Gabriel Gonzaga interested in Brock Lesnar clash of monsters

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gabriel Gonzaga interested in Brock Lesnar clash of monsters
MMAcca
10/8/08 1:37:43AM
“[Brock Lesnar] was never proposed to us, but Gabriel Gonzaga would love to fight him because he’s a big name and I think it would be a clash of two monsters. I think it would be a huge fight so if the UFC gave Gonzaga that honor he would be happy to fight Brock Lesnar.”

– Marco Alvan — the head trainer for former UFC heavyweight number one contender Gabriel Gonazaga — tells BostonHerald.com that he and his fighter would be interested in a fight with Brock Lesnar in the near future. “Napao” is among the larger fighters in the division (like Lesnar) who also has a tight submission game (unlike Lesnar), which would more than likely be another dangerous test for the former professional wrestling star. Lesnar takes on Randy Couture — who beat down Gonzaga last year — at UFC 91 on November 15. Gonzaga will also compete on that same card against Octagon newcomer Josh Hendricks. If Couture defeats Lesnar and Gonzaga defeats Hendricks it would be real interesting to see if the promotion would book a fight like this, which would once again put a big pay-per-view (PPV) money machine at risk of losing to a much more experienced fighter.

LINK
kasual
10/8/08 1:45:28AM
that would be a good fight, for 'napao' that is. here's a guy who has all the tools that frank mir has PLUS good stand-up. I always had such high expectations for him, really well rounded with good conditioning and size. I got him over a guy like brock for sure, it's not enough to be a great wrestler anymore, you have to have a full skill set and come with a good game plan. when randy beats brock, nog and then (hopefully, maybe) encountes fedor and then retires, brock can go train couture and get the skills he needs to be a champion
jakeiceman
10/8/08 1:50:45AM
Hmmmm interesting matchup, I dont follow either of these two fighters much, can someone tell me, isnt Gonzaga pretty slick on the ground for a heavyweight? He also has big power.....I would say Gonzaga has the tools to win this.
Pookie
10/8/08 2:15:48AM
It wont happen because it will just ruin Lesnar's stock in a probable loss. Theres other big name match-ups they could use that would sell just as much if not more.

Great match-up though, i hope it happens
ufcboss
10/8/08 2:35:21AM
If Randy beats Lesnar, This will probally be his next fight. But I see Brock destroying Couture (Hurts me to say it) and then getting the winner of Nog/Mir.
rabbit915
10/8/08 8:46:54AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Hmmmm interesting matchup, I dont follow either of these two fighters much, can someone tell me, isnt Gonzaga pretty slick on the ground for a heavyweight? He also has big power.....I would say Gonzaga has the tools to win this.

He won the Mundials in 2006 and finished second at the ADCC in 2005. Hes not just slick, hes ridiculous on the ground.
Menard_StC
10/8/08 8:50:09AM

Posted by rabbit915

Posted by jakeiceman

He won the Mundials in 2006 and finished second at the ADCC in 2005. Hes not just slick, hes ridiculous on the ground.

True. Gonzaga is a top 5 or top 10 heavyweight grappler on the planet. Frank Mir probably isn't top 100.

Obviously, Mir has adapted well to MMA and was able to catch Brock... but I certainly think if he could do it then so could Napao. And Gonzaga would KO Brock if it stayed standing.
imanidiot777
10/8/08 9:10:15AM

Posted by Menard_StC

Posted by rabbit915

Posted by jakeiceman

True. Gonzaga is a top 5 or top 10 heavyweight grappler on the planet. Frank Mir probably isn't top 100.

Obviously, Mir has adapted well to MMA and was able to catch Brock... but I certainly think if he could do it then so could Napao. And Gonzaga would KO Brock if it stayed standing.

Are you serious? Frank Mir is definitely in the top 100, that is a huge exaggeration.
grappler0000
10/8/08 9:13:29AM

Posted by kasual

that would be a good fight, for 'napao' that is. here's a guy who has all the tools that frank mir has PLUS good stand-up. I always had such high expectations for him, really well rounded with good conditioning and size. I got him over a guy like brock for sure, it's not enough to be a great wrestler anymore, you have to have a full skill set and come with a good game plan. when randy beats brock, nog and then (hopefully, maybe) encountes fedor and then retires, brock can go train couture and get the skills he needs to be a champion

You had me until you said "good conditioning".
4u2nv
10/8/08 9:28:18AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kasual

You had me until you said "good conditioning".

true his tank probably isn't anywhere near Brocks. But i can see Brock smashing through Randy but losing to Gonzaga honestly. I'd rather see that fit then Randy and Lesnar but who knows. Seth just knocked out Kimbo!

Hahahaha i did just mention that on a UFC topic!
soRRy!
saemskin
10/8/08 10:02:39AM
I've been wanting to see Gonzaga Lesnar since after the Herring fight.
warglory
10/8/08 5:32:21PM
I think Gonzaga would school Brock.
jgtribbett
10/8/08 6:51:41PM
i would be excited to see it but think that lesnar would control him much like couture did... only in a different way. on the ground.. i dont believe that napao could overcome his strength and if brock trained bjj like he should i def dont think brock would be submitted... i'd expect a lesnar dec unless napao throws anohter mirco head kick
prozacnation1978
10/8/08 7:30:24PM
i don't think the ufc would feed gonzaga to lesnar if he does lose i think kongo might be feed though but if couture does lose
i see either the fedor match happening or werdum
saemskin
10/8/08 8:32:41PM

Posted by jgtribbett

i would be excited to see it but think that lesnar would control him much like couture did... only in a different way. on the ground.. i dont believe that napao could overcome his strength and if brock trained bjj like he should i def dont think brock would be submitted... i'd expect a lesnar dec unless napao throws anohter mirco head kick

I disagree. Randy controlled him because he smashed the front of his face in with his sqaure forehead. That was his equalizer for that fight. Cant breathe cant fight.
cmill21
10/9/08 12:27:02AM
If Brock hit GG he would just give up and lose to Brock. I think GG has heart, he fought not long after his son died but as soon as he takes a little punishment he packs it in.