The future of the heavyweight division

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The future of the heavyweight division
ricoj3323
2/4/08 2:22:20AM
well after this weekend I think, the heavyweight is getting somewhat clear for me

I think frank mir needs to fight werdum
Brock should fight like antoni hardonk or maybe even tim sylvia because big tim looks like a turtle thats on his back when he gets taken to the ground
I think if arlovski beats jake then he better get a title shot
cro cop should fight hardonk
gonzaga should fight eddie sanchez
a name you should look out for is shane carwin, the ufc just signed him and hes a beast.
vera should fight cro cop or gonzaga

anyone else got any more possible matchups
Jackelope
2/4/08 3:20:51AM
Gonzaga or Crocop would absolutely destroy Vera, IMO. I think Vera's only real chance is to shed off that b.s. stomach fat and back fat he's got and drop down to 205. I can't see him sitting in there with any of the top dogs in that division. I'd certainly like to see him rematch Frank Mir, though.

It'll be interesting to see who they put Lesnar up against next for sure. Sylvia would probably tool him up on the feet and the distance Sylvia can create on the ground might nullify his GnP, so I don't see him being anywheres near ready for that fight.

Smd277
2/4/08 9:45:18AM
the heavy weight needs to step it up i love big tim but he isnt the most entertaining fighter so him being champion isnt the best thing for ufc, if cro cop can get back into his pride form it will really bring the fan base in the hw, mir would have to have more fights like this and gonzaga would have to get more consistant
AchillesHeel
2/4/08 11:47:40AM

Posted by Jackelope

Gonzaga or Crocop would absolutely destroy Vera, IMO. I think Vera's only real chance is to shed off that b.s. stomach fat and back fat he's got and drop down to 205. I can't see him sitting in there with any of the top dogs in that division. I'd certainly like to see him rematch Frank Mir, though.

While I can see Vera dropping to 205 and being competitive, I'm not sure he would crack the Top 10 there. Do you think he could take Rampage, Hendo, Chuck, Wandy, Shogun, Forrest, Jardine, Machida, Tito or Rashad? I think he'd be a tough matchup for Tito, Rashad, Sokoudjou, Houston Alexander, and Thiago Silva. I think he'd be the clear underdog against everyone else I just named. Pick your poison, Brandon.
gartface
2/4/08 12:38:09PM
I think that after the big nog/verdum match, the division is wide open. Especially when Heath Herring beats Kongo. I agree that Brandon Vera should drop, and I find that he'd be extremely competitive at 205.

Gonzaga should fight Sylvia since they're both coming off 2 high profile losses.

Cro Cop if he ever responds to UFC should get a jobber like Antoni Hardonk to get him rolling.

Lesnar will probably end up getting Eddie Sanchez or Soa Palelei. It's going to be interesting.
tylerlee123
2/4/08 4:02:25PM
Ya i cant really see Vera sticking around the guys in heavyweight division are just too big for him
tylerlee123
2/4/08 4:04:04PM
I would really love to see Arlovski - Mir i dont know why i just want to see this fight
Bizaboom
2/4/08 11:09:08PM
If Brock can polish up his game, he will be a good, exciting fighter. Just what the UFC Heavyweight Division needs
Pinkalicous
2/4/08 11:16:08PM

Lesnor is still to inexperienced but once he gets there he will be a force.

I would also like to see Andre fight more.
big_timmy
2/4/08 11:39:14PM
When it comes to the Heavyweight division, stocks are falling. The pride fighters havent really done much in the UFC as of yet other than big nog.

The most important thing White needs to do right now, is secure Arlovski, and by putting him on the PRELIMINARY CARD, its hardly helping his cause. Arlovski fights like his a light heavy, while pretty much the rest of the heavys fight like heavys, except maybe Mir. This is why he needs to be in there, to mix things up.

But Kongo has no ground game, Lesnar needs experience, Mir is slowly getting back there, Sylvia fights like a man on stilts, Vera is too small, Big nog has earned his spot, Arlovski is on the way out, not skill wise of course, Sanchez and the aussie fighter Sao are just fodder atm, O'brien is a slogger, which is good, cro cop and gonzaga have to be prove themselves again after losses.

I believe we need to see:
Kongo vs Big nog (only if kongo wins) - this would make kongo either prove himself, or piss off.

Arlovski vs Mir (and the winner gets a title shot)

Lesnar vs Vera

Sanchez vs Gonzaga

Cro cop vs Werdum

And to really throw things up there, i would love to see Rampage lose his light heavy belt to forrest and see Rampage stack on the pounds and fight Heavy.

This is how i see things. It may be a lot different to yours, but i think these would be some interesting fights.