Future LHW CHAMP???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Future LHW CHAMP???
hathcock32
2/9/07 7:17:41PM
Chuck is the greatest champ of all time...NO question...But when is the time gonna come that he is defeated and who will it be??? The UFC has a bunch of good young talent....Without a doubt in my mind i see Michael Bisping has holding the belt for sometime hes got all the skills to become the next CRO COP of the LHW division????Rampage? Forrest? Jardine? Rashad? GSP has even mentioned he would be interested in fighting 205
AchillesHeel
2/9/07 7:38:49PM
My sense of the contenders...

Rampage Jackson has the best chance, obviously. I'll pick Liddell to win a rematch, unless Rampage shows me something in his next fight, but this should be a war.

If Keith Jardine caught Liddell with a lucky punch like Babalu did, Chuck would be in deep doo-doo. I also think Jardine's low kicks would be a great weapon against Chuck. That said, he's not ready yet.

Before his loss to Jardine, Forrest Griffin appeared to be headed for a title shot. He still could be, but he needs a couple of decisive victories. His standup skills have improved a lot from his TUF days, and if he keeps improving he could be a legit contender.

Rashad Evans has a long way to go. It's not really fair to put him in this list yet, but there aren't a lot of guys more ready than he is.

Lyoto Machida is a bit of a mystery, but I can't ignore his wins over Franklin and Penn.

Some people think Cro Cop could cut to 205 and wear both belts. I don't think he would - he never did in PRIDE - but it's fun to think about him fighting Liddell.
cowcatcher
2/9/07 7:42:44PM
i think a guy like Bisping deserves mention because although he's young, he has a great skill set and the swagger of a guy who knows he's gonna do big things
hathcock32
2/9/07 7:44:59PM
I agree with the Chuck vs Keith Jardine....I think it would be a great fight to watch...Jardines leg kicks are lethal...if he could develop his high kick like his low kick.. WATCH OUT!! But in the end chuck would would pick his spots and KO "THE DEAN OF MEAN"!!
AchillesHeel
2/9/07 7:45:24PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i think a guy like Bisping deserves mention because although he's young, he has a great skill set and the swagger of a guy who knows he's gonna do big things

Good point. I put him in the same "not ready" group with Jardine and Evans right now, but it's not totally crazy to think that Liddell could still be the champ 15-18 months from now. By that time, Bisping could be ready to step up.
hathcock32
2/9/07 7:50:14PM
In my opinion the Division is loaded....You used to hear all about Pride's HW and then UFC WW...i believe this divison is top Heavy with Chuck..but with a bunch of talent below him...With many guys that agianst each other would be great fights. Unfortunately because the UFC is trying to hype these guys for a few more matches we wont see these matches. But Bisping vs Griffen is without a Main Event i would not miss.. Rashad vs Rampage...Im excited about the division
Trapt1nw0nder
2/9/07 8:23:15PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i see alot of holes in Bisping's game and he's not even fought quality opponents...he's been caught by both Ross Pointon and Josh Haynes several times and where if someone else catches him it might be night night

he is a good striker,but he has no takedown defense but yea...he's not ready

thats what everyone thought of Tyson Griffin...but bring in a guy with alot of heart and just as much will to win as you,then we will see if he can handle being in deep water
roadking95th
2/9/07 10:02:34PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

My sense of the contenders...

Rampage Jackson has the best chance, obviously. I'll pick Liddell to win a rematch, unless Rampage shows me something in his next fight, but this should be a war.

If Keith Jardine caught Liddell with a lucky punch like Babalu did, Chuck would be in deep doo-doo. I also think Jardine's low kicks would be a great weapon against Chuck. That said, he's not ready yet.

Before his loss to Jardine, Forrest Griffin appeared to be headed for a title shot. He still could be, but he needs a couple of decisive victories. His standup skills have improved a lot from his TUF days, and if he keeps improving he could be a legit contender.

Rashad Evans has a long way to go. It's not really fair to put him in this list yet, but there aren't a lot of guys more ready than he is.

Lyoto Machida is a bit of a mystery, but I can't ignore his wins over Franklin and Penn.

Some people think Cro Cop could cut to 205 and wear both belts. I don't think he would - he never did in PRIDE - but it's fun to think about him fighting Liddell.

Yea, I agree with a lot of what you say. Rampage has to find his old self. One could also add Bisping to this list.

I don't think Cro Cop will drop down.

This could be a very deep weight class in 12 -18 months, if all these fighters fulfill the what-ifs. Add Babalu and Tito---WOW!!!
hippysmacker
2/9/07 10:54:36PM
I think Chuck retires with the belt in 2 years, unless he keeps hanging on too long. Shogun/Lil NIg would have the best chance to beat him IMO. If they don't come to the UFC, I think he'll get bored and retire or move to heavyweight . 2 years from now I say Raqshad/Bisping will be the 2 most likely.
jay98107
2/10/07 1:07:48AM
Rampage, because not only does he have the ability to beat Chuck, but he is the best LHW when Chuck retires, so he will prolly win the title.
strikefirstgear
2/10/07 1:37:59AM
Who will take out Chuck when the time comes. I have to think about the fighters who beat him already and how they did it. Horn submitted a young and green Liddell, Rampage manhandled him and used GNP, Randy outpunched him long enough to grab a hold for the take down and a dose of patented Couture GNP.

Tito - Certainly should have been able to take him down but his defense was too good and Tito thought he could stand with him.

Babalu - Might have had a chance if he had been a bit more patient and not been so dependant on a gameplan that he put himself in a stupid bad position trying to keep it. Either way, Chucks defense too much!

Who has the best chance?

Rampage - It's a possibility. Especially if Rampage trains to win. I personally dont think he has what it takes anymore to beat Chuck but I am not counting him out.

Rashad - Great Wrestling skills, Superior Takedowns and maybe just maybe the ability to stand with chuck long enough to get ahold of him. Just not yet!

Bisping - Great standup but not to Chucks level. Good ground game but that's not a factor fighting Liddell. His wrestling needs work.

Jardine - Great leg kicks and strong stand up. Maybe enogh to stand with Chuck for a while and even to catch him but I think it would only be a matter of time until the UFC had another Chuck highlight. THIS is who I think Chucks next opponant will be.

Griffin - Not enough confidence in his game yet. He has very good stand up and good submission (again to no concequence in this fight) He certainly has heart and a strong chin. Big question here is once you prove you can stand with Chuck (and I am not sure he can) what do you do then? Answer: Nothing! His stand up is not good enough and neither is his GNP.

All in all I think Rampage has the best chance this year. Rashad Evans has a true shot in a year or two. The person who beats Chuck will ne to be able to stand with him until they can unleash something more! Only Rampage and Rashad have that something more.

Just my (long winded sorry) opinion.
OchoCinco
2/10/07 8:22:06AM
I just wish some of these guys would fight each other so we could see who really deserves a chance to fight Chuck.
strikefirstgear
2/10/07 1:21:05PM

Posted by OchoCinco

I just wish some of these guys would fight each other so we could see who really deserves a chance to fight Chuck.

DITTO to that!
cowcatcher
2/10/07 1:49:11PM
when they do fight each other(like jardine and griffin did) the picture just gets more clouded, had griffin won jardine's name wouldn't even be mentioned here. any one of these guys can beat each other because, outside of rampage and chuck, they are very evenly matched, maybe not in their skill sets, but in terms of overall ability and amount of training under their belts
Unkoman
2/10/07 1:50:37PM
Non eof these guys are smart enough to beat chuck yet.
Chuck seems to be able to goad people into standing with him and when someone does they just try and STAND ther and swing. To beat Chuck you gotta move your feet and use Jabs and make yourself an opening.

I thought Forrest would show some promise but all his fights he seems to want to show his chin and his ability to trade. If he swallowed his ego and tryed to actually box with him it might be Lidell trying to take him down.
shawneth
2/10/07 4:36:24PM
Hmmm, im not sure any of them will be able to Dethrone the Iceman. I'd say Rampage has the best chance. Rashad wont be able to relly on takedowns against someone with takedown defence like Chucks. I havnt seen much of Lyoto so I cannot comment on him taking the title. Unless UFC signs some Top Pride LWW, i see Chuck retiring with his belt. But then again we have to wait and see what Rampage does.
crushedbacon
9/19/07 2:03:53AM
Shogun is gonna go on a run.....whos gonna stop him? Seriously, its a tight division but whos gonna beat Rua? Nobody, if Bisbing's smart he'll go middleweight, and i dont know who said it but GSP cant go 205 he's a ww thats a 30 pound jump, maybe middleweight........bisping vs GSP down the road? or maybe anderson silva? But the future of the LHW div will be on display against Forrest Saturday night
krisopotamus
9/19/07 12:10:06PM

Posted by hathcock32

Chuck is the greatest champ of all time...NO question...But when is the time gonna come that he is defeated and who will it be??? The UFC has a bunch of good young talent....Without a doubt in my mind i see Michael Bisping has holding the belt for sometime hes got all the skills to become the next CRO COP of the LHW division????Rampage? Forrest? Jardine? Rashad? GSP has even mentioned he would be interested in fighting 205

GSP would go for the middleweight after he gets his welterweight back. Not 205