The future of Stephan Bonnar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The future of Stephan Bonnar
Mv356
3/17/07 4:20:45PM
Are his UFC days over? I think he's tons of fun to watch in the ring, but after he lost to forrest again I'm not sure the UFC is going to be able to sell him good.
Gladiator
3/17/07 4:27:14PM
ya stephan bonnar is a fun fighter to watch, i hate it when people bash him. even if hes not exactly top ten material he always puts it all on the line and gives a die-hard performance. i think his suspension for steroids lasts until june and im sure he'll be on closest fight night to that. hopefully he'll come back better than ever and i really dont think the ufc will write him off too quickly.
madmarck
3/17/07 4:37:09PM

Posted by Gladiator

ya stephan bonnar is a fun fighter to watch, i hate it when people bash him. even if hes not exactly top ten material he always puts it all on the line and gives a die-hard performance. i think his suspension for steroids lasts until june and im sure he'll be on closest fight night to that. hopefully he'll come back better than ever and i really dont think the ufc will write him off too quickly.

No i cant see the UFC writing him off eihter. He has built up a fair size fan base there. And Dana stated that they were gonna stand by Bonnar. So i think once his supsension is up we will see him fight again. It will take him a while to rebuild himself though.
hippysmacker
3/17/07 5:12:35PM
Anybody who brings it like Bonnar should be kept, win or lose, IMO.
shawneth
3/17/07 7:58:15PM

Posted by madmarck

No i cant see the UFC writing him off eihter. He has built up a fair size fan base there. And Dana stated that they were gonna stand by Bonnar. So i think once his supsension is up we will see him fight again. It will take him a while to rebuild himself though.

Yah I heard the same thing. It was on an interview after he was caught on steroids. Smart move by Dana. Bonnar always pushes the pace and uses lots of exciting techniques when he fights.
mkiv9secsupra
3/17/07 8:02:18PM
get him outta here....
shackle
3/17/07 8:06:59PM
Sorry to piss on the subject, But I feel like he is a cheater.

Seems like a cool guy though, but he cheated. I hope he comes back without the roids, and does it the right way.

Everyone deserves a second chance, but what he done was bull crap it ruins professional sports.
Stickan
3/17/07 8:15:58PM
Strange how everybody hated Sylvia, Kimo, Randleman etc. when they were caught juicing but when Bonnar gets caught people just want him back as soon as possible.
If he took it on purpose he's a f-ing cheater and should be banned way longer than just 6 months or whatever his suspension was. IMO the UFC should show where they stand in this matter and release his contract and really make him pay and make him have to work his way back.

Cheaters usually get hated, why not in this case?

NSAC should get a little harder on this too. I'd say a 1½ - 2 year ban would be enough for a first time user of a performance enhancing substance and for life if caught a second time.

btw. Before getting caught I really enjoyed his fights and thought he was a great addition to the UFC LHW division.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/17/07 11:00:40PM
Stephan Bonnar is going to be a guest ref at my fight April 21st.....After my fight Im going to ask him why he isnt fighting Machida tonight...lolz

If you read this Stephen Im sorry I was joking and please don't hurt me

But seriously Im kinda excited to meet him and get a pic.

i'll express to him all of my nut-huggery
ryderstrong69
3/17/07 11:14:41PM
i think he is the poor mans mark kerr
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/07 1:35:44AM

Posted by Stickan

Strange how everybody hated Sylvia, Kimo, Randleman etc. when they were caught juicing but when Bonnar gets caught people just want him back as soon as possible.
If he took it on purpose he's a f-ing cheater and should be banned way longer than just 6 months or whatever his suspension was. IMO the UFC should show where they stand in this matter and release his contract and really make him pay and make him have to work his way back.

Cheaters usually get hated, why not in this case?

NSAC should get a little harder on this too. I'd say a 1½ - 2 year ban would be enough for a first time user of a performance enhancing substance and for life if caught a second time.

btw. Before getting caught I really enjoyed his fights and thought he was a great addition to the UFC LHW division.

but you gotta admit...with roids...he still cant win
jaba
3/18/07 1:56:58AM
Stephan bonnar is way overhyped, he won that bullshit decision againgst Jardine only cuz he was more popular and a loss would die down his fan base. Now look at Jardine, he knocked out griffin the guy who beat bonnar twice and is a top contender, and bonnar is suspended for roiding, ha.
ButterBalls
3/18/07 2:41:36AM
Bonnar is a can, end of story. He may be exciting to watch, but he's still a can.

Even worse, a roiding can. He's like an ugly replica of Kimo.
DavidLee
3/18/07 9:53:07AM
He cheated and still could not win. He is not a top fighter so I say send him to the down to the other club the UFC owns with Joe Riggs.
johny_rotten
3/18/07 11:26:44AM
I think the UFC really dropped the ball on this one. They could have used Stephan as a Palmero, and scared everyone from ever touching steroids. He was popular enough that fighters would be like "wow if they fired Bonnar they will fire anyone." At the same time he wasn't in the middle of any title contention so it wouldn't have hurt the UFC.
waylon_o
3/18/07 11:27:39AM

Posted by DavidLee

He cheated and still could not win. He is not a top fighter so I say send him to the down to the other club the UFC owns with Joe Riggs.

I agree with this totally. He's not that great anyway, so maybe this would be a chance for him to get some wins and a fan base?
ButterBalls
3/18/07 1:06:14PM

Posted by DavidLee

good idea.
somethingclever
3/18/07 5:57:13PM
I know he has at least one more fight on his contract. He will be back in the UFC to finish off this contract. I think it is pretty safe to say that his performance during his remaining fight(s) will determine his future. As long as his next fight is exciting they will probably keep him around win or lose.

I wonder if they did give him the boot where he would go. I imagine that Bodog, Elite, IFL, and probably even Pride would love to have him. As an established TUF fighter these up and coming orgs would love to get their hands on him because he is easy to promote---the American fans already know him.