Future of Anthony Johnson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Future of Anthony Johnson
Next Page »
imanidiot777
4/8/08 8:58:33PM
From what I have seen of him, and especially in the Speer fight, Johnson can pack a lot of power in a quick punch. The announcers said he comes from a wrestling background as well which I haven't seen myself. That combination seems pretty deadly considering he is really young and has a lot of time to improve. Anyone see him being a title contender or champion in a few years?
Pookie
4/8/08 9:05:54PM
Hes in a tough division for his style, as there are probably numerous people who can outwrestle him.

But if he can put as much into his sprawl and cardio as he does his striking he could become the Liddell of the WW division. But that is a big if....
xposipx
4/8/08 9:06:53PM
Too hard to predict. I'd say no just because it's a tough weight class. I think even in a couple of years a guy like Karo would beat him easily. Someone with superb takedowns and moderate-to-good BJJ should handle him. Also, someone with more technical striking and good cardio could probably wear him down and pick him apart in later rounds. That being said, I like him a lot and hope he becomes a contender.
Mayhem13
4/8/08 9:24:07PM
I'd like to see Alves vs Johnson
three_days_of_grey
4/8/08 9:37:02PM
This is like asking if the Miami Dolphins could be Superbowl contenders in a couple of years because they beat a JC football team. With all due respect to Speers, he is hardly a worthy measure of an opponents talent.
I'd like to see Johnson fight Chris Wilson, Dustin Hazelett, or Fioravanti.. However since both Hazelett and Fioravanti are on TUF 7 finale..

-OUT-
MMA
4/9/08 12:29:11AM
I didn't know this, but he has a wrestling background. If he can improve his wrestlings to withstand the TDs of fighters like GSP, Fitch, and Koscheck, he would be a dangerous contender.
WhiteWidow
4/9/08 12:31:55AM
after seeing these performances i think he could beat davis or most strikers except thiago who would be elusive and tko or sub tony, GSP vs Johnson or Serra vs Johnson would be interesting, the guy is so big for welterweight and has such a big reach and still packs alot of muscle and power, he didnt look this big in the past, he probably cuts weight but i mean he almost dwarfed speer whos on the bigger side of the welterweight division and out strengthed him which was shocking itself, i also found it strange tommy didnt pull guard and just stood there taking shots, i think tony could be a number 10 or 9 maybe an 8 spot but i dont know if he can beat a real good wrestler like karo or kos or fitch, clementi pretty much dominated once it hit the ground
jocka
4/9/08 6:29:47AM

Posted by WhiteWidow

after seeing these performances i think he could beat davis or most strikers except thiago who would be elusive and tko or sub tony, GSP vs Johnson or Serra vs Johnson would be interesting, the guy is so big for welterweight and has such a big reach and still packs alot of muscle and power, he didnt look this big in the past, he probably cuts weight but i mean he almost dwarfed speer whos on the bigger side of the welterweight division and out strengthed him which was shocking itself, i also found it strange tommy didnt pull guard and just stood there taking shots, i think tony could be a number 10 or 9 maybe an 8 spot but i dont know if he can beat a real good wrestler like karo or kos or fitch, clementi pretty much dominated once it hit the ground

I don t understand and you can put Johnson and GSP in the same sentence, we are talking about a guy that just beaten a one dimentional fighter, it was cool to see a wrestler get KFO but he needs to fight someone in the top 20 first then we will see.
SpiderSilva
4/9/08 8:56:04AM
Speer looked small next to him was he fighting @ 155 before the fight? Johnson does look tough a nice guy too met him at the show he has a bright future hes kind of like Alexander @170 all stand up no ground a few years and he might get better all depends on the camp
gsquat
4/9/08 9:52:24AM
As a fighter, Nipple-head Johnson is an extremely explosive fighter. His striking is as fast and as powerful as it gets. I think he'll be making his way into top contention. I just don't like his racist comment before the Chad Reiner fight.
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/9/08 11:14:42AM

Posted by jocka

I don t understand and you can put Johnson and GSP in the same sentence, we are talking about a guy that just beaten a one dimentional fighter, it was cool to see a wrestler get KFO but he needs to fight someone in the top 20 first then we will see.

YES
tylerlee123
4/10/08 3:48:34PM
Anthony will turn on that little switch he talks about when he's fighting lower caliber fighters but when he fights a real 170lb contender we'll see how good he is, I belive he'll be submitted in one of his next fights
Pookie
4/10/08 3:50:33PM

Posted by tylerlee123

Anthony will turn on that little switch he talks about when he's fighting lower caliber fighters but when he fights a real 170lb contender we'll see how good he is, I belive he'll be submitted in one of his next fights

thats kind of a silly thing to say, since the majority of 170 fighters have no submission skills at all. You should at least see who his next opponent(s) is before you make such boisterous claims.
silverbullet
4/10/08 4:50:10PM
Let's all have an orgasm because Anthony Johnson beat up on Tommy Speer. He must be the next prodigy.
gsquat
4/10/08 5:38:24PM

Posted by silverbullet

Let's all have an orgasm because Anthony Johnson beat up on Tommy Speer. He must be the next prodigy.

I'll opt out of this group orgasm you're proposing, and instead ask a question. What in the hell does "CC= White Melvin Guillard" mean?
coldchillin
4/10/08 5:58:52PM
The UFC should have Johnson fight Chris Wilson next. That fight makes perfect sense for both fighters right now.
Pookie
4/10/08 6:11:28PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by silverbullet

I'll opt out of this group orgasm you're proposing, and instead ask a question. What in the hell does "CC= White Melvin Guillard" mean?

It means he has a thing for trashing pride fighters.
WhiteWidow
4/10/08 6:28:02PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by WhiteWidow

i didnt say anthony would win i just said it would be interesting please read my post thoroughly before talking, besides, I got 2 words for you with the GSP avatar and obvious nuthugger.......Matt......Serra or can you say Thiago Alves for champ in late 'O8
silverbullet
4/10/08 6:32:11PM

Posted by gsquat

It means that both fighters rely on their stand-up almost exclusively and avoid taking the fight to the ground.

and i don't have a thing for trashing fighters, i just have a thing against fanbois
gsquat
4/10/08 6:38:45PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by gsquat

It means that both fighters rely on their stand-up almost exclusively and avoid taking the fight to the ground.

and i don't have a thing for trashing fighters, i just have a thing against fanbois

Oh, for a sencond I thought maybe it wasn't a retarded comment and I just took it the wrong way. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

Pookie
4/10/08 6:45:12PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by gsquat

Oh, for a sencond I thought maybe it wasn't a retarded comment and I just took it the wrong way. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

silverbullet
4/10/08 9:02:15PM

Posted by gsquat

I am not sure why you expected anything else from me
NatedawgThaM
4/10/08 9:11:59PM
His has a very promising career and his potential is through the room. His size advantage is just sick. How he even makes weight is just beyond me. He has crazy striking and his sprawl look real good against Speer. As long as going down to that weight does not make him have crappy cardio and as long as he has decent submission defense, I can see him being champ! Yes, with cardio and sub defense, I think he can KTFO Fitch and GSP.
Rush
4/10/08 10:49:29PM
As I said in another discussion

"I'm not thinking much of him right now. He looked good the other night, but so have so many other fighters that were thought to be the next big thing. Then BANG! next thing you know they've lost 2 or 3 in a row. "

Basically he'll have to fight another 3 or 4 fights (and win) before he can start facing top competition.
fonduktoe
4/11/08 3:58:14AM
lets not get carried away here.
two words: houston alexander
a flash knockout does not a title contender make
there is potential here but i'll reiterate myself-
State_Champ
4/11/08 2:15:15PM
anthony johnson is really good
hippysmacker
4/11/08 3:23:08PM

Posted by fonduktoe

two words: houston alexander
a flash knockout does not a title contender make
there is potential here but i'll reiterate myself-

Prudence and reason are always welcome
cowcatcher
4/11/08 3:35:22PM
heres my thoughts on the new flavor of the month from an earlier thread:

who has he beaten? thats my big issue here, if he walked in and beat a guy like karo or alves then id be more inclined to give him big praise. he does have a lot going for him, length(height and reach), explosiveness, ko power, and decent wrestling. but these things are also possesed by guys like guillard, alexander, randleman and lesnar and the achilles heel that all of those guys share with him is sub defense. time and time again us guys that are keyboard warriors come out and say "if he improves his sub defense he will be a force", yet that hasnt happened with any of them, so is this even possible with guys that rely so heavily on their natural athletic ability? im not sure but so far its been a resounding no. the point is he hasnt done a whole hell of a lot yet, but he definately has an upside, i just need to see more before i call him a contender.
SociopathX
4/12/08 2:47:00PM
he'll make a good school janitor in a few years.
gartface
4/12/08 3:48:04PM
I think he has a lot of potential. 78" reach is phenomenal at Welterweight, and he has quick hands. In a year or two he'll be somewhere in the top 15-20 category.
Pages: [1] 2