Future hall of famers????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Future hall of famers????
smcdonald
11/18/09 12:03:44AM
Saw the topic there of Lesnar possibly becoming a hall of famer one day so i thought it would be good to see who you guys think deserves to be a UFC hall of famer in the future. i will list a couple...tell me if you agree and add your own.

Anderson Silva
Rich Franklin
Evan Tanner
etc....rattle off some of your own and do you agree with the above???
jae_1833
11/18/09 12:09:03AM
All......add: Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Georges St. Pierre, Chuck Liddell, and maybe even Tito Ortiz eventually.
Twenty20Dollars
11/18/09 12:48:47AM
Penn, GSP, Ortiz.

Dont know about Franklin, Tanner. But it would be nice to see them get in.
vomitshovel
11/18/09 1:58:19AM
I think depending in the performance of his next 2-5 fights, Lyoto Machida deserves it. As does Anderson Silva.
Lyoto i think just for the fact that he's the only karate using dude to get anywhere.
And to me he is the ultimate warrior he was born to fight literaally when you look at his upbringing he is ALL about combat.
Also i think eventually Forrest griffin deserves it in a while, alson in like 5 fights or so even if he loses that guy has shown what hard work can do in this sport.
copcopps
11/18/09 2:09:46AM
I would love to see Jens Pulver in the HoF. Forrest Griffin might also be one just because he's the first TUF winner
State_Champ
11/18/09 8:10:16AM
what are the criteria for the UFC Hall of Fame?
I've been wondering for a while about this.
Can any one help?
emfleek
11/18/09 8:43:35AM
Anderson Silva
BJ Penn
Georges St. Pierre
Joe Rogan
Lyoto Machida
Forrest Griffin
Quinton Jackson
Frank Mir
Pat Militech
Matt Hughes
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria
Tito Ortiz
Evan Tanner
cowcatcher
11/18/09 10:01:18AM
im not sold on machida being there yet, he just doesnt have the UFC fight resume that it takes at this point although he has a lot of time left in the sport so that could change. mir is another i dont think is in just yet, but that will probably change with just a couple of more wins. as far as brock goes, no, not at this point. he is a polarizing figure and a great draw, but he isnt a HOFer. if he comes back from this illness then he has a legit shot, but at this point in time his career in the UFC isnt even something thats on his radar im assuming, he needs to get healthy for his and his familys sakes. every other name listed is someday going to be in there IMO.
Violence108
11/18/09 10:09:28AM
Tito Ortiz- 5 time Champion
Matt Hughes - greatest welter weight Champ on all time
Anderson Silva- Destoryed the Middle weight divison and some of the LHW

idk of anyone else yet that desveres it yet
State_Champ
11/18/09 12:29:01PM

Posted by Violence108

Not for long......
GSP is quickly closing in on "greatest WW champ of all time" title.

Arguably, GSP is already the greatest. But personally, I think he needs a few more title defenses.
Aaronno9
11/18/09 1:07:35PM
Soon -

The Ice Man
Matt Hughes
Tito Ortiz
Jens Pulver (mabeys)

Eventually -

Anderson
GSP
BJ Penn (All three of these guys are going to be dominant champs for along time, imo)
Forrest (First winner of TUF, one of the most popular fighters in the UFC, former champ. People might disagree but I think he deserves it eventually)
Franklin (16 fights, only 4 losses to 3 top guys. Hes pretty much been used by the UFC to fill in main events with no title fight, getting moved around between 185, 195 and 205, but hes never complained. Really has fought a whos who over the last 2 years.)

Honestly, the amount of top level fighters coming through nowdays, these lists are going to grow and grow to the point where you have to do something really special to be considered. I mean, look at Jon Fitch, hes had like 12 fights in the UFC, only lost to GSP, hed be champ right now if GSP wasnt around, and hes still got years of fighting for the UFC ahead of him, but he'll probably never be considered just becouse of how many other top guys we have nowdays.

emfleek
11/18/09 1:14:18PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Soon -

The Ice Man

He's already in.
spikerman19
11/18/09 2:58:00PM

Posted by emfleek

Anderson Silva
BJ Penn
Georges St. Pierre
Joe Rogan
Lyoto Machida
Forrest Griffin
Quinton Jackson
Frank Mir
Pat Militech
Matt Hughes
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria
Tito Ortiz
Evan Tanner

I would say no to:
Griffin
Jackson

This might sound weird but what abut Sylvia just for his title fights.
emfleek
11/18/09 3:11:46PM

Posted by spikerman19

I would say no to:
Griffin
Jackson

Dana has a hard on for both guys. And let's not forget about the fight that most people point to when asked about the turning point of the UFC...
cloud301336
11/18/09 3:30:00PM
HENDO!!!!!
Aaronno9
11/18/09 4:19:24PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Aaronno9

Soon -

The Ice Man

He's already in. [/QUOTE

Silly me. Everytime I see a thread like this, first names that spring to mind are Chuck and Hughes. Totally forgot Chuck was already in.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/18/09 6:08:29PM
Huges
St Pierre
Anderson Silva
Penn

I get Gracie, Shamrock, Severn, liddell, Couture but why is Coleman in there
higdon10
11/18/09 6:09:32PM
Tito Ortiz
Matt Hughes
Anderson Silva
Jens Pulver
BJ Penn
and MAYBE Rich Franklin
Gladiator
11/18/09 7:45:26PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Violence108

Not for long......
GSP is quickly closing in on "greatest WW champ of all time" title.

Arguably, GSP is already the greatest. But personally, I think he needs a few more title defenses.

Not sure i agree with that. Im a GSP nuthugger but he has a ways to go before he will surpass hughes' credentials. Just to put it in perspective, hughes has 7 succesful title defenses and st. pierre has 3 thus far. Not saying it wont happen, in fact i agree it probably will, but i dont think it will be anytime soon. GSP has annihilated all competition so far but hughes was pretty dominant in his hayday as well, not to mention he has way more fights in the ufc overall.
smcdonald
11/19/09 12:51:25AM
I think definately Rich Franklin. He is kind of an ambassador for the UFC or MMA in general...he has been the main event in new places all the time. He has been champion and i dont think i have seen one boring fight of his...except for maybe the Yushin Okami fight... but every Okami fight seems to end up a bit slow lol imo
jae_1833
11/19/09 2:06:27PM
bt they will ever have Hendo in there if he signs with another org, however there should eventually be an MMA HOF and he would definately deserve a spot IMO.
Chuteboxer
11/19/09 2:47:55PM
Above anyone else, I honestly think Hughes should be put in next. After him would probably be Silva.
Kizzzzurt
11/19/09 2:48:04PM
BJ Penn
GSP(if the dominance continues over the next few fights)
The Spider of course

If Arlovski is still eligible since moving onto another organization, I'd really like to see him added into there. He was a very entertaining fighter to watch and always attracted fans.
DJSyko
11/19/09 4:02:23PM
Forrest is guaranteed HOF status, the guy is part of the reason why MMA is so big, even if he never won a fight again he will be in the HOF no doubt.

other guaranteed HOF's

Tito Ortiz
Matt Hughes
BJ Penn
Anderson Silva
GSP

Possible future HOF's

Hendo(if he signs back to the UFC)
Rampage
Big Nog
Wandy
Vitor Belfort
Rich franklin
Machida
Lesnar (if he gets healthy again)
Pat Miletich
Boo_Radley21
11/19/09 9:28:28PM
At first when I saw Griffin I thought no way but some of these comments have got me thinking that he really was in one of the most important fights in the UFC, and has come out on top in some really key fights, but also lost a couple times to some of the best in the world. I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards him being in it now. I know I want him to be.

Guys I think should be in soon/will be in if they continue dominating:
Jens Pulver
Matt Hughes
Anderson Silva
Georges St. Pierre
Brock Lesnar
Forrest Griffin
DJSyko
11/19/09 9:42:44PM

Posted by spikerman19

Posted by emfleek

Anderson Silva
BJ Penn
Georges St. Pierre
Joe Rogan
Lyoto Machida
Forrest Griffin
Quinton Jackson
Frank Mir
Pat Militech
Matt Hughes
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria
Tito Ortiz
Evan Tanner

I would say no to:
Griffin
Jackson

you say no to Forrest and Rampage, but you think Tim Sylvia is in with a good shot?
Violence108
11/20/09 1:14:37PM
I think if your a Former Champ you should be in The Fall of Fame at some points, its not easy getting the Belt .
so fighters like
Rich Franklin
Forrest Griffin
Rashad Evans
Rampage Jackson
Evan Tanner
Tim Sylvia
AA
Brock Lesnar
Matt Hughes
GSP
Matt Serra
BJ Penn
Sean Sherk
Lil Evil

should at least be considerd every time
AchillesHeel
11/20/09 2:54:41PM
I see 5 current UFC fighters who are "no-brainers" for the HoF:

Matt Hughes: 16-5 in the UFC; tied with C. Liddell for most wins in the UFC, all-time; 9-3 in UFC title fights; tied with R. Couture for most wins in UFC title fights; 5 consecutive title defenses, tied with A. Silva and T. Ortiz for most, all-time; 2 different 6-fight winning streaks (tied with several others for 10th-place, although he's the only one of them with two such winning streaks).

Anderson Silva: 10-0 in the UFC; longest winning streak in the history of the UFC; 5 consecutive title defenses, tied with M. Hughes and T. Ortiz for most, all-time.

Tito Ortiz: 14-6-1 in the UFC; tied with R. Couture for 3rd-most UFC wins, all-time; 6 wins in UFC title fights, tied with GSP for 3rd-most, all-time; 5 consecutive title defenses, tied with A. Silva and M. Hughes for most, all-time.

Georges St. Pierre: 13-2 in the UFC; 5th-most wins, all-time; 6-fight winning streak (tied with several others for 10th place); 6 wins in UFC title fights, tied with T. Ortiz for 3rd-most, all-time; 3 consecutive title defenses, 7th all-time.

Rich Franklin: 12-4 in the UFC; 6th-most wins, all-time; 7 consecutive UFC wins, tied with 4 others for 5th-place.

I expect B.J. Penn to earn a place in the Hall of Fame, provided he wants one. He says he wants to be considered one of the greatest of all time, and I have no reason not to believe him, but he hasn't done it yet, imo. And it's way too early to even mention Brock Lesnar. Lyoto Machida is only 31, and Shogun Rua turns only 28 next week.
Rush
11/20/09 4:27:25PM

Posted by AchillesHeel
Lyoto Machida is only 31, and Shogun Rua turns only 28 next week.

Not that I totally disagree with your list, but GSP is only 28 as well. Added to which I would discount Rua for the sole fact that he hasn't fought much in the UFC.

Of the ones mentioned in this thread, these are definite NOs IMO (as a general comment, I think if you've been caught with banned substances, I think you're out)
Forrest Griffin - other than being the first TUF winner and a one time champion, what has he done? And before someone lectures me about the Grifin-Bonnar fight, I don't buy the hype. TUF brought the UFC's popularity up, not Forrest Griffin. Also, Diego was also a TUF 1 winner and a much more dominant fighter on the show than Forrest. Not saying Diego should be in, but I'm just saying that being a TUF winner should not be considered for a HoF entry.

Quinton Jackson - more suitable champions that are currently not in, hasn't been much of a champion

Frank Mir - more suitable champions that are currently not in

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria - Not many fights in the UFC. Only one time champion

Shogun - not enough UFC fights and no title

Jens Pulver - more suitable champions that are currently not in

Tim Sylvia - Had spotty career in UFC.

Brock Lesnar - not enough fights and there is no assurances that he will be fighting again

Tanner - The guy had a great run in the UFC, but only one belt. Post humous sympathy may get him a spot though. However, I feel there are a number of other candidates that should come before him.

Henderson - Spotty showing in UFC, no championships, few UFC fights

Wanderlei Silva - Horrible record in UFC and even possibly a losing record, few fights

Matt Serra - Unless there is an award for running into a spinning backfist from the same guy twice, uh no, not even close.

Sean Sherk - UFC record is not that great, not many titles.

Evans - time will tell.

Guys that are on the cusp
Pat Militech - had a good run in the UFC, spotty elsewhere, but this is the UFC HoF not MMA HoF. He should be considered in the next couple years.

BJ Penn - Other's have better records, but BJ has pretty much only fought the best (like Randy has).

Franklin - depends on how he finishes his career. His record is decent, but in terms of titles, he is pretty much the same as Jens IMO

GSP - The guy still has a bright future in the UFC. Saying GSP should be in the HoF is like saying we should put Crosby or Ovechkin in the hockey HoF. Just too early, but it will come barring a disaster.

Machida - needs more title def.

Vitor Belfort - will depend on next few years and how he does in UFC. His banned substance issue is a blemish, but it didn't happen in the UFC, so It's debatable.

Arlovski - similar boat as Pat Miletich, but lower on the ladder. He may get a spot for the most diverse set of hair styles, each with their own ego, on a fighter.

The ones that are common names on this thread and not mentioned above are the definite no brainers for the next 2-3 years, depending on the number they induct each year. Add BJM and Bruce Buffer to the list of no brainers.

I think some people are missing the fact that his is the UFC HoF, not MMA HoF