The Future of the MW division

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Future of the MW division
ohiostate1016
11/8/07 12:50:31PM
OK, we all think that the UFC MW division is in peril. So many a poster on here has tried to solve the "problem" in the division. I don't think that the problem needs solved. I've said this many times before, but every division in the UFC has gone through times like this:

LW-Jens Pulver left the UFC with the title, and the company eventually disbanded the entire division. Eventually, a new champ was crowned (Sean Sherk), and the division is the deeptest in the UFC.

WW-Matt Hughes ran through all comers, and the UFC had to bring in Frank Trigg. This allowed talent to develop, and contenders arose (GSP, Fitch, Sanchez, Koscheck, Karo, etc).

LHW-Never an extended period of being down, but Chuck did dominate this division for almost 4 years. Babalu shouldn't have gotten 2 shots at the belt. Then the UFC signed Rampage Jackson and Chuck got KTFO.

HW-Earlier this year. But then Randy Couture came back and beat Tim Sylvia and the UFC signed Cro Cop, Heath Herring, Big Nog, and Brock Lesnar. Plus, homegrown talent like Cheick Kongo stepped up.

So this is not the end of the MW division. Anderson Silva may look dominant right now, but someone will beat him. But who? Ahhhhhh...rest assured. The answer does not lie outside of the UFC with the likes of Paulo Filho, Denis Kang, Frank Trigg, or Matt Lindland. The answer is also not Dan Henderson. Nor do I think that GSP or Ryo Chonan should move up from the WW divison. I don't care if Mike Bisping drops, it doesn't make a difference. But this guy will:

Demian Maia (6-0) is a multiple time BJJ and Abu Dabi champion. He has some of the best submissions in all of MMA. I'll admit that I doubted him at UFC 77 against Ryan Jensen, but now I believe. Maia submitted Jensen in less than three minutes in his UFC debut. Demian also has wins over Lukas Chlewicki (5-2), Vitelmo Kubis Bandeira (7-4-1), Gustavo Machado (13-7-1), Fabio Negao (8-2), and Ryan Stout (9-7-1). So, unlike a lot of guys, Maia's record is not padded. At 28, and a world class athlete, he's the real deal.

As far as Maia's background goes, he's one of the best BJJ fighters in the world. You can check out his videos at www.youtube.com/DemianMaia if you want to see proof. He has wins in BJJ over Jacare and even Gabe Gonzaga and Gabe Mundial. Watch out for this kid.
Branwest
11/8/07 2:55:21PM
Kongo, homegrown talent? Are you from France?
Almost every weight division has went through this sort of thing, but you have to remember, this is still a relatively young sport, that's still developing and more and more people are trying it out as a career. Fighters are getting better, much more well-rounded, etc. But what's wrong with trying out new ideas that might improve a division. Nothing. I completely agree with MMAnomale and his posts. They need to sign some more talent in the MW division such as Kang, Filho, Hendo needs to drop, etc.
Nobody said the MW division was in peril. Or at least I hope not. I still see nothing wrong in commenting on trying to bring more talent to the superior organization in MMA so we can see better fights and who IS Truly the best MMA fighter in the world at that weight. That's what's so disapointing with Fedor not coming to the UFC.
Branwest
11/8/07 2:59:55PM
This is what the whole TUF show is all about. Trying to find young new talent to mold. There will always be great fighters, and new ones will ciontinue to sprout up, in all org's, like your Chris Horidecki's or your Urijah Faber's. New talent is continuing to emerge.
We haven't even seen some of the fighters that will be the champions of their weight class in the UFC a couple years from now. You just never know. That's what I love about this young, fledgling sport. I've been watching since around 97 and loved it since. In has continued to change and mold, and it's fun watching it all unfold.
But still though, how do you know the answer doesn't lie in someone like Filho or Hendo?? Come on.......
ohiostate1016
11/8/07 3:07:23PM
About the homegrown talent thing, I am talking about guys who got their start in the UFC. These are guys who aren't big names when they are signed (like Nog, Cro Cop, Rampage, Wandi, Shogun, etc). I didn't mean that I'm from France or anything, but I meant that the UFC needs to develop some in-house talent. Here's another guy in the MW divsion that fits the bill: Alan Belcher. He has great potential.

I didn't say that the UFC CAN'T sign guys like Trigg, Filho, Kang, and Lindland. I just said that that is not the only option. Maia is a beast, and people don't realized that. That was my main point.
Copenhagen
11/8/07 6:46:14PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

About the homegrown talent thing, I am talking about guys who got their start in the UFC. These are guys who aren't big names when they are signed (like Nog, Cro Cop, Rampage, Wandi, Shogun, etc). I didn't mean that I'm from France or anything, but I meant that the UFC needs to develop some in-house talent. Here's another guy in the MW divsion that fits the bill: Alan Belcher. He has great potential.

I didn't say that the UFC CAN'T sign guys like Trigg, Filho, Kang, and Lindland. I just said that that is not the only option. Maia is a beast, and people don't realized that. That was my main point.

The UFC doesn't need any "homegrown" talent. That's what the lower orgs are for. UFC signs big names, not amateurs, and I'd like them to keep it that way.
ohiostate1016
11/8/07 9:09:10PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by ohiostate1016

The UFC doesn't need any "homegrown" talent. That's what the lower orgs are for. UFC signs big names, not amateurs, and I'd like them to keep it that way.

I didn't mean that the UFC should sign amateurs. I said that the UFC should sign somewhat proven guys from lesser orgs and develop them. That is what I meant by "homegrown talent." I didn't mean that the UFC should start scouting high school wrestling matches or anything. To me, "homegrown talent" refers to guys who made their name in the UFC (i.e. Chuck Liddell, Mark Kerr, Tito Oritz, Randy Couture, etc).

I also don't care if they sign big names-they have to see PPVs. But I think that too many people look past the building aspect of MMA. Every fight on every card is important. (That, by the way, is why MMA is better than boxing).
Naturaldisaster
11/9/07 1:46:11PM
I know this is about the mw division but why do you say babalu shouldn't have gotten 2 title shots? after losing to chuck the 1st time babalu won 10 straight fights. Beating guys like Trevor Prangly and Shogun and jeremy horn (in the same night). He also beat Chael Sonnan and Mike van arsdale. I think those are some pretty tough opponents, and definitly earns you a title shot.
MMAnomale
11/9/07 3:34:14PM
I definately agree with the fact that that's a big plus on why MMA is better than boxing: because every event on every card matters, not to mention they contain more fights.