/08 6:50:21PM
To be fair about it, the fight with Gannon was supposed to be a boxing match. He threw knees and tried for takedowns when the rules were punches...when a man goes down he has 60 sec. to answer the bell. Granted, Gannon may have "come out on top" but both looked tired and beat. And Kimbo stayed within the set parameters of the fight. If Lennox Lewis knees Holyfield in the face to ko him, he didn't really win a boxing match.

That being said, let's get those two together now in a match that has a ref to keep it within the rules. It may have the same results, but now that Kimbo is training the takedowns, knees and elbows, I doubt it.
Pookie
2/25/08 6:52:29PM

Posted by jtgribble

To be fair about it, the fight with Gannon was supposed to be a boxing match. He threw knees and tried for takedowns when the rules were punches...when a man goes down he has 60 sec. to answer the bell. Granted, Gannon may have "come out on top" but both looked tired and beat. And Kimbo stayed within the set parameters of the fight. If Lennox Lewis knees Holyfield in the face to ko him, he didn't really win a boxing match.

That being said, let's get those two together now in a match that has a ref to keep it within the rules. It may have the same results, but now that Kimbo is training the takedowns, knees and elbows, I doubt it.

EDIT - now that kimbo is training! before he wasnt training at all. now he's under the tuteledge of Bas rutten.
rabbit915
2/25/08 7:24:48PM

Posted by Jackelope

Kimbo's striking what needs to be tested. Its his ground game.

I dont know why everyone wants kimbo to lose. I just want him to fight someone who isnt a can. If he beats some legitimate fighters, good for him. If he doesnt, well than he wasnt worth the hype. I just want to see him actually challenged.
kasual
2/25/08 7:31:16PM
Kimbo is an interesting phenomena and I would never count him out of a fight. He trains with one of the greatest of all time in Rutten and seems very focused on fighting. I saw him interviewed with Bas and he seems to have his head on very straight. He doesn't want to take fights he doesn't think he has a chance in, I respect that. Now, that being said it severely limits his opposition. Any good heavyweight with well rounded skills (see: submission) would make Kimbo look silly. I guess Kimbo has the potential to be a big fish in a small pond, it's not like there is any depth in an organization that would sign Tank Abbott to headline. Next time put Kimbo in with Silva, or even Ricco, and see a quality heavyweight dismantle him.
cj_striker
2/25/08 8:47:33PM
I completely understand where Goodridge is coming from. I mean he has gotten where he is through years and years of hard work and dedication to the sport. While many feel that Kimbo has gotten more recognition than they have for only two pro fights against cans. Granted Kimbo has put in some serious training time with Bas, but not nearly as much as most other pros have over the years. I personally feel, why hate on the guy? I mean yeah the hype he's getting is a little too much for a guy with only two pro fights, but he got his name out there on the internet which has worked in his advantage. If I were Goodridge or another established MMA fighter I would leave KImbo alone, just for the simple fact that you really wouldn't gain anything. Where as Kimbo could gain a lot, even with a loss, as long as he stands his own, then he will receive props for it, trust me. And what if Kimbo does knock them out, then that established fighter will be tainted forever by a loss to a guy they don't respect and talked mad shit about. Just think about it, it's not wotth it. But I wish Kimbo luck, as long as he keeps training with Bas, he'll go places.
Jackelope
2/26/08 12:17:01AM

Posted by rabbit915

Posted by Jackelope

Kimbo's striking what needs to be tested. Its his ground game.

I dont know why everyone wants kimbo to lose. I just want him to fight someone who isnt a can. If he beats some legitimate fighters, good for him. If he doesnt, well than he wasnt worth the hype. I just want to see him actually challenged.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. I dunno if you just have bad grammar, or made a typo or ....what? I'll assume what you meant to say is- "Kimbo's striking isn't what needs to be tested, it's his ground game."

I'll answer that by saying both need to be tested, actually. Who has tested his standup in MMA? Tank Abbott? (LOL) Bo Cantrell or whatever the guy's name is? (LOL) Cantrell didn't even hardly stand for maybe 10 seconds with Tank, and as soon as he took one shot he fell to the ground and tapped out. Tank Abbott hits hard, but he doesn't strike well. So again.. I ask... who has tested Kimbo's striking? I'm not saying he doesn't have good striking, I'm just saying it hasn't been TESTED.

His ground game- well, that speaks for itself. It has not even been touched. Let alone tested.

For the record I'm not saying I want to see Kimbo lose. I actually LIKE Kimbo. I respect what he's done so far, and I respect the fact that he pays homage to the sport by presenting himself well and by training under Bas.
MMAcca
2/26/08 1:13:58AM
I really hope kimbo doesn't lose for a long time and that he keeps beating whoever/whatever is put in front of him.

Slice is a legitimate MMA fighter and he's obviously dedicated or a legend like Bas Rutten wouldn't be praising him publicly.

This guy can hit HARD and his future opponents are gonna have to start working on those iron chins NOW or they're getting KTFO!

Ok so his ground game may be untested and it may even be awful (does anybody know?) but i'm sure he's looking to improve it with every fight

I believe the hype and i wish Kimbo the best of luck for 2008
gartface
2/26/08 12:02:14PM
I really doubt Gary Goodridge could knock out Kevin Ferguson in an MMA rules fight.
whardin19
2/26/08 5:42:32PM

Posted by Kpro

Translation:

This is exactaly what I was thinking. This guy wants to rejuvenate his career so he's taking stabs at Kimbo. I say give him the fight. But when he gets in the ring with Kimbo he'll get more that he can handle.
Boo_Radley21
2/26/08 7:27:52PM
Goodridge would expose Kimbo IMO.

Kimbo still hasn't really beat anyone...

He beat Tank...( I though Tank would win, but it's Tank it's not much of a surprise)

He "beat" Cantrell if you can call that a legitimate win.

Goodridge would beat him down,