PC Game Suggestions

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » PC Game Suggestions
emfleek
2/16/09 9:54:13AM
I need suggestions for a PC Game(s) to purchase. From what I've gathered, very few (none) places have a decent selection of PC titles. Mostly X-Box, PS3, Wii, etc. So, I need your help...what game would you buy if you were looking to purchase a PC game?

A few guidelines...

- I mostly play sports games.
- The occasional strategy game isn't bad.
- I don't play games like Final Fantasy, Warcraft or other "Stuck in mom's basement playing games even though I'm 30"-type games.

I was looking at MLB Front Office Manager and thought about buying it until I read the reviews. It sounds like quite the fail from 2KSports.

I have Tiger Woods 2008 so I really have no desire to get another golf game, either. Just an FYI.

Anyways...suggestions?
AchillesHeel
2/16/09 10:37:00AM
If you like sports management games, Sports Interactive's Football Manager series (titled "Worldwide Soccer Manager" in the U.S.) pretty much rules. Obviously, it helps if you like soccer, but I'm not sure that's even mandatory, since it's a management game and you don't play the actual matches. You can download the demo and see for yourself.

I don't know if you'll classify them as "30-yr-old in mom's basement" games, but if you like RPGs and shooters, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are must-play games.

I don't play a ton of strategy games, but Civilization IV and Company of Heroes are the elite, imo. If you like it at all, Civilization is an incredibly addictive time-sink. Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever designed. It came out in '06, and a sequel came out in '07, but people still play it. There's a 3rd one being released in April, so you can probably get the first two for cheap.
emfleek
2/16/09 10:52:09AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

If you like sports management games, Sports Interactive's Football Manager series (titled "Worldwide Soccer Manager" in the U.S.) pretty much rules. Obviously, it helps if you like soccer, but I'm not sure that's even mandatory, since it's a management game and you don't play the actual matches. You can download the demo and see for yourself.

I don't know if you'll classify them as "30-yr-old in mom's basement" games, but if you like RPGs and shooters, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are must-play games.

I don't play a ton of strategy games, but Civilization IV and Company of Heroes are the elite, imo. If you like it at all, Civilization is an incredibly addictive time-sink. Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever designed. It came out in '06, and a sequel came out in '07, but people still play it. There's a 3rd one being released in April, so you can probably get the first two for cheap.

Yeah, my brother-in-law has Fallout 3...looks fun, but also a little unrealistic for my tastes.

But Company of Heroes looks like it's right up my alley...wow.

Thanks, man!
SmileR
2/16/09 12:02:03PM
The rainbow 6 games are pretty cool and if you get a sniper rifle you can shoot people in the balls an they can't move! They might be dead but I like to think they are crying and I just walk past them like a bad ass!
Ordep
2/16/09 2:33:46PM
Star Craft; without a doubt the game that can be called the greatest PC game ever created. You mentioned you don't like "unrealistic" but if you plan to get at least one this one should be it. Instant classic since it came out. Fun RTS and nothing like "I'm a retard WoW freak" type of game. WikiLINK

I would suggest other PC games but they're the same genre as that is the only thing I play on my PC. RTS like SC, Command and Conq. and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

But if you're looking to "play on your PC" and not just "PC games" I recommend to download some emulators (probably NES, NEO-GEO and SNES) and get some sports classic like "Baseball" for NES, Tecmo Super Bowl for Snes and Metal Slug for Neo-Geo. There are a bunch of other sports classic for those plattaforms too and you can find them anywhere.
emfleek
2/16/09 2:40:09PM

Posted by Ordep

But if you're looking to "play on your PC" and not just "PC games" I recommend to download some emulators (probably NES, NEO-GEO and SNES) and get some sports classic like "Baseball" for NES, Tecmo Super Bowl for Snes and Metal Slug for Neo-Geo. There are a bunch of other sports classic for those plattaforms too and you can find them anywhere.

Any emulator suggestions? Keep in mind, I'm an e-tard when it comes to pretty much everything non-internet.
bojangalz
2/16/09 5:18:44PM
Couple of things...

First off Emulators are the sh*t! I just got a new laptop, and haven't had time to look into whats new out there, but off the top of my head I remember using one called NEStron for the good 'ol NES emulation. I used both zSNES and , Snes9x for Super Nintendo. I know that I've got some of those files still on my home computer, but I won't be able to really sit down and get into detail about all of it until tomorrow evening at the earliest. I'll PM you with the exact names of the programs, you should be able to google them for endless results.

Just a few things to know about emu's. The emulator itself isn't a game. It's mearly the software which tells your computer to act like the system it is trying to emulate, and allows the computer to read the program language of whatever game you are trying to play.

The game files are called "ROMs". You'll need to google "NES roms", or snes roms" to find the results you're looking for. The game files on old systems are incredibly small. If I'm not mistaken a standard NES ROM file is less then 1 MB in size. All you need to do is save the rom locally to your hard drive, then launch your emulator program and open the rom from there. It's a piece of cake.

If you've got any questions, PM me and I'll get you started.
Ordep
2/16/09 7:56:45PM

Posted by bojangalz

Couple of things...

First off Emulators are the sh*t! I just got a new laptop, and haven't had time to look into whats new out there, but off the top of my head I remember using one called NEStron for the good 'ol NES emulation. I used both zSNES and , Snes9x for Super Nintendo. I know that I've got some of those files still on my home computer, but I won't be able to really sit down and get into detail about all of it until tomorrow evening at the earliest. I'll PM you with the exact names of the programs, you should be able to google them for endless results.

Just a few things to know about emu's. The emulator itself isn't a game. It's mearly the software which tells your computer to act like the system it is trying to emulate, and allows the computer to read the program language of whatever game you are trying to play.

The game files are called "ROMs". You'll need to google "NES roms", or snes roms" to find the results you're looking for. The game files on old systems are incredibly small. If I'm not mistaken a standard NES ROM file is less then 1 MB in size. All you need to do is save the rom locally to your hard drive, then launch your emulator program and open the rom from there. It's a piece of cake.

If you've got any questions, PM me and I'll get you started.

^ what he said, zsnes is the best for SNES and NEStron for NES. Also, Project 64 is a good one for Nintendo 64 if you're interested in it (the "Quaterback Club" and "All Star Baseball" series came for N64) Google should do the job for everything. To find games just google(example w/ SF2):
"Street Fighter 2 snes rom" and you should get a lot of result. It is better that way since some of the rom pages don't have all of them, some are locked for download, some require accounts etc. Download the file (being ZIP files almost all the time) and make a folder(directory) for your games. The emulator should load the ZIP file directly so no need to extract. If you use some P2P download programs (Limewire or any Torrent clients) you can find rom "bundles", I remember I downloaded one w 256 Snes games and it was just like 1GB or less (cant remember exactly).

Of course to boost your experience a gamepad is recommended(if you don't have one already) unless you're fine playing w/ the keyboard

Pookie
2/16/09 8:00:46PM
You can get pokemon blue for the Gameboy ROM! Awesome!
Boo_Radley21
2/17/09 12:05:27PM
Any of the Cabela's hunting games are awesome haha. Safari is probably the best.
FlashyG
2/17/09 12:56:36PM
You should check out Left 4 Dead.

Game of the Year in my opinion.
NeaRMisS
2/17/09 7:53:31PM
Starcraft broodwar is the best RTS game of all time. People still play that game, and make massive money from it.

Starcraft 2 looks amazing atm, and they are making it even easier for controls / hotkeys.

AchillesHeel
2/18/09 10:06:02AM
A game I'm looking forward to is Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. It's a sequel to Escape from Butcher Bay, which was a great game (and the prequel to Pitch Black). However, if you don't have Butcher Bay, don't get it; that game is being repackaged with updated graphics as part of Dark Athena.
mentalcase
2/18/09 11:49:04AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

A game I'm looking forward to is Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. It's a sequel to Escape from Butcher Bay, which was a great game (and the prequel to Pitch Black). However, if you don't have Butcher Bay, don't get it; that game is being repackaged with updated graphics as part of Dark Athena.

Escape from Butcher Bay was excellent and it was supprizing how good it was cause most movie to game are cheap rip offs but this was top quality I'm also looking forward to the next one