Gabriel Gonzaga

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Gabriel Gonzaga
Jackelope
8/19/07 2:34:58AM
I'll justify my own thoughts here on the whole GG issue.

First of all- I think Randy is going to win by UD over GG.

Second of all- GG is definitely getting a lot of attention for his striking game which I personally don't think is all that impressive, although it is good. I tend to agree with people when they say he got "lucky" knocking out CC, but then again when I say "lucky" it probably has a whole different meaning than what some people are thinking. To me he got lucky in the sense that CC underestimated him and that he did not even think he was going to throw for the head. He didn't get lucky by throwing a good kick, and he didn't get lucky that it had the kind of power behind it that it did. Both of those things were due to his skill. For anybody who has ever been in a MMA style fight I'm pretty sure you can attest to the fact that there have been times when you just threw something kind of crazy for the hell of it because you were starting to get comfortable in the fight and you felt comfortable enough to throw that risky kick because at that point you are like "screw it" Well, I think that RHK was one of those and it just happened to get through. Hence, he got "lucky" but that luck involved a certain amount of skill.

Third of all- Gabe's biggest strength is his BJJ and I think the majority of people haven't had that demonstrated for them yet. Certainly not in the CC fight. As we've come to learn with MMA when you have a very solid ground game you've pretty much solidified the fact that you are a contender. When you rely on striking there's always that freak strike that can come in and knock you out- also known as the "puncher's chance" Therefore knocking you around in the rankings. Guys like Sherk, Hughes, Franca, Parisyan, Diaz, Couture, Fedor, Big Nog, etc. etc. who have very solid ground games are likely to stick in those high ranking spots because if you have that solid ground game in a fight you're less likely(although definitely still possible) to get sub'd by a freak submission, compared to guys who are the best strikers in the world who sometimes can get caught with a devastating "lucky shot" before they get in one of their own. (Chuck, Cro Cop recently) The ground game is like playing chess, and the striking game is like playing chess in a lightning storm. Both require immense skill no doubt, but the end can come in a much quicker and devastating fashion most of the time during the striking game.

So in the end what I'm trying to say is that the CC fight was not a true showcase of GG's talent. I think we have found ourselves a big time contender in GG but not for the reasons that most have come to think so. Yes, he is a beast, but more so on the ground than standing. It really is my belief that this upcoming match up we're going to see between him and Randy will be his first chance to really showcase his BJJ talent, and I think the majority of fans will get a better understanding of why he is a top ten competitor.

Believe-in-judo81
8/19/07 3:08:22AM
Totally agree, Gonzaga, is very powerful and learning to set up his strikes well, but that doesn't make up for his lack of speed and overall strikingtechnique.(Especially with his hands)

Randy can win this fight, and I fully expect him to if Gonzaga buys into his own hype and tries to stand with him. Randy Will outmaneuver, and use his speed and technique advantage to force Gonzaga into bad positions where he can control him, minimize his ability to effectively strike and dirty box his way to a UD or late round TKO.But if Gonzaga comes in focused and in shape with the right gameplan, all reason dictates to me that he is leaving with the belt.

My call: Gabriel Napao Gonzaga by late 3rd Round G&P TKO or 4th round sub.
mrsmiley
8/19/07 12:57:55PM
I agree with both of you.Couldn't say it any better than that.
mikevolz
8/19/07 1:05:09PM
well put,

i think randys stiking is better than gonzagas, and his wrestling as well. but when your wrestling a guy 20 lbs bigger and much stronger, its hard.

i see this is barnett/couture 2. barnett at the time was 240, the same weight gonzaga is now, and a much chubbier, less fit 240. and he gnp'd couture down. and with randy shooting his movie, doing the interviews and such. i just dont see him being able to gonzaga on the ground.

i think randy needs to keep it standing to win this fight because then he'll win. i just hope gonzaga learned some nice low and mid kicks, because if he puts his power behind those like he did vs cro cop, hed be a rough guy to tustle with.
Jackelope
8/19/07 4:25:29PM
I have no doubt in my mind that Randy's old man strength can compete with Gonzaga's strength. I mean, just look at how Randy's strength almost measured up with Sylvia. I don't think there's any doubt that Sylvia is one of the strongest Heavyweights in the UFC and Randy was able to hold him on the ground.

For anybody doubting Gonzaga's strength is his ground game just take a look at the Marrero fight. Look how well he keeps his weight centered down on his opponent and how he makes Marrero look like a complete bitch. Marrero is a two time national tournament greco roman wrestling qualifier and was the captain of his college wrestling team. Yet when put up against Gonzaga you'd think that was his first time ever being put on his back. Gonzaga aggressively attempts an americana, an arm triangle, and then finally subs him with an arm bar.

I still think Couture by decision, but I don't think Gonzaga is going to go on a downslide or anything after Couture beats him. He'll be around for a while.
MMA
8/19/07 6:08:33PM
If the fight ends early, I say Gonzaga takes it. If it goes to the later rounds, Randy will win. I think the biggest edge that Couture has is his experience and conditioning. I can definitely see Randy outworking Gonzaga and winning a decision or maybe a late round TKO. However, I could be wrong - Gonzaga may have excellent conditioning as well.
griffinisback
8/19/07 6:42:45PM
That was incredibly well written. Bravo!
Jackelope
8/19/07 11:08:10PM
Thanks
chickmagnet
8/19/07 11:58:07PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'll justify my own thoughts here on the whole GG issue.

First of all- I think Randy is going to win by UD over GG.

Second of all- GG is definitely getting a lot of attention for his striking game which I personally don't think is all that impressive, although it is good. I tend to agree with people when they say he got "lucky" knocking out CC, but then again when I say "lucky" it probably has a whole different meaning than what some people are thinking. To me he got lucky in the sense that CC underestimated him and that he did not even think he was going to throw for the head. He didn't get lucky by throwing a good kick, and he didn't get lucky that it had the kind of power behind it that it did. Both of those things were due to his skill. For anybody who has ever been in a MMA style fight I'm pretty sure you can attest to the fact that there have been times when you just threw something kind of crazy for the hell of it because you were starting to get comfortable in the fight and you felt comfortable enough to throw that risky kick because at that point you are like "screw it" Well, I think that RHK was one of those and it just happened to get through. Hence, he got "lucky" but that luck involved a certain amount of skill.

Third of all- Gabe's biggest strength is his BJJ and I think the majority of people haven't had that demonstrated for them yet. Certainly not in the CC fight. As we've come to learn with MMA when you have a very solid ground game you've pretty much solidified the fact that you are a contender. When you rely on striking there's always that freak strike that can come in and knock you out- also known as the "puncher's chance" Therefore knocking you around in the rankings. Guys like Sherk, Hughes, Franca, Parisyan, Diaz, Couture, Fedor, Big Nog, etc. etc. who have very solid ground games are likely to stick in those high ranking spots because if you have that solid ground game in a fight you're less likely(although definitely still possible) to get sub'd by a freak submission, compared to guys who are the best strikers in the world who sometimes can get caught with a devastating "lucky shot" before they get in one of their own. (Chuck, Cro Cop recently) The ground game is like playing chess, and the striking game is like playing chess in a lightning storm. Both require immense skill no doubt, but the end can come in a much quicker and devastating fashion most of the time during the striking game.

So in the end what I'm trying to say is that the CC fight was not a true showcase of GG's talent. I think we have found ourselves a big time contender in GG but not for the reasons that most have come to think so. Yes, he is a beast, but more so on the ground than standing. It really is my belief that this upcoming match up we're going to see between him and Randy will be his first chance to really showcase his BJJ talent, and I think the majority of fans will get a better understanding of why he is a top ten competitor.

you seem very insecure about GG vs. Couture, you think deep down
that Gonzaga will win, GONZAGA BY KO!!!
Jackelope
8/20/07 12:56:46AM

Posted by chickmagnet

you seem very insecure about GG vs. Couture, you think deep down
that Gonzaga will win, GONZAGA BY KO!!!

LOL do we have a psychologist in our midst?

SicJits
8/20/07 10:43:16AM
Gonzaga is the biggest question mark in the hw division. I've heard talk about his "lucky" shot against cc, but he dominated cc in every aspect of the fight, striking ground and pound. i dont think the shot was as much luck as it was he had crcop a bit confused and beat up some already and he jsut had the timing of cc down and threw an impressive high kick. i haven't seen too many high kicks that ko someone in that fashion that were "lucky". with that being said it is still a question of how good was cc? i think gonzaga has the tools to beat one of the best in Randy. GG showed no fear at all in cc and took the fight to him. After this fight we will have a better understanding of just how good or not so good this kid is.