I NEED to gain Weight!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » I NEED to gain Weight!!!
LightsOut33093
8/29/07 10:37:05PM
I'm 14 years old and I'm a freshman in high school, im about 5 ft 5 inches and weigh about 100-105 lbs and i want to gain some weight. I play defensive back for my high school football team and I have a pretty easy time tackling people and my speed is fine but I want to gain some weight so i can tackle the guys who are about 160-170 lbs. I am also probably gunna start to train BJJ with my cousin (sophomore in college) after football season is over. I would like to gain 10-15 lbs to get up to at least 115. Any help would be appreciated, and don't say eat disgusting foods because I won't be able to do that, more of training help would be better.
jdubs
8/29/07 11:31:08PM
i gained 15 pounds over summer liftin eatin good carbs, and alot of protein.. eat like at least 6 times daily
submissionartist1
8/29/07 11:32:41PM
gaining weight is not easy. All you can do is eat. Double up on lunch. eat EVERYTHING. Greens to ; salad raw green beans and baked beans, also eat peanut butter on everything that it may be good with . I went from 120 to 140 in a year. also Judo is good for football because of the throws and tosses you learn to use momentum against the opponent or greco roman wrestling
juanez13
8/30/07 12:36:43AM

Posted by submissionartist1

gaining weight is not easy. All you can do is eat. Double up on lunch. eat EVERYTHING. Greens to ; salad raw green beans and baked beans, also eat peanut butter on everything that it may be good with . I went from 120 to 140 in a year. also Judo is good for football because of the throws and tosses you learn to use momentum against the opponent or greco roman wrestling

agree, i went from 195 to 216 over the summer, drink protein shakes too, and basically everything stated above, having said that, work out, alot, because you want to gain muscle not fat, Lift weights.
ncordless
8/30/07 1:04:29AM

Posted by LightsOut33093

I'm 14 years old and I'm a freshman in high school, im about 5 ft 5 inches and weigh about 100-105 lbs and i want to gain some weight. I play defensive back for my high school football team and I have a pretty easy time tackling people and my speed is fine but I want to gain some weight so i can tackle the guys who are about 160-170 lbs. I am also probably gunna start to train BJJ with my cousin (sophomore in college) after football season is over. I would like to gain 10-15 lbs to get up to at least 115. Any help would be appreciated, and don't say eat disgusting foods because I won't be able to do that, more of training help would be better.

Weight gainer and lots of lifting will work. Let me ask though, have you hit your main growth spurt yet? My guess is no. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not being offensive. Just be careful trying to bulk up on systems that are meant for developed bodies. My friend and I both took weight gainer in high school. I was developed and he wasn't yet. It worked for me great and I gained a good 10 pounds of muscle over the summer. My friend, on the other hand, balooned from about 110 to 150. Problem was, it was all fat. His body wasn't ready to build serious muscle and he ended up on a long hard road trying to get back in to shape.

Ask your parents if they remember when they started getting their spurt. If they were late bloomers, chances are you are one too. That doesn't mean that you can't get stronger. It just means be careful. It may suck, but look at the bright side... if you haven't hit your growth spurt yet, you definitely will get bigger soon.
LightsOut33093
8/30/07 7:46:05AM
im thinking of eating an apple and a peanut butter sandwich between every meal...is that a good idea? and for snacks something like peanuts............

when im not doing football im usually outside, and im not outside that day ill make sure i walk my dog...so i know the weight wont be fatty weight...any other help? and no i havent hit my major growth spurt yet
Jackelope
8/30/07 11:55:29AM
That peanut butter idea is a good idea.

Stay working out hard and clean up your tackles and you'll be fine. I was a small kid, too. It may take a while to get up there and big but for right now just work on your form and it will help you out a ton. We had one kid on our team who was playing JV football as a sophomore at 90 lbs starting as a safety. He just had a perfect tackle. He was also a wrestler, though.

At your age I think I weighed the same and was an inch or two shorter. Now I'm 6' and around 175. Some guys are meant to be small their whole lives, but that's not exactly a bad thing buddy!
babalu2720
8/30/07 12:15:40PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

i dont know maybe its the fact that ur so damn picky about what u eat...lol...we cook a meal and u eat only 1 thing...lol....eat more things damn it, not just hot dogs, peanut butter sandwiches, and fruit rollups...though i love fruit rollups too.
loller90278
8/30/07 12:49:50PM
can babalu and lightsout be the first father/monther - son duo we have on here?!
szucconi
8/30/07 12:54:47PM

Posted by loller90278

can babalu and lightsout be the first father/monther - son duo we have on here?!

my guess would be cousin.
LightsOut33093
8/30/07 1:14:06PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by loller90278

my guess would be cousin.

friends

and plus i said i was 14 years old...how could we be father/mother
babalu2720
8/30/07 1:15:24PM
yes friends who live very close to each other
dP
8/30/07 7:57:34PM
1.....Eat a healthy Breakfast
Try and eat every 3 hours.....1 big meal-1 small meal(an apple/protein shake/whatever...make sure its good for you though, as you'll put on better quality weight eating fruits/vegetables than a hot dog/fruit rollup any day of the week)....1 big meal-1 small meal.....1 big meal-1 small meal....your last meal of the day being something that is slowly digested(cottage cheese is good)

2....Get enough sleep....You're still growing at 14 and need it

3...You should in all reality be getting enough cardio from footballl so I'll leave that be for now

Work out with weights....NOT like a body builder either....like a football player...you want to get strong and big....have someone that knows what their doing show you how to do weights properly.....NOT your friend because he's big....or whatever stupid reason you have for choosing a particular friend(I dont mean to come off as harsh, but you can get hurt big time lifting weights improperly)

The following is workouts lined up over the course of a year(it doesnt happen overnight) that if followed properly will have you being bigger and stronger(assuming you're eating right)
BUT they should also be done under the supervision of someone that knows what their doing

Another thing to keep in mind is that they're to be done in the order suggested...as theres a reason I"m suggesting this order...and that is to Maximize your strength and hypertrophy(muscle growth)....dont listen to anyone that is going to tell you "weights stunt your growth" thats bull crap

Find someone to show you proper form.....get to the gym....and workout...remember, if you want to take someone down you're going to have to strengthen your rear chain(which is what your back/butt and hamstrings are referred to as in some circles) so read these articles from start to finish as the guy knows his stuff

Workout 1

Workout 2

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=534922

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=580380

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459290

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=693794

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=529331

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459216

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=534922

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=580380

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=529331

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459216

The workouts may look wierd at first....but you have to remember, You're not a bodybuilder....you're NOT on steroids....so these are far more efficient than any split routine that you would ever encounter in a bodybuilding magazine...after you get the basic lifts down(and I cant suggest the importance of proper form enough)

Good luck and remember Eat properly(most experts will tell you this is 80% of the battle).....get sleep(its when we grow, NO ONE ever weighed more coming out of a gym than going in, you break your muscle down in the gym and it grows back stronger while asleep)....and train SMART, putting 100% into your workouts as its always quality over quantity

Hope this all helps
Jackelope
8/31/07 2:49:02PM
dP... more for myself than the original poster-

What does Chad Waterbury suggest about building up support group muscles? I read the whole workout page you posted, but I'm just wondering what happens when guys' rotator cuffs and hips start bothering them?

Not flaming, just genuinely curious.
dP
9/1/07 11:58:22AM
Theres actually dozens of articles on that particular website on shoulder rehab, keeping in mind that psysio is probably a good way to go also

I would give you a direct answer but I'd rather see you learn from experts in the field and come away with more than you got here with

Heres some just to ring off a few

The Rotator Cuff

Rotator Cuff 2

Shoulder savers 1

Shoulder savers 2

A Joint by Joint approach to training

Corrective Lifting

Heres an Article on the importance of Soft tissue work which, is in fact trying to sell you something...it might look crazy at first, but come on it 10$, and I dont imagine anyone on here hasn't wasted 10$ before...its a great investment and will have you feeling better....although if you're self conscious in any way, you may want to not do some of these exercises in a packed gym as it attracts attention.

Tight hip flexors can cause a whole number of problems, including low back pain, tight hamstrings, and glute dysfunction, which all mess up sprinting form and lead to injury. Aggressively stretch your hip flexors everyday....assuming that is whats wrong
TheHitmanTL
9/2/07 7:14:29PM
fool get tren its prohormones and ull get big as hell

www.americell-labs.com